• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

How Jazz changed Britain - R4 today

Radio 4: 11:30 Tue 14 Feb 2017

Jazzed Up: How Jazz changed Britain
    A century after the first jazz recordings, how has jazz been received in the UK?
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08dnrq2
    Thanks Pianorak.

Had you not drawn attention to this I would have missed it. I've only just now seen it here. Anything on R4 not highlighted in RT for special attention escapes my attention, I'm afraid.

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Thanks Pianorak.

Had you not drawn attention to this I would have missed it. I've only just now seen it here. Anything on R4 not highlighted in RT for special attention escapes my attention, I'm afraid.
      There's a repeat on Radio 4 on Saturday 18th Feb at 3.30pm(just before JRR).

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
        There's a repeat on Radio 4 on Saturday 18th Feb at 3.30pm(just before JRR).

JR
        Indeed so - and this excellent programme is a 3-parter, part 2 a week today should be available by clicking on the link below after the broadcast:

A look at the influence of the visits of Duke Ellington before and after World War II.

They've certainly done their homework for this - even managing to find a clip from a woman vividly recalling the experience of being at one of the ODJB's performances at the Hammersmith Palais in 1919.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

I caught the end of the programme about Ken Johnson and will be listening the programme later on line. The Ken Johnson band has always been something of a disappointment for me because they were reputedly brilliant but their records are not too numerous and include a lot of pop material from the day with vocals by Al Bowlly who I find to be awful and enough to make you even think fondly of Adele! He seems to be amazingly incongruous singing in a big band that had aspirations to match the great Harlem bands of the day. I seem to recall hearing a version of "Tuxedo Junction" which was very good but I always wish they had recorded a greater body of work and one which better reflected their quest to be the greatest jazz orchestra in the country. There are some settings of Shakespeare that I can recall hearing too and, as much as I like the Bard, I would have much preferred this band to be belting out a blues!

The one question that I always want to know was what happened to all the scores this band played. Were they all lost in the air raid and I wonder if anyone has ever considered trying to perform their jazz repertoire and maybe resurrect Johnson's repertoire. I believe that there is a proportion of arrangements held in places like the Library of Congress in the States where access can be gained to jazz orchestrations of historic importance and it would be nice to know that something similar might exist in the UK to allow Johnson's band to be restored to it's true and proper reputation.

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08dnrq2
            Many thanks for link Pianorak

good start -enjoyed personal reminiscences - but reserve judgement until I have heard rest of the series.

Comment

• Pianorak
              • Nov 2010

I just chanced across it switching on R4 halfway through the programme. Unlike R3, marking up R4 programmes isn't exactly top of the list.
              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
              X