X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

The other Rollins Tones

Something to start things off this weekend from our New Generation Jazzer, Ms. Jurd:

Sat 20 Aug
    12.15 pm

Laura Jurd
    Finding the Way
    Laura Jurd (trumpet), John Edwards (double bass), Seb Rochford (drums).

5.00 Jazz Record Requests
    Alyn Shipton presents jazz requests across the full spectrum, today with recordings by Northern Irish singer Ottilie Patterson with Chris Barber's Jazz Band.

6.00 Jazz Line-Up
    A special edition from the grounds of George Heriot's school - founded in 1628 in Edinburgh's Old Town - as part of the Edinburgh Festivals, including performances by trombonist Dennis Rollins and his trio, vocalist Cleveland Watkiss and pianist Julian Joseph.

Performances by Dennis Rollins and Cleveland Watkiss recorded at the Edinburgh Festivals.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Looking ahead to the Quincy Jones Prom on Monday, Geoffrey Smith celebrates the Chicago-born producer, arranger and musician's roots as a jazz prodigy.

Mon 22 Aug
    7.30 BBC Proms 2016

Sarah Mohr-Pietsch presents a concert from the Royal Albert Hall celebrating the career of Chicago-born composer, arranger, conductor, producer and jazz artist Quincy Jones. Richard Bona (voice/bass guitar), Jacob Collier (voice/piano/synth), Alfredo Rodriguez (piano), Metropole Orkest, conductor Jules Buckley. At

8.20, Proms Extra
    with Jules Buckley presenting an introduction to the music of Quincy Jones, recorded earlier in the Concert Hall of Imperial College Students' Union

11.00 Jazz Now
    Soweto Kinch introduces a concert from Bavaria by Stefano Bollani and his trio with bassist Jesper Bodilsen and drummer Morton Lund

Soweto Kinch introduces a concert given by Italian pianist Stefano Bollani and his trio.

That's about it for this week, really...
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

The Quincy Jones Prom is also on BBC4 TV(Monday, 22 August, 10-12pm).
    JR

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
      The Quincy Jones Prom is also on BBC4 TV(Monday, 22 August, 10-12pm).
      JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Most unusual selection of requests on JRR this week, apart from Bill Evans's "Waltz for Debbie Take 2".

"Mr Brubeck, take 100 lines: 'I must not write jazz tunes in unperformable time signatures'.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

Dennis Rollins - Velocity Trio

Not sure I can stand much more of Cleveland Watkiss

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
            Dennis Rollins - Velocity Trio
            Ross Stanley (on Hammond organ) puts himself about a bit - in the very best sense! I last heard him with Stan Sulzmann's quartet on piano, where he's equally good, and I'm sure he would have got to play with Kenny Wheeler.

Not sure I can stand much more of Cleveland Watkiss
            The vocal treatments worked in places, I thought. At least he's not just another copyist, like so many of today's so-called jazz vocalists.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

All very amiable but I am at a loss to know who that show is aimed at. It seems to be made for its own comfort zone & presenters, often too bland for the "enthusiast", and with not much to hook the casual. Its all a bit end of the pier. Jazz as a seaside resort in winter. And having lived in a windswept Torquay for two years in the 60s I know of which I speak.

BN.

Comment

• elmo
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                All very amiable but I am at a loss to know who that show is aimed at. It seems to be made for its own comfort zone & presenters, often too bland for the "enthusiast", and with not much to hook the casual. Its all a bit end of the pier. Jazz as a seaside resort in winter. And having lived in a windswept Torquay for two years in the 60s I know of which I speak.

BN.
                BN
                I completely agree it seems that all BBC radio arts programmes have been infected by the god awful "presenter style" of the moronic One show tv prog ...... I feel better now I have got that off my chest.

Rollins band was good though

elmo

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                  • Jan 2011

JLU variable, but on he whole quite good, I find.

Rollins band was good though
                  Good live too...

... I caught them at the end of the pier at the Scarboro' jazz festival a year or two back - excellent.

OG

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Claire Martin once said that the content of JLU is determined largely by the producer who 'picks the discs'. Perhaps this partly explains the frequency of singers and non-jazz/semi-jazz choices heard on the programme?

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                      Claire Martin once said that the content of JLU is determined largely by the producer who 'picks the discs'. Perhaps this partly explains the frequency of singers and non-jazz/semi-jazz choices heard on the programme?

JR
                      If that is so, I can hardly imagine a worse job than being expected to introduce bands or recordings one dislikes, while maintaining an air of enthusiasm - never mind the pay. Claire's somewhat deadpan manner of presentation is probably one way of coping - treating all the reviews equinanimously but interviewees courteously - but I am sometimes left wondering, where's the enthusiasm?

I did fancy I sensed a bit of friction between Julian Joseph and Qunicy Jones...

Comment

Working...
                      X