X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Horace Parlan RIP

"Horace Parlan died yesterday evening – February 23rd – peacefully in his sleep. A few blood clots ended his life at the nursing home where he spent his last couple of years.

Here in Denmark we will remember him as a very sweet and embracing person that always had something to say in music. Among his latest albums I especially treasure his solo album “Voyage of Discovery” (1999), “Relaxin’ with Horace” with Ed Thigpen and Jesper Lundgaard (2003) and “My Little Brown Book” with Christina von Bülow (as) and Jesper Lundgaard.

All the best
    Frank Büchmann-Møller"

There's a very good documentary on Horace in Denmark (where he happily married and thrived) on You Tube. I think the US work with Booker Ervin, his own Bluenote dates, Mingus obviously, the Shepp duos and the exceptionally relaxed and fabulous, "Doing Alright", Dexter's comeback calling card, are all superb. A good life in every sense, well lived.

RIP Horace Parlan.

*Should be added that he achieved all this despite childhood polio that that left him only limited use of his right hand. Remarkable how he worked his style around this. Fascinating to watch.

BN.
    Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 25-02-17, 07:29.
  • burning dog
    • Dec 2010

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
      Just been told there's a BBC radio doc about, and with, Horace from 2015. Still on the IPlayer.

BN.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
        • Nov 2010

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
          Thanks, Alyn.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
            Thanks Alyn also. (Coincidence that HP should be on JRR today with Mingus).

BN.

Comment

Working...
            X