• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Not jazz? Count me in, Stilgoe

Sat 11 March
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton with listeners' requests, including a classic track from Count Basie's 1956 LP Basie in London.

Radio 4
    3.30 Things Called Jazz That Are Not Jazz

Russell Finch examines why there are so many things named after jazz, including a variety of apple, an aftershave, a car, spreadsheet software and a range of non-alcoholic beers. Along the way he finds out the surprising origins of the word and the reason some musicians find it offensive. With contributions from comedian Steward Lee, singer Gwyneth Herbert and musician Nicolas Payton.

Repeat of a programme they probably didn't dare put on Radio 3.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Claire Martin presents a BBC introducing set by jazz trio Johnstone/Jarvie/Lowrie, recorded in June at the Glasgow Jazz Festival. Also featured is an interview with singer-songwriter Joe Stilgoe.

Yet another repeat - has R3 stopped recording JLU then???

Claire Martin presents a BBC Introducing set by Scottish jazz trio Johnstone/Jarvie/Lowrie

10.00 Hear and Now
    Just to draw attention to Trish Clowes's Emulsion V project broadcast, already on the board as a separate thread, courtesy Comrade ferneyhoughgeliebte, for which, many thanks.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Geoffrey Smith revisits Oliver Nelson's classic 1961 album The Blues and the Abstract Truth, on which - among others - Freddie Hubbard, Eric Dolphy and Bill Evans all played.

Geoffrey Smith explores Oliver Nelson's classic album The Blues and the Abstract Truth.

13 March
    11.00 Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch presents a concert given by trumpeter* Avishai Cohen's quartet, recorded last September in Hamburg and featuring Yonathan Avishai (piano), Barak Mori (bass), and Nasheet Waits (drums).

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

*The other Avishai Cohen, presumably - the one we know as a brilliant bassist - is broadcast on Radio 3 this coming Sunday (12th) at 11.15 pm, heard with his trio in concert with the BBC Concert Orchestra from the London Barbican last month.

Apollo Jeer: My apologies in omitting Geoffrey Smith's programme from last week's forthcomings, in a senior moment...
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Johnny may hate Jazz. But Stewart Lee is a big fan/advocate of Evan Parker and associates? He's also very funny about Paul Nuttall of Ukp notoriety. Who lost many of his "really close friends" in a pie shop.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      Johnny may hate Jazz. But Stewart Lee is a big fan/advocate of Evan Parker and associates? He's also very funny about Paul Nuttall of Ukp notoriety. Who lost many of his "really close friends" in a pie shop.

BN.
      Stewart did an "illustrated" radio interview with Billy Jenkins a few years ago, but bully for him - I didn't realise he was an all-round advocate. I guess were the beeb to be a bit more turned on they'd offer him a themed series at least, if not a telly show featuring jazz musicians of his choice, as Spike Milligan did for Stan Tracey back in the 1970s.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Yes, he's a very strong advocate for Evan and I think plays some of his music as a warm up. Which lets the audience know they're not getting Jim Davidson or "Tarby"!

BN.

Comment

• Manupstairs
          • Jan 2017

Lee would be a better host of a show than Ken Clarke (whose recentish series proved that while he is one of the better Tories that is not saying much and he is still quite obnoxious).

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
            • Nov 2010

I think that is a bit unfair to Ken, whose last series I co-produced (and I worked with him as an associate producer on all the previous ones). His jazz knowledge is excellent and he worked with his guests on music selection for all the shows. Stewart has done various jazz shows (mainly for R4, but also on the recent jazz pop up station) - and curated an excellent pair of concerts at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival a few years ago before the Cullum invasion - with a good cross section of UK avant gardists. But - and he'd be the first to say this - his interests are firmly at that end of the spectrum. Ken's breadth of knowledge is extremely wide from swing to post-bop, and he has not only photographic recall of album covers, but a really first rate memory of the music itself. BTW if you can't wait for Geoffrey's show on Oliver Nelson, there's always this podcast to keep you going: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b013lqqf

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
              • Nov 2010

BTW BN Stewart's warm up for his current show "Content Provider" was Moroccan hip hop...not quite as, er, accessible as Evan....

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
                BTW BN Stewart's warm up for his current show "Content Provider" was Moroccan hip hop...not quite as, er, accessible as Evan....
                He'll do anything to get a laugh? Gone way down in my estimation already. Next he'll be nicking jokes from very old Ted Ray tapes. (I met Ted Ray once, he was "comedy"(!) on a Larry Parnes stabled Marty Wilde/Billy Fury "end of the pier teen show" in Yarmouth. Misery, morose and malignance do not cover).

BN.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                  • Dec 2010

Remember reading "Notes and Tones" where Art Taylor interviewed a number of fellow musicians. Most of them hated the word "jazz" and I understand why.

That Jazz Now on Monday looks interesting as Cohen the Trumpet is excellent (he plays a blinder on Mark Turner's CD Lathe of Heaven).

