• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Smart Wheeler-dealer Getz my Stranger on the Shaw

Sat 18 Feb
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton introduces a selection of listeners' requests in all styles of jazz, including a track by Swedish pianist Esbjorn Svensson and his trio EST.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Julian Joseph presents a solo performance by singer Ian Shaw, recorded last April at the Gateshead Jazz Festival and including his interpretations of songs by Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell and David Bowie.

Another repeat!

A solo performance by singer and pianist Ian Shaw from the 2016 Gateshead Jazz Festival.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Highlights from the career of saxophonist Stan Getz (1927-1991), who blended West Coast "cool" with tender lyricism and a bossa nova beat.

And this is yet another repeat!!! What's going on at the Beeb?? Is this money-saving, or has everyone defected post-Brexit to safe houses in Norway???

Geoffrey picks highlights from saxophonist Stan Getz's extraordinary career.

Sun 19 Feb
    6.45 Sunday Feature: King Kong - the Township Jazz Musical

Soweto Kinch on the extraordinary collaboration that occurred in 1950s, apartheid-torn South Africa, inspired by the life and death of a celebrated heavyweight boxer.

I was fortunate to have seen this show on a school trip when it came to London, though I forget all the details and which year. Since when I've learned that the pit band contained several S African exiles peripherally associated with Dollar Brand's Jazz Epistles and Chris McGregor's Blue Notes, including composer/pianist Joonas Gwangwa, who composed the music for the film "Cry Freedom", drummer/percussionist Churchill Jolobe, singers Sonti Mndebele and Princess Patience (the latter subsequently murdered in circumstances I have been unable to find information for), and flautist Robert Sithole - all of whom were depicted in a 1989 TV documentary titled "South African Blues" leading heartbreakingly sad and homesickened lives in hidden away districts of London, busking on the tube etc. Apartheid had not yet ended and maybe looked as if it never would at that juncture, and assuming they are still around, one would wish to learn how they have fared.

Mon 20 Feb
    11.00 Jazz Now

Kenny Wheeler (1930-2014) is tonight's focus, with Soweto Kinch presenting a complete performance of his Sweet Sister Suite, played by Alexandra Ridout (flugelhorn), with the Euroradio Jazz Orchestra directed by Tommy Smith. And Emma Smith talks to Wheeler expert Nick Smart.

Dear Kenny left us with one final punning title - such an inspiration! Nick Smart, the affable fella who heads the jazz course at the Royal Academy, is himself no mean trumpet player. The RAM, by the way, is a 100 metres east of Madame Tussauds, and on the same side of the Marylebone Road; and for recommendation to would-be students I would like to mention that the lunchtime canteen serves a mean apple crumble with custard.

Soweto Kinch presents a complete performance of Kenny Wheeler's Sweet Sister Suite.
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 16-02-17, 16:33. Reason: Highlighting leading lights
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

"A Silent Way: Routes of South African Jazz, 1946-1978." Very good book. There's a long form review and take on it, and an account of his own research, by Julian Jonker* . Just search on "Julian Jonker jazz". REALLY well worth reading.

*Julian Jonker is a writer and cultural producer living in Cape Town.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      "A Silent Way: Routes of South African Jazz, 1946-1978." Very good book. There's a long form review and take on it, and an account of his own research, by Julian Jonker* . Just search on "Julian Jonker jazz". REALLY well worth reading.

*Julian Jonker is a writer and cultural producer living in Cape Town.

BN.
      Very interesting reading there, BN, very challenging ideas!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Very interesting reading there, BN, very challenging ideas!
        Good isn't it. I've been listening to a lot of 60/70s SA Jazz recently, not just the usual big names that I knew and was familiar with, but guys who who just made an album or two or some singles. Really impressed, particularly given the obscene conditions under which they lived and performed. And they were consciously attempting to create their own thing, not just imitate. I like that remark to (an arrogant?) Wayne Shorter..."I played like that once!"

