X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

NAXOS jazz label

As NAXOS jazz CDs were mentioned elsewhere by Beef Oven!, Bluesnik & Ian I thought it might be worth having a thread devoted to this short-lived label.
    My only NAXOS jazz CD is 'I Don't Know This World Without Don Cherry' by the New York Jazz Collective'.
    An impressive band assembled by the pianist Mike Nock in 1996 with Marty Ehrlich(clarinet, bass clarinet, flute, alto sax); Baikida Carroll(trumpet, flugelhorn); Frank Lacy(trombone); Michael Formanek(bass); Pheeroan ak Laff or Steve Johns(drums).
    Here's the title-track:

New York Jazz CollectiveMarty Ehrilich, clarinet,bass clarinetMike Nock, pianoMichael Formanek, bassPheeroan ak Laff, drumsBaikida Caroll, trumpet, fluegelho...

...and here's a list of other NAXOS jazz CDs many of which are still available via Amazon including Bluesnik's missing Donny McCaslin:

Browse the latest, most popular classical music releases and lesser-known recordings from Naxos Jazz Legends, available for streaming and purchase.

JR
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Wow! Just listened through that YouTube New York Jazz Collective track Jazzrook gave the link to. What music-making! And the sound quality seems excellent.

Managed to get a copy of the album on Amazon for just over £4 all-in. The withdrawal of this label would appear to be more of a blow than I realised.

I have a couple of Umo Jazz Orchestra Naxos CDs and some other titles here and there. Naxos Direct seem to have some stock of this label.
    Last edited by Beef Oven!; 24-11-16, 12:56.

Comment

Working...
    X