X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Murray mints it with Geri & Terri

Apologies for this week's late delivery, all down to a computer breakdown.

Sat 26 Nov
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton with requests in all styles of jazz from trad to contemporary, both vocal and instrumental.

Trad afficionados will presumably note the lower case "t"...

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Kevin Le Gendre shines a spotlight on Argentinian composer/arranger Lalo Schifrin, best known for his film and TV scores, including Theme from Mission Impossible. He worked closely with Dizzy Gillespie and is also notable for his work on Clint Eastwood movies. Plus an interview with Schifrin recorded recently at his home in Beverly Hills.

My first acquantance with Mr Shifrin's playing was on the 1961 album "An Electrifying Evening With The Dizzy Gillespie Quintet - Recorded live in Concert" on Verve, at the Museum of Modern Art NYC, and it was the first time I heard the expression "Wow that's a gas, man!" in response to the pianist's Junior Mance-ish block chord climaxed solo to "The Mooch", emitted by from one of my schoolmates with whom one shared weekday term time afternoons copping out of compulsory sport and CCF. My first acts of class warfare.

Kevin LeGendre celebrates the music of Argentinian composer and arranger Lalo Schifrin.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Geoffrey Smith pays tribute to saxophonist Bobby Wellins - the artist behind the passionate, poignant sound on such classic recordings as Stan Tracey's Under Milk Wood - who died last month.

I remember a gig at which Stan complained to the sound person that he couldn't hear himself through his monitor, to which the latter asked, "Are you sure you really want to?" - and to which Bobby answered, "Just you watch it, laddie!", adding "don't forget, I come from Glasgow!"

Geoffrey Smith celebrates the distinguished career of the late saxophonist Bobby Wellins.

Mon 29 Nov
    11.00 Jazz Now

In a third programme from this year's EFG London Jazz Festival, Soweto Kinch presents David Murray, Geri Allen and Terri Lyne Carrington with their Power trio in concert at London's Cadogan Hall.

Soweto Kinch presents David Murray, Geri Allen and Terri Lyne Carrington in concert.

Tues 29 Nov
    Radio 2 7.00 Jamie Cullum

As part of BBC Music's My Generation season celebrating the 1980s, Jamie introduces a pick of favourite recordings of acid jazz, which gripped the UK and continental Europe starting in 1987. He also plays an exclusive excerpt from his time spent with the US star Billy Joel, who discusses his love of jazz. From next Tuesday Radio 2 broadcasts jamie's two-part interview with Billy Joel.

Surely Acid Jazz started in 1984 with Everything But The Girl and Working Week? Oh well never mind, it's only Radio 2...
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Yay! Cheers S_A!

OG

Edit:

Although JRR list not up yet on Alyn's website - available here, though.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
      • Nov 2010

List now up - am in the US and hadn't quite sorted out time difference!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
        List now up - am in the US and hadn't quite sorted out time difference!
        And there was I, thinking you were live from Broadcasting House...

OG

Comment

Working...
        X