Time serving in the jazz jail: one, two, free...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Time serving in the jazz jail: one, two, free...

Sat 18 March
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests at Free Thinking

Live from Sage Gateshead, Alyn Shipton explores the idea of time in jazz. With requests from listeners as well as Free Thinking speakers, and live music from Paul Edis, who plays material from his album There Will Be Time.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Past performances recorded at the Edinburgh festivals, including trombonist Dennis Rollins and his trio, vocalist Cleveland Watkiss and pianists Julian Joseph and Richard Michael.

Repeat

Performances by Dennis Rollins and Cleveland Watkiss recorded at the Edinburgh Festivals.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    The best of Hammond organist Jimmy Smith, whose irresistible combination of jazz with rhythm and blues produced a string of hit records.

Hammond existentialists...

Geoffrey Smith selects some of the best recordings by Hammond organ master Jimmy Smith.

Mon 20 March
    11.00 Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch presents a concert by Anglo-French band Primitive London, recorded at the Hare and Hounds jazz club in Birmingham. Featuring Robin Fincker (saxophones), Antoine Bearjeaut (trumpet), Kit Downes (piano), and Jim Hart (drums), and special guest rapper Juice Aleem.

Sticking my well-earned reputation for strong recommendations on the line, I make big claims for the originality and creativity of this group, which I saw at the Vortex on Jan 24th, and which I believe answers criticisms some on here have levelled at new British and European jazz in recent times. There was no rapper with them at that particular gig, but who knows? - in trying to bring the two genres together others have failed or fallen short; from a brief acquantance with them, this may be the bunch that succeeds.

Soweto Kinch presents a concert given in Birmingham by Anglo-French band Primitive London.
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Enjoyed JRR - good of someone to request the Andy Sheppard / Kathryn Tickell as the crowds at the Sage looked down at the New Crossing ....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      Enjoyed JRR - good of someone to request the Andy Sheppard / Kathryn Tickell as the crowds at the Sage looked down at the New Crossing ....
      And there was me thinking that was the weakest track on the programme! But never mind: Andy was back to full form - and more- when we went and saw him playing freely. to his maximum capacity, and for all he's worth, at the Cafe Oto in Hackney late last year, in the company of bassist John Edwards and drummer Eddie Prevost - and for an entry charge of £10: far, far less I'm sure than one would have to pay at the Sage or the Purcell Room here for one of Andy's ECM collaborative associations!

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        And there was me thinking that was the weakest track on the programme! But never mind: Andy was back to full form - and more- when we went and saw him playing freely. to his maximum capacity, and for all he's worth, at the Cafe Oto in Hackney late last year, in the company of bassist John Edwards and drummer Eddie Prevost - and for an entry charge of £10: far, far less I'm sure than one would have to pay at the Sage or the Purcell Room here for one of Andy's ECM collaborative associations!

I suppose someone from the very Deep South, even with NE connections, is probably never going to get the Northumbrian pipes ......

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

I suppose someone from the very Deep South, even with NE connections, is probably never going to get the Northumbrian pipes ......
          I will have to listen to this on catch up as I was busy yesterday afternoon but it always seems to be that the mixture of folk with jazz probably undermines the veracity of jazz more than any other outside influence. I quite like some of the collaborations that ECM were involved in during the 1970's and 80's where "non - jazz" instruments were brought in to the music and to the added interest of the result. However, I think that this was a phase that jazz seemed to go through at the time and by the early 1990's it had run its course. The influence of African and Indian music has generally worked in a jazz context yet the influence of European folk traditions has been mixed. Taken in a more traditional jazz line up, the hybridisation has been successful although there are some instances where labels like ECM had pursued this to the point of making something entirely superficial and shallow. Using Northumbrian pipes is a real oddity. Not sure whether Duke or Miles would approve.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

"The pipes, the pipes are calling..." Er, Rufus Harvey. Some v. interesting stuff on Utube, a lot more to him than a novelty addition to Sonny Rollins. Fascinating guy. Although I regard bagpipes as a kind of inflatable banjo deserving the same hellish fate. A bonfire of bagpipes, accordions, recorders and banjos. Some beer. And some chestnuts.

BN.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
              "The pipes, the pipes are calling..." Er, Rufus Harvey. Some v. interesting stuff on Utube, a lot more to him than a novelty addition to Sonny Rollins. Fascinating guy. Although I regard bagpipes as a kind of inflatable banjo deserving the same hellish fate. A bonfire of bagpipes, accordions, recorders and banjos. Some beer. And some chestnuts.

