Spring is Here: John Coltrane played it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Spring is Here: John Coltrane played it!

4 March
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton responds to listeners' requests with a cross-section of jazz, including a track by Stan Kenton.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Julian Joseph presents a performance by pianist Kit Downes and drummer James Maddren recorded last June on the Jazz Line-Up stage at the Glasgow Jazz Festival. The duo's set climaxes with a world exclusive collaboration featuring Scottish fiddler Aidan O'Rourke, recorded in the inspired setting of the city's Saint Luke's venue.

Ho ho ho it's another repeat - did we have this many in previous years? here's the link:

Sun 5 March - Radio 2
    9.00 Clare Teal

Big band and swing tonight with band leader and saxophonist Julian Siegel discussing his latest venture.

Julian's association with the fine band Partisans drew my attention to this item.

Mon 6 March
    11.00 Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch presents a concert from Hamburg by the Christian Muthspiel Four.

Soweto Kinch presents a concert given in Hamburg by the Christian Muthspiel Four.

And just to draw attention to two episodes of Late Junction at 11 pm next week on 3: Tuesday's programme celebrates Alice Coltrane; and on Wednesday presenter Fiona Talkington has Annette Peacock and Kerry Andrew* as her guests. A rare treat!

*https://soundcloud.com/kerryandrewcomposer
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

....looking forward to the soweto kinch prog....fingers crossed....
    bong ching

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      4 March
      4.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton responds to listeners' requests with a cross-section of jazz, including a track by Stan Kenton.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
      Julian Joseph presents a performance by pianist Kit Downes and drummer James Maddren recorded last June on the Jazz Line-Up stage at the Glasgow Jazz Festival. The duo's set climaxes with a world exclusive collaboration featuring Scottish fiddler Aidan O'Rourke, recorded in the inspired setting of the city's Saint Luke's venue.

Ho ho ho it's another repeat - did we have this many in previous years? here's the link:

Sun 5 March - Radio 2
      9.00 Clare Teal

Big band and swing tonight with band leader and saxophonist Julian Siegel discussing his latest venture.

Julian's association with the fine band Partisans drew my attention to this item.

Mon 6 March
      11.00 Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch presents a concert from Hamburg by the Christian Muthspiel Four.

Soweto Kinch presents a concert given in Hamburg by the Christian Muthspiel Four.

And just to draw attention to two episodes of Late Junction at 11 pm next week on 3: Tuesday's programme celebrates Alice Coltrane; and on Wednesday presenter Fiona Talkington has Annette Peacock and Kerry Andrew* as her guests. A rare treat!

*https://soundcloud.com/kerryandrewcomposer
      Just noticed, Hear and Now on Radio 3 tonight(4 Mar) celebrates Basil Kirchin.
      Also, tomorrow(5 Mar, 6.45pm) Sunday Feature is a portrait of Alice Coltrane presented by Kevin Le Gendre.

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
        Just noticed, Hear and Now on Radio 3 tonight(4 Mar) celebrates Basil Kirchin.
        Also, tomorrow(5 Mar, 6.45pm) Sunday Feature is a portrait of Alice Coltrane presented by Kevin Le Gendre.

JR
        Ah - I only spotted the repeat of the Basil Kirchin on Tuesday. His music completely passed me by in the 1960s and '70s - I knew a black trumpet player called Lester Thompson, who'd come over with Harry Beckett, and he told me he'd worked in Kirchin's big band. I'd assumed it to be just some dance band, of which there were many in the 1950s operating in the Ted Heath manner at the time, many of our jazz musicians making their way up through them.

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

Tony Bennett/ Bill Evans, JLU.

I have never been a fan of Tony. but I am beginning to see some light in his music. I was surprised to find he has strong links with Jazz. Further, at the age of 90 (!!!) he has a full tour schedule, and if my info is correct, he will be playing RAH in June this year.

A Jazzy backing group: pianist Billy Stritch tinkling on a Steinway, guitarist Gray Sargent noodling out nifty little riffs, bassist Marshall Wood bouncing out a rhythm, drummer Harold Jones sweeping and skittering beneath it all — it wasn’t a band you could hide behind, not even for a second.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
            • Nov 2010

Lovely chap, Tony Bennett, whom those of us in the London Ragtime Orchestra met when we were playing way further down the bill at a UK jazz festival in the 80s. Charming, affable, and good company. BUT - is it just me, or is he always about a quarter of a tone flat?

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
              Lovely chap, Tony Bennett, whom those of us in the London Ragtime Orchestra met when we were playing way further down the bill at a UK jazz festival in the 80s. Charming, affable, and good company. BUT - is it just me, or is he always about a quarter of a tone flat?
              He should have recorded with Jackie McLean to compensate! Very unfair comment about Jackie's 1959 intonation on JRR! ...its called "soul", I almost canceled my R3 subscription. Almost. Not such a big fan of Tony Bennett (over ripe) although his heart was certainly in the right place, but Ray Charles? Would a Ray Charles plus band fit JRR?

BN.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Yes - but this is his voice when he's talking, too.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                  Very unfair comment about Jackie's 1959 intonation on JRR! ...its called "soul"
                  Dudu Pukwana would often play sharp, too. It's very much a feature of male African a capella singing.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    Dudu Pukwana would often play sharp, too. It's very much a feature of male African a capella singing.
                    Interesting thing with Jackie was that he played alto that way all his life, but one his one? recorded excursion on tenor he sounds "normal" and very like Sonny Rollins. "A Long drink of the blues" - Prestige. In fact I have since wondered if it was Sonny sitting in incognito...

BN.

Comment

• Quarky
                      • Dec 2010

Well yes, when not completely flat. But comparing him to the current stock of male Jazz singers, British and International, I know who I would prefer to listen to:

Tony Bennett performing "Who Cares"Listen to Tony Bennett: https://TonyBennett.lnk.to/listenYDSubscribe to the official Tony Bennett YouTube channel: https:/...
                      Last edited by Quarky; 06-03-17, 01:24.

Comment

Working...
                      X