• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Eagerly Awaited Jon3 Ambrose Akinmusire 30.v.11

The Blue Note label has had a fine tradition of signing great trumpet players over its 60-plus-year history – Lee Morgan and Terence Blanchard to name but two across the decades. Well, Ambrose Akinmusire has certainly got the chops to share in that company. His searing top notes are something to behold, but it’s more than just razzle-dazzle. He uses dramatic leaps and sudden changes of tone to channel the deeply expressive musical voice he’s been developing ever since Steve Coleman told him he needed to find a concept – just listen to the second tune from the first set, a spellbinding duet with pianist Sam Harris. The rest of the band isn’t half bad either, with Walter Smith III amazingly tuned into Akinmusire’s musical train of thought when they exchange melodies, backed assertively by Harish Raghavan’s bass and Justin Brown on drums.

In the break between his two sets, jazz briefly disappears over the horizon as Akinmusire talks about wider musical influences with Kevin Le Gendre. And pop’s influence on jazz is also apparent in the gig we have from another heralded young American, saxophonist Marcus Strickland. He and his trio delve into material by hip-hop outfit Outkast and Björk, bringing the same exuberant invention as Akinmusire’s band but showing a very different, groove-based direction.

from Jon3 newsletter
    new album getting rave reviews and Ian tells all on his latest thread ....
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

A definite must!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Er, that said, I shall be at the Vortex for the Harry Beckett memorial gig on Monday, so will have to hear this on iplayer, when I can get the sound on my damn computerr fixed!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

The more that I listen to the album "III", the more impressed I have become. I haven't snapped up too many new CD's this year, but this is easily the best one I have bought and it definately more than matches Joe Lovano's excellent "Bird music."

This CD has been in the car for two weeks now and I have to say that this has some of the best playing I have heard Eric Harland put down on record. I will definately be watching the likes of Akinmusire and Smith in the future and suggest that the whole Criss Cross label seems to be pursuing an admirable agenda of no-fuss recordings that is preferable to many larger labels who have a tendency to add guest musicians to regular working groups in a mix and match fashion. Both trumpeter and saxophonist have spoken of their musical affinity for each other and "III" demonstrates that this is indeed a very good partnership. That said, altoist Logan Richardson plays on one track and he similarly fits in tightly with Smith's concepts. With the addition of bassist Joe Sanders, it is fascinating to see how potent the current US twenty-something generation at playing within the traditions of jazz whilst definately adding value to the heritage. More interesting and adventurous than the 1980's young-Neos, I think.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

i have acquired the album as part of my monthly emusic scoop .... more later

just listened to prog on iplyaer ...but reading hard stuff all the way through ... have to say that the Strickland Trio caught my ear rather more than Akinmusire Ensemble ....

nice cheap prog for Jez tho ... all recorded elsewhere and bought in, no wonder the sound was ok ....
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
          X