• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Spoiler - This April Fool is not a Repeat

Sat 1 April
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton introduces more requests from listeners in all styles of music, including Duke Ellington's 1930 recording of Stompy Jones.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Julian Joseph introduces BBC Radio 3 New Generation Jazz Artist Laura Jurd and Norwegian tuba player Daniel Herskedal in a collaboration with the BBC Concert Orchestra, recorded in November at the London Jazz Festival.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    New York-born pianist and singer Fats Waller (1904-43) - the man behind Ain't Misbehavin' and Honesuckle Rose - was renowned for both hilarity and rhythm, from New York to Hollywood. Geoffrey Smith picks favourite tracks by this "cheerful little earful"

But this programme is

Geoffrey Smith presents favourite tracks by pianist, singer and composer Fats Waller.

Mon 3 April
    11.00 Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch presents Julian Siegel's new big band in concert specially recorded for Jazz Now.

Siegel is the fine tenor player in that excellent band Partisans, so this ought to be worthwhile, folks.

Soweto Kinch presents Julian Siegel's new big band in concert in Nottingham.

Weds 5 April
    11.00 Late Junction

Max Reinhardt presents new pieces of jazz and Polish folk, along with music from experimental composer [saxophonist, guitarist and improviser too] Arto Lindsay and improvisational sounds by Panos Ghikas and Jennifer Walshe.

The Polish folk will repair the plumbing on your Norwegian tuba.
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 04-04-17, 22:24. Reason: link transcription error
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Spoiler - This April Fool is not a Repeat
    New financial year?

OG

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

I really enjoyed JRR this week as there were some favourite records chosen as well as stuff that I had never heard before. I have always loved the "Junk man" track but is was especially good to hear the Tiny Grimes track "Red Cross" which featured an early performance by Charlie Parker. This is yet anther tune based on the "I got rhythm" changes. I doidn't realise that this track also featured the pianist Clyde Hart who was an early discovery for me and one of the musicians I always associate with forward thinking music in the early 40's. It is a shame that he is so forgotten these days but he was right there with Christian, Dizzy and Bird when the music started to change although I believe he succumbed to TB shortly afterwards without making the mark in jazz that he was destined to. One of the "what ifs" of jazz, I think.

The other interesting track was James Blood Ulmer. I cannot ever remember hearing anything by him being played on the radio. I had a DVD by him but gave it away to a charity shop as I was so disappointed. He has an avant reputation but just seems like an average bluesman to me despite the heavy company. However, it was still good to hear him none-the-less.

The other interesting track was the Jimmy Smith one with Thad Jones. It was a bit more adventurous than the stuff he recorded with Oliver Nelson yet I think that the album Thad Jones made with another organ player, Rhoda Scott, is even better. She is amazingly over-looked by fans and the three or four times I have seen her she has been right on the money. She is a very nice lady too.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
        I really enjoyed JRR this week as there were some favourite records chosen as well as stuff that I had never heard before. I have always loved the "Junk man" track but is was especially good to hear the Tiny Grimes track "Red Cross" which featured an early performance by Charlie Parker. This is yet anther tune based on the "I got rhythm" changes. I doidn't realise that this track also featured the pianist Clyde Hart who was an early discovery for me and one of the musicians I always associate with forward thinking music in the early 40's. It is a shame that he is so forgotten these days but he was right there with Christian, Dizzy and Bird when the music started to change although I believe he succumbed to TB shortly afterwards without making the mark in jazz that he was destined to. One of the "what ifs" of jazz, I think.

The other interesting track was James Blood Ulmer. I cannot ever remember hearing anything by him being played on the radio. I had a DVD by him but gave it away to a charity shop as I was so disappointed. He has an avant reputation but just seems like an average bluesman to me despite the heavy company. However, it was still good to hear him none-the-less.

The other interesting track was the Jimmy Smith one with Thad Jones. It was a bit more adventurous than the stuff he recorded with Oliver Nelson yet I think that the album Thad Jones made with another organ player, Rhoda Scott, is even better. She is amazingly over-looked by fans and the three or four times I have seen her she has been right on the money. She is a very nice lady too.
        Oddly enough I thought the Jimmy Smith track was awful - the phrasing of his improvisation all over the place, and not in any good way - was he drunk, I wondered? - confirming the view we had as schoolboys that Mr Smith was clearly overhyped.

Comment

Working...
        X