• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Snooky Young RIP...

Clark Terry's Memories of Snooky Young

I am very saddened to learn of the passing of my dear friend, Snooky Young. I’ve known him from way back when he was in the Jimmy Lunceford Band. "Snooks" and I have been very close for over fifty years, and I’m going to miss him tremendously.

He was highly respected by every trumpet player in the business, and many tried to lead a section like he did. When I played an exceptional lead part, he’d say, "Aw, Man. You’re just trying to sound like me!" And when he’d play an outstanding solo, I’d say the same thing to him. We got the biggest kick out of that.

I remember back in the '70s when I was in the Tonight Show Band, Aaron Levine came to me and told me that he needed another trumpet player. I sent word to Snooks and he called me back. When I ran it all down to him, he accepted the gig. We had a lot of great times in that band, and we played many on many recording sessions together in New York.

His sweet wife Dottie, his children and his grandchildren were very close to me, and he felt the same about my family. We lived around the corner from each other in Bayside, New York for a while, and we shared lots of memorable times at work and at home.

One thing is for sure, he will definitely live on in his great music, and in our hearts. Rest in peace, Snooks. I’ll always love you!

http://clarkterry.com/blog (from Jazz Corner NY)

BN.
  • grippie

Very sad news: http://londonjazz.blogspot.com/2011/...1919-2011.html

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      Clark Terry's Memories of Snooky Young

I am very saddened to learn of the passing of my dear friend, Snooky Young. I’ve known him from way back when he was in the Jimmy Lunceford Band. "Snooks" and I have been very close for over fifty years, and I’m going to miss him tremendously.

He was highly respected by every trumpet player in the business, and many tried to lead a section like he did. When I played an exceptional lead part, he’d say, "Aw, Man. You’re just trying to sound like me!" And when he’d play an outstanding solo, I’d say the same thing to him. We got the biggest kick out of that.

I remember back in the '70s when I was in the Tonight Show Band, Aaron Levine came to me and told me that he needed another trumpet player. I sent word to Snooks and he called me back. When I ran it all down to him, he accepted the gig. We had a lot of great times in that band, and we played many on many recording sessions together in New York.

His sweet wife Dottie, his children and his grandchildren were very close to me, and he felt the same about my family. We lived around the corner from each other in Bayside, New York for a while, and we shared lots of memorable times at work and at home.

One thing is for sure, he will definitely live on in his great music, and in our hearts. Rest in peace, Snooks. I’ll always love you!

http://clarkterry.com/blog (from Jazz Corner NY)

BN.
      Thanks for reproducing this, Bluesie. Clark Terry is NINETY-ONE!

S-A

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

one of those names on record sleeves ..... himself

...this is sublime
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

Snooky Young was still touring with the Clayton- Hamilton big band that I saw several years ago. I suppose that he is most celebrated for his tenures with Count Basie's New Testament band but I always associate him with the brilliant trumpet playing on Jimmie Lunceford's exceptional "Uptown Blues" which is one of the great big band jazz classics of all time.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

IMPULSE A 2 "Ray Charles - Genius + Soul = Jazz"

Phil Guilbeau, Thad Jones, Joe Newman, Clark Terry, Snooky Young (tp) Henry Coker, Urbie Green, Al Grey, Benny Powell (tb) Marshall Royal, Frank Wess (as) Frank Foster, Billy Mitchell (ts) Charlie Fowlkes (bars) Freddie Green (g) Eddie Jones (b) Sonny Payne (d) Ray Charles (vo, org) Ralph Burns, Quincy Jones (arr)
            NYC, December 26, 1960

From The Heart
            I've Got News For You
            Moanin'
            Stompin' Room Only
            Mister C.
            Strike Up The Band

Where I first became aware of Snooky Young.

BN.

Comment

Working...
            X