• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elmo
    • Nov 2010

Some interesting previously unreleased sessions just issued or about to be

Some good stuff

Hank Mobley Live in Holland 1968 on the Dutch Archive label - I have a copy of this and it is very good, well recorded with 3 different groups including the Pim Jacobs trio (with Han Bennink) and a big band called the Hobby Orchestra.

Very rare sessions by the Idrees Sulieman Quartet which includes the underrated pianist Oscar Dennard recorded in 1959. haven't got my copy yet but the one track I have heard has a startling solo by Dennard. The album is called " 4 American Jazzmen in Tangier" and its on the Sunnyside label.

Resonance records are issuing the complete recordings that Thelonious Monk recorded for the film "Liaisions Dangereus in 1959, 90% of the score has never been issued. The band has Sam Jones and Art Taylor and two tenors, Rouse and Barney Wilen - the 2LP set will be issued in April and the CD set on May 19th. A definite purchase for me.

Oscar Pettiford Big Band/Sextet/Nonet New York City 1955 - 1958 on the Uptown label also released on May 19th don't have any details other than the various groups include the likes of Lucky Thompson, Johnny Coles, J.R.Monterose, Kenny Dorham, Benny Golson, Ray Copeland and a host of other greats.

elmo
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
    Some good stuff

Hank Mobley Live in Holland 1968 on the Dutch Archive label - I have a copy of this and it is very good, well recorded with 3 different groups including the Pim Jacobs trio (with Han Bennink) and a big band called the Hobby Orchestra.

Very rare sessions by the Idrees Sulieman Quartet which includes the underrated pianist Oscar Dennard recorded in 1959. haven't got my copy yet but the one track I have heard has a startling solo by Dennard. The album is called " 4 American Jazzmen in Tangier" and its on the Sunnyside label.

Resonance records are issuing the complete recordings that Thelonious Monk recorded for the film "Liaisions Dangereus in 1959, 90% of the score has never been issued. The band has Sam Jones and Art Taylor and two tenors, Rouse and Barney Wilen - the 2LP set will be issued in April and the CD set on May 19th. A definite purchase for me.

Oscar Pettiford Big Band/Sextet/Nonet New York City 1955 - 1958 on the Uptown label also released on May 19th don't have any details other than the various groups include the likes of Lucky Thompson, Johnny Coles, J.R.Monterose, Kenny Dorham, Benny Golson, Ray Copeland and a host of other greats.

elmo
    Geat! I'll take all of those. And to anyone interested in jazz and cinema, the great Polish jazz box set of Knife in the Water, Night Train etc etc is back in print in April. There's also a very good recent one of Italian jazz film soundtracks from the early 60s.

BN.

*interesting from Liaisions Dangereus, the trumpet player in the party scene is Kenny Dorham, miming to Lee Morgan. All in a day's work?

Comment

Working...
    X