• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Jon3 23.v.11

Norwegian pianist Tord Gustavsen and his Ensemble at the Cheltenham Festiva
    no prog notes up yet usual time etc etc ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Jez Nelson presents Norwegian pianist Tord Gustavsen and his Ensemble at the Cheltenham Festival, including specially commissioned music for the occasion. Gustavsen has been at the forefront of the Scandinavian jazz scene for the last decade, developing with his trio a lyrical, often sparse sound that draws on their Nordic heritage as well as cool jazz, blues and gospel. Since 2008 he's been recording and touring with Tord Gustavsen Ensemble, appearing in quartet form here with tenor and soprano saxophonist Tore Brunborg, Mats Eilertsen on bass and the trio's drummer Jarle Vespestad.

Sounds like it could be worth a listen (unlike much on Jon3, I find).

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Tonight’s show features a round-up of dazzling new albums and, in contrast, a live performance from a master of eloquent restraint, Tord Gustavsen.

Gustavsen’s recognisable Nordic soundworld is right there as soon as the set opens with his sparse, quasi-classical solo piano, part of a new suite commissioned by the festival. But after so long on the road and in the studio with his trio, it feels surprising and refreshing to hear the addition of saxophonist and Garbarek disciple Tore Brunborg as a melodic sparring partner, and to encounter almost dense textures at times – though there are plenty of wide open spaces too.

In the interval, Tord talks to John Fordham about rawness and sophistication, fertilisation and stretching out on solid ground – all will become clear! Then it’s back to Cheltenham Town Hall – a venue that captures the ensemble’s every nuance, including in the second half a beautiful solo by bassist Mats Eilertsen, and Gustavsen’s long-time trio collaborator and drummer Jarle Vespestad reminding us of his prowess with the soft-headed sticks.

Before all of this, we kick off tonight’s programme with a round-up of the best new albums with John Fordham in the studio. The US is heavily represented, including new band James Farm (featuring Joshua Redman and Eric Harland); a supergroup of Lee Konitz, Charlie Haden, Paul Motian and Brad Mehldau in a spontaneous session at Birdland; a newly released Weather Report recording; and young Blue Note trumpeter Ambrose Akinmusire, who has made a big impression on John, the Jazz on 3 team and many others, and will be featured in performance on next week’s show.

Join Jez tonight at 11pm on Jazz on 3.

The Jazz on 3 team

If you have comments about the show, or requests for music you’d like to hear, do get in touch at jazzon3@bbc.co.uk Coming up: 30 May – Blue Note Records latest signing, US trumpeter Ambrose Akinmusire presents his debut album.
      6 June – Powerful American improv from the Overtone Quartet featuring Chris Potter, Jason