X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rumbaba
    • Sep 2024

Wynton Marsalis at Ronnie's 15 - 19 August

I don't know if this has been flagged up already or not.
    Last edited by Guest; 29-05-11, 18:01.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

I expect it'll be packed...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

typo fixed Rumbaba with your permission ...it's what hosts are for innit ...

Marsalis is usually a great live performer ...
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Rumbaba

Thanks Calum.

I saw Wynton many years ago (more than 20) at Fairfield Halls Croydon. He was young and a brilliant technical player. I think the Gerry Mulligan Band were on the same bill. I was a lot younger too Not sure if I'll make this but I'd love to see him live again.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Probably a good idea first to check out a few Google clips to see the kind of stuff he does nowadays, Rumbaba.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

I've seen Marsalis about 5 or 6 times , each with the Lincoln Centre Big Band. I've seen them at poole and Basingstoke but more frequently at Vienne where they seem to crop up every other year. Oddly, their last gig was really poorly attended and whilst there have been instances where the music has been inspirational, Wynton now seems so far behind the curve of where jazz is that this band comes across as a repertoirary group. I think the concert was less than half full - previously they'd played to great acclaim and even hosted a workshop for the local school kids which generated a lot of media attention.The best material I've heard them play was the suite written by Ted Nash inspired by painters but even the vintage material they performed was dahsed off with little interest it seemed.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Didn't want to spoil Rumbaba's burning anticipations...

Comment

• Rumbaba

How bad can he be? Technically, I assume he is still brilliant. What is he doing now, blowing in the wrong end?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

If you had to flog your antique furniture (hypothetically speaking), would you go for replacing with reproductions, however accurate? Tha't my feeling about W Marsalis. (Thanking Boulez for the analogy).

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

Rumbaba

Not bad but just a bit boring. The LCJO play a mixture of older material and originals which sound like sub-Ellington. don't think there is a probelm with Marsali himself, it is just that the music has moved on and, in my opinion, seems to have been left behind. Check out players like Dave Douglas, Roy Hargrove, Peter Evans or even Amdrose Akinmisure and there is a sense that these players have chops to match Marsalis but are able to out it is a more relevent context. Perhaps I'm a bit jaded after seeing WM so often but I think he is far short of being the standard bearer on his instrument these days. I caught the LYCO and Mingus big band within days with each other and both played a particular CM standard and the difference between the two bands was telling. The LYCO just seems like a repertoirary band these days , going throught the motions.

Comment

• Rumbaba

He was always 'respectful' of jazz's heritage and did seem to be a tad obsessive about it, even in the early days. Technique ain't everything. His dad (Ellis) used to have a weekly residency, with his trio, at Snug Harbour, my favourite New Orleans jazz club. Ellis was (is?) some sort of music professor, so maybe he's to blame for Wynton's academic approach to jazz. The whole family plays (everyone a different instrument). Branford, of course, (tenor), Delfeayo (trombone), Jason (drums). I don't know if Mrs plays anything.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                        • Dec 2010

I much prefer Branford and he has produced some avsolut belting CD's over the last few years - very much illustrating the benefit of maintaining a regaulr, working group. Very impressive live too.

Comment

• Rumbaba

Yes, I like Brandford, a top quality player. I forgive him for touring with Sting

I have gone right off the idea of seeing Wynton now

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Rumbaba View Post
                            Yes, I like Brandford, a top quality player. I forgive him for touring with Sting

I have gone right off the idea of seeing Wynton now
                            Oh DO go, Rumbaba! We're just an opinionated lot on these boards, not much better than that zetaboard lot. Here I am someone different. In real life I cannot even persuade a ladybird to go when I open the window.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

yes do go Rumbaba, all the best Marsalis in my collection is live small ensembles in clubs where he let his hair down metaphorically speaking ... as in playing Green Chimneys and here playing Just Friends and then tell us poor provincials all about it!
                              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                              X