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

Whatever happened to pianist Mervyn Africa?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
            I saw him a year and a half ago, playing to a small Sunday afternoon audience at a just about publicised freebie in a Nunhead pub otherwise known for alternative cabaret, with a band consisting of guitar, bass guitar and drums, all unknown names to me. We had a very friendly chat - me reminding him of his days in District Six - and he said the gig was the start of his comeback, following several years of inactivity - unexplained. That was the last. I remember him as part of a mid-1980s band called The Music Doctors, performing as pianist and film music composer Johnny Oslo alongside Elton Dean and Lol Coxhill on saxes, and Mark Hewins, guitar, percussion and "accessories". Mark's connections are with the Canterbury scene, playing alongside Mark 1 Soft Machine, Caravan and Camel associates, and he's interesting for devising a novel guitar technique involving rubbing the body and strings of the electrified instrument with contact mics with a wettened finger, producing all sorts of humpbacked whale-like sounds and reverberations. He also devised one of the first guitar synthesisers. There's a rather sad tale connected with Mark. No sooner than I moved to this district in 2004, he and his delightful French-born wife Yvonne moved out of the mansion block in a part of Streatham that was becoming increasingly prone to crime, and relocated to a cottage deep in the Devonshire countryside. Within a week they had been burgled, Mark apparently losing most of his valuable equipment, and so they sold up, and moved back to Margate, his birthplace.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

I saw him a year and a half ago, playing to a small Sunday afternoon audience at a just about publicised freebie in a Nunhead pub otherwise known for alternative cabaret, with a band consisting of guitar, bass guitar and drums, all unknown names to me. We had a very friendly chat - me reminding him of his days in District Six - and he said the gig was the start of his comeback, following several years of inactivity - unexplained. That was the last. I remember him as part of a mid-1980s band called The Music Doctors, performing as pianist and film music composer Johnny Oslo alongside Elton Dean and Lol Coxhill on saxes, and Mark Hewins, guitar, percussion and "accessories". Mark's connections are with the Canterbury scene, playing alongside Mark 1 Soft Machine, Caravan and Camel associates, and he's interesting for devising a novel guitar technique involving rubbing the body and strings of the electrified instrument with contact mics with a wettened finger, producing all sorts of humpbacked whale-like sounds and reverberations. He also devised one of the first guitar synthesisers. There's a rather sad tale connected with Mark. No sooner than I moved to this district in 2004, he and his delightful French-born wife Yvonne moved out of the mansion block in a part of Streatham that was becoming increasingly prone to crime, and relocated to a cottage deep in the Devonshire countryside. Within a week they had been burgled, Mark apparently losing most of his valuable equipment, and so they sold up, and moved back to Margate, his birthplace.
              He (MA) played Capetown in March 2016 and also October last year...

"At 66 he returns to old turf in the “native yards” of Gugulethu, where his compatriots, Ezra Ngcukana and Winston Mankunku Ngozi hail from.

This time round he will perform with bass player Spencer Mbadu and visiting British saxophonist Alvin Davis."

BN

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                Dedicated to Dudu Pukwana:

Global Fusion Music and Arts organised a diversity night (tribute to Woolwich residents and London) on Thursday June 20th, 2013 and one of its fervent perf...

JR

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
                  • Nov 2010

Another useful book, which I commissioned when I was an editor at Continuum was this one: http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/soweto-...9780826416629/

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

[B]Sat 18 Feb

Sun 19 Feb
                    6.45 Sunday Feature: King Kong - the Township Jazz Musical

Soweto Kinch on the extraordinary collaboration that occurred in 1950s, apartheid-torn South Africa, inspired by the life and death of a celebrated heavyweight boxer.
                    Having just listened to this via the link -

Soweto Kinch discovers the remarkable story behind the apartheid-era musical, King Kong.

- it comes with my strongest possible recommendation as one of the most uplifting things I've heard in a long time.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
                      Another useful book, which I commissioned when I was an editor at Continuum was this one: http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/soweto-...9780826416629/

Having become acquainted with SA jazz by way of Louis Moholo, and having had the good fortune briefly to meet Johnny Dyani and Pinise Saul not long before Johnny's passing, I have to admit there's still an awful lot I don't know about the scene there and its history.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

Having just listened to this via the link -

Soweto Kinch discovers the remarkable story behind the apartheid-era musical, King Kong.

- it comes with my strongest possible recommendation as one of the most uplifting things I've heard in a long time.
                        Missed it. Will catch up at the Wk/end from the Player. Many thanks.

BN.

Comment

Working...
                        X