X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rcartes
    • Feb 2011

Sim Copans, Willis Conover, Franck Ténot and Daniel Filipacchi

I wonder if anyone here remembers these people who presented jazz programmes in the mid/late 1950s?

These four (Conover and Copans were American though Copans presented in French, Ténot and Filipacchi were French) were enormously influential on the development of my interest in jazz; I was introduced to it in school in the latter part of the 1950s by a fellow pupil, and we were eager to learn more. The BBC was pretty hopeless in that respect then, as I recall the only jazz-like material broadcast was sub-Dixieland stuff by the likes of Sid Phillips, and the programmes that the people I've listed above put out were revelatory. We listened to them on the rather poor quality long wave (younger readers may need an explanation for this term....) and it was through them that I discovered Charlie Parker and everyone else from that time. Sim Copans was my favourite, with a lovely, melodious voice that I remember even after all this time.
  • Tenor Freak
    • Dec 2010

I certainly remember Willis Conover presenting jazz on VOA. By the 80s when I was listening he was presenting programmes in VOA "Special English", spoken v e r y s l o w l y and with deliberately limited vocabulary. He had a wonderful deep voice.
    all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
      I certainly remember Willis Conover presenting jazz on VOA. By the 80s when I was listening he was presenting programmes in VOA "Special English", spoken v e r y s l o w l y and with deliberately limited vocabulary. He had a wonderful deep voice.
      - "This is the Voice of America Jazz Hour, broadcasting from..." Luxembourg, wasn't it?

At the fascist school where I was boarded, the lad in the bed next to mine was a great Trad afficionado, whereas I was into "modern jazz". Strictly against the rules, he had a transistor radio, which he would listen to with this programme on, nightly from memory, under the bedclothes. Whenever a "modern" number came up, he would stick his head out, whispering "Psst - Charlie Parker: your bag not mine". I would listen under my bedclothes, a very subversive act, until something "Trad" came on, then hand it back to him. I can remember a whole set of unaccompanied Cecil Taylor being my introduction to the pianist, who (very helpfully) played all Monk tunes: must have been a recording made specially for the network as I'm not aware of any such album release by CT.

Comment

• Rcartes
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        - "This is the Voice of America Jazz Hour, broadcasting from..." Luxembourg, wasn't it?

At the fascist school where I was boarded, the lad in the bed next to mine was a great Trad afficionado, whereas I was into "modern jazz". Strictly against the rules, he had a transistor radio, which he would listen to with this programme on, nightly from memory, under the bedclothes. Whenever a "modern" number came up, he would stick his head out, whispering "Psst - Charlie Parker: your bag not mine". I would listen under my bedclothes, a very subversive act, until something "Trad" came on, then hand it back to him. I can remember a whole set of unaccompanied Cecil Taylor being my introduction to the pianist, who (very helpfully) played all Monk tunes: must have been a recording made specially for the network as I'm not aware of any such album release by CT.
        Yes, I discovered jazz at my (only semi) fascist boarding school, for which I'll be eternally grateful - also for the way it gave me a healthy and lasting contempt for religion, the military and playing rugby....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Rcartes View Post
          Yes, I discovered jazz at my (only semi) fascist boarding school, for which I'll be eternally grateful - also for the way it gave me a healthy and lasting contempt for religion, the military and playing rugby....
          We are soulmates!

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
            • Nov 2010

Sim Copans has been remembered every summer in Souillac, SW France in the festival named after him that has run since 1976. I've heard some great concerts there over the years, including Von Freeman, Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy, Charles Lloyd...and this year looks pretty good too with Emil Parisien and Joachim Kühn... http://www.souillacenjazz.fr/FR/1_accueil.html

Comment

Working...
            X