Easter Jazz offerings, but no Bunny Berigan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Easter Jazz offerings, but no Bunny Berigan.

Sat 15 April
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

As well as playing listeners' requests in all styles of jazz, Alyn Shipton focuses on memories of the American pianist Horace Parlan, who died in February. A veteran of the bands of Chalres Mingus and Sonny Stitt, Parlan overcame polio, which restricted the use of his right hand, to create one of the most original and unorthodox keyboard styles in jazz. After moving to Denmark in the 1970s, he made a significant contribution to European jazz.

A longer list than usual for a 90 minute programme. Tracks 2, 8 and 14 are particularly looked forward to.Track 12: anyone else here remember pre-rock'n'roller Frankie Laine?

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    After celebrating Mardi Gras New Orleans-style, Geoffrey Smith returns to the Big Easy for the joys of Easter, with star turns by local heroes, from Bunk Johnson and Lester Young to Trombone Shorty.

No sounds of surprise because this is yet another repeat; but don't complain: you don't pay the licence fee for listening to the radio.

Ahead of Mardi Gras, Geoffrey Smith introduces new and old music from New Orleans.

Mon 17 April
    11.00 Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch with a set by British/Bahraini trumpeter and flugelhorn player Yazz Ahmed and her septet, recorded at this year's Bristol International Jazz Festival.

Soweto Kinch introduces a set from trumpeter and flugelhorn player Yazz Ahmed.

It's quite a good weekend for female jazz. On Tuesday 18th Jamie Cullum comperes a live performance by the London-based all-female collective NĂ©rija at 7 pm on Radio 2; meanwhile from 11 pm, same day, drummer-percussionist Steve Noble, imv one of the best in this country, is among those featured on Late Junction, on Radio 3.
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 14-04-17, 15:45. Reason: Just checked Alyn's JRR list
  • Rcartes
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

anyone else here remember pre-rock'n'roller Frankie Laine?
    Showing my (and your) age here. Yes, I remember Frankie Laine, and other figures from that era, including Slim Whitman - but I've been trying to forget them ever since....

However, it does look like an edition of JRR to look forward to.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Rcartes View Post
      Showing my (and your) age here. Yes, I remember Frankie Laine, and other figures from that era, including Slim Whitman - but I've been trying to forget them ever since....

However, it does look like an edition of JRR to look forward to.
      ...and I believe his ghost is riding in the sky.

Comment

• Rcartes
        • Feb 2011

Actually, there was worse, far worse to follow: the deadly Trad boom for one, as I was reminded by the trailer today for Geoffrey Smith's New Orleans session: a terrible track by Ken Colyer, redolent with that awful clanking banjo that so badly afflicted stuff from that period.

Comment

• CGR
          • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Rcartes View Post
          Actually, there was worse, far worse to follow: the deadly Trad boom for one, as I was reminded by the trailer today for Geoffrey Smith's New Orleans session: a terrible track by Ken Colyer, redolent with that awful clanking banjo that so badly afflicted stuff from that period.
          Yep. Not the best period for British jazz.

I don't mind the authentic US early jazz from the historical interest point of view, but '50s Trad. British style is a big turn off for me.

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

Clifford Brown remembers April. Extremely light and lyrical approach, makes the imagination dance. Something hard to find in the ensuing decades.

Meanwhile Sonny was showing the beginnings of a much more discordant phase.

No quarrels with Frankie Lane. A regular Jazz Crooner.
            Last edited by Quarky; 15-04-17, 19:59.

Comment

Working...
            X