• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

We're all going on a Billie Holiday

Sat 25 Feb
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton plays listener requests accross the full spectrum of jazz, including recordings showcasing the contrasting styles of iconic singers Billie Holiday and, in her centenary year, Ella Fitzgerald.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Julian Joseph presents a performance by American vibraphonist Joe Locke and his quartet, recorded last June on the Jazz Line-Up stage at the Glasgow Jazz Festival. Locke has collaborated with Dizzy Gillespie, bassist Ron Carter, the Beastie Boys and Rod Stewart. And in Inside the Mind multi-instrumentalist Jacob Collier discusses his love of technology, the Beach Boys and the moment Quincy Jones first made contact with him.

A performance given by American vibraphonist Joe Locke at the 2016 Glasgow Jazz Festival.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    With Mardi Gras about to hit New orleans, Geoffrey Smith sets the scene with treats new and old.

Geoffrey Smith presents music to set the scene for the New Orleans Mardi Gras.

Mon 27 Feb
    11.00 Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch presents a concert by the Fred Hersch Trio, recorded last June in Munich. And Al Ryan meets trumpeter Christian Scott.

Soweto Kinch presents the Fred Hersch Trio in concert in Munich.

Also worth noting:

Tues 28 Feb
    1.00 pm Radio 3 Lunchtime Concert

Two JS Bach works followed by the concluding item from Belfast, a new commission titled Blush by, one presumes, the fine British jazz pianist Gareth Williams, who, like the American pianist Fred Hersh, has also worked with Norma Winstone.

And that same day, at 7 pm on Radio 2, Jamie Cullum talks to Donny McCaslin.

Not sure if this qualifies for inclusion here or the Jazz Fusion board, but Late Junction that same evening mentions The Combiner, by saxophonist John Zorn and Brit-born guitarist/bass guitarist Fred Frith, the latter once in Zorn's polystylistic band Naked City, as part of a programme themed to the music of machines.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

The Coltrane version of "I Want To Talk About You" prompts me to get that album "In a Soulful Mood", if only for Trane's unaccompanied cadenza. Who was it who said JC's output in that year, 1963, represented a marking time in the progress towards "Ascension", and all the last recordings? Bit wide of the mark if that number is in any way representive - not just for the cadenza, and not just for that Newport set.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Locke, Stocke and Barrelhausen might have been a better title for this thread, I'm now thinking...

Listening just now to the new Jasper Hoiby recording, I have to say I was impressed with Ms Jurd's trumpet in combo with Mark Lockheart's somewhat Shorterish tenor sax, swapping ideas in ways I've heard her do in other non-Jurd-led contexts, eg alongside Evan Parker, which might bring out the best of her playing, rather than the expectation of narrative thinking, eg in her own rather convoluted compositions with her own band, where I sometimes feel she lets herself down, probably in the compositions as well as her improvising.
      Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 25-02-17, 18:54.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
        • Nov 2010

That JLU was, of course a repeat. We featured Jasper talking about Fellow Creatures on Jazz Now on 9 May last year with quite a lot more from the band. However, I think the band has now established itself nicely, and so Jazz Now is recording their Bristol Jazz Festival set in 3 weeks. It'll go out on the programme in April. I certainly think Laura always shines in other people's bands...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
          That JLU was, of course a repeat. We featured Jasper talking about Fellow Creatures on Jazz Now on 9 May last year with quite a lot more from the band. However, I think the band has now established itself nicely, and so Jazz Now is recording their Bristol Jazz Festival set in 3 weeks. It'll go out on the programme in April. I certainly think Laura always shines in other people's bands...
          It missed my attention that this was a repeat.

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            The Coltrane version of "I Want To Talk About You" prompts me to get that album "In a Soulful Mood", if only for Trane's unaccompanied cadenza. Who was it who said JC's output in that year, 1963, represented a marking time in the progress towards "Ascension", and all the last recordings? Bit wide of the mark if that number is in any way representive - not just for the cadenza, and not just for that Newport set.

'Trane and Mingus tracks more than compensated for all the Trad we've been hearing recently. I know , if you don't like the requests, request something yourself.....

Well worth a listen: Pharoah Sanders Late Junction Tuesday - 27 - 43 mins in.

Comment

Working...
            X