BN.
              A little unfair, I think BN.

All the instruments you mention have their place, in context, except perhaps Highland pipes (but when Scotland becomes and independent nation that context may emerge!). Whether they have a role in jazz, is another matter, but I think they can, again in an appropriate context.

OG

Comment

• Quarky
                • Dec 2010

A big fan of Kathryn Tickell, but I don't think this worked. Andy Sheppard did his own thing, and reduced Kathryn to a background role. Obviously, Kathryn is not into Jazz rhythms, but what she can do with the Northumbrian pipes...........:

Kathryn Tickell and band (Peter Tickell - fiddle, Joss Clapp - guitars, Julian Sutton - melodeon). Song taken from a live set, recorded at The Zodiac, Oxford...
                Last edited by Quarky; 19-03-17, 22:55.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

This is a short video for ESP 4058: Paul Dunmall & Chris Corsano - Identical SunsetsThe song is the title track for the aforementioned record, which is avail...

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

Border pipes ..... ????

Comment

• CGR
                      • Aug 2016

I always continue to enjoy the fusion of folk, jazz and blues created by Pentangle all those years ago.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

[QUOTE=CGR;612213]I always continue to enjoy the fusion of folk, jazz and blues created by Pentangle all those years ago.

I agree, albeit with a few caveats - and by implication disagree with Ian. Jazz is after all an eclection of all manner of inputs; it is jazz by virtue of absorbing those in its own ways and on its own terms, more than infrequently modifying and complexifying these and returning them to these other genres transformed and advanced; and while it's true that the consequences can sometimes end up sounding twee, this is not automatically true.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                          • Dec 2010

[QUOTE=Serial_Apologist;612217]
                          Originally posted by CGR View Post
                          I always continue to enjoy the fusion of folk, jazz and blues created by Pentangle all those years ago.

I agree, albeit with a few caveats - and by implication disagree with Ian. Jazz is after all an eclection of all manner of inputs; it is jazz by virtue of absorbing those in its own ways and on its own terms, more than infrequently modifying and complexifying these and returning them to these other genres transformed and advanced; and while it's true that the consequences can sometimes end up sounding twee, this is not automatically true.
                          Well, if jazz is "what it eats", it can consequently suffer from severe indigestion, acute food poisoning and long periods on the toilet. Metaphorically. Where it is now I hesitate to guess. Probably scoffing an over rich helping of "reaching out ". Always read the label.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

[QUOTE=BLUESNIK'S REVOX;612258]
                            Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Well, if jazz is "what it eats", it can consequently suffer from severe indigestion, acute food poisoning and long periods on the toilet. Metaphorically. Where it is now I hesitate to guess. Probably scoffing an over rich helping of "reaching out ". Always read the label.

BN.
                            Jazz has been accused throughout its history of stepping beyond its own boundaries, with much controversy as to where it has gone and what those limits are, in the same way it has sometimes been accused of being too narrow to be defined as such: John Mayer's Indo-Jazz in the 1960s, Third Stream, and even Parker With Strings have been cited in the former connection, while John Stevens's Spontaneous Music Ensemble recording 'Karyobin' might be considered an example of the latter. Personal differences over these things, sometimes generational, are probably more responsible for the main areas of division between sectors of its audience that preferences for this player over that one,

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                              • Dec 2010

[QUOTE=Serial_Apologist;612261]
                              Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post

Jazz has been accused throughout its history of stepping beyond its own boundaries, with much controversy as to where it has gone and what those limits are, in the same way it has sometimes been accused of being too narrow to be defined as such: John Mayer's Indo-Jazz in the 1960s, Third Stream, and even Parker With Strings have been cited in the former connection, while John Stevens's Spontaneous Music Ensemble recording 'Karyobin' might be considered an example of the latter. Personal differences over these things, sometimes generational, are probably more responsible for the main areas of division between sectors of its audience that preferences for this player over that one,
                              As an "old" Marxist in every sense, there is the concept of quantitive and qualitive change, the former producing the latter at a tipping point. Water to steam. The point I'm making is that jazz is increasingly not the determinant, it is acted upon and its essential quality is thus changed. I came into jazz for that very essential quality. I will leave by the same door.

BN.

Comment

Working...
                              X