Example here:

Last edited by Tenor Freak; 11-03-17, 12:21. Reason: cromulent
                  all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
                    Remember reading "Notes and Tones" where Art Taylor interviewed a number of fellow musicians. Most of them hated the word "jazz" and I understand why.

That Jazz Now on Monday looks interesting as Cohen the Trumpet is excellent (he plays a blinder on Mark Turner's CD Lathe of Heaven).

Example here:

That's very OK. He (Cohen) reminds me a lot of Jon Eardley, at least at the start of his solo. For those who still have the Mulligan Qrt EPs next to the Dansette. And...a tune to define laconic hipness? THAT one. Bonjour Benny ...and Betty. But not Theresa.

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                      • Dec 2010

I am really surprised that the Israeli bassist Avisahi Cohen has not generated more opprobrium on this board and also seems ignored. He is massive in France where he enjoys a profile far, far greater than in the UK. I would have to say that his trio is pretty useful and I attended one of his gigs expecting to come out feeling really hostile to what I perceived his approach to be but found myself completely won over. The music is, if you like, a kind of piano trio response to the Pat Metheny group and the material is hugely listenable. It still remains jazz and the pianist, Gilad Hekselman, was unfortunate to have second billing to the leader as he as much a star as the bassist. I think they were called back to play three encores and the audience were extremely reluctant to let them leave the stage. It was one of that year's musical highlights and no small wonder the trio was invited back the next year albeit the novelty of their music had worn off a bit for me as you cannot beat hearing a group for the first time and encountering something fresh.

Musically it was a bit safe yet the whole thing was delivered with such panache that even the harshest of critics would have been converted. My only reservation is that I am a firm believer that the UK should not be encouraging Israeli artists to perform in this country and this is supporting terrorism. The two gigs I saw were both non-political yet I had a slight misgiving that nothing will be done about Israel if their artists are allowed to have succour in European venues. I wonder if, under Trump, we will end up in a similar position regarding American artists?

Comment

• CGR
                        • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                        I am really surprised that the Israeli bassist Avisahi Cohen has not generated more opprobrium on this board and also seems ignored. He is massive in France where he enjoys a profile far, far greater than in the UK. I would have to say that his trio is pretty useful and I attended one of his gigs expecting to come out feeling really hostile to what I perceived his approach to be but found myself completely won over. The music is, if you like, a kind of piano trio response to the Pat Metheny group and the material is hugely listenable. It still remains jazz and the pianist, Gilad Hekselman, was unfortunate to have second billing to the leader as he as much a star as the bassist. I think they were called back to play three encores and the audience were extremely reluctant to let them leave the stage. It was one of that year's musical highlights and no small wonder the trio was invited back the next year albeit the novelty of their music had worn off a bit for me as you cannot beat hearing a group for the first time and encountering something fresh.

Musically it was a bit safe yet the whole thing was delivered with such panache that even the harshest of critics would have been converted. My only reservation is that I am a firm believer that the UK should not be encouraging Israeli artists to perform in this country and this is supporting terrorism. The two gigs I saw were both non-political yet I had a slight misgiving that nothing will be done about Israel if their artists are allowed to have succour in European venues. I wonder if, under Trump, we will end up in a similar position regarding American artists?
                        Let's leave the nasty antisemitism at the concert hall / jazz club door and just enjoy the music.

Comment

• Rcartes
                          • Feb 2011

This is NOT anti-semitism

Originally posted by CGR View Post
                          Let's leave the nasty antisemitism at the concert hall / jazz club door and just enjoy the music.
                          Let's be clear: it's perfectly possible to criticise Israeli policy, especially towards the Palestinians whose territory it has under occupation, without being antisemitic. This tactic is often used by the Israeli government and its apologists to try to deflect criticism. Not sure whether you've simply made a mistake, or are an Israeli apologist, but either way you are wrong.

Comment

• Quarky
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Rcartes View Post
                            Let's be clear: it's perfectly possible to criticise Israeli policy, especially towards the Palestinians whose territory it has under occupation, without being antisemitic. This tactic is often used by the Israeli government and its apologists to try to deflect criticism. Not sure whether you've simply made a mistake, or are an Israeli apologist, but either way you are wrong.
                            According to House Rules, political discussion should be reserved for Ideas and Theory Board.

However I was prompted to listen again to the bassist Cohen Trio ( I thought the quartet on Jazz Now was brilliant). The music seems so innocuous that it is difficult to make any criticism. It does seem to have a Hebrew flavour, but so does Klezma.

Currently listening: "Arab Medley" - best number so far.....................
                            Last edited by Quarky; 26-03-17, 10:07.

Comment

• Rcartes
                              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                              According to House Rules, political discussion should be reserved for Ideas and Theory Board.
                              Fair enough, but it was CGR wot done it first, so your comment might have been better aimed in their direction....

Comment

Working...
                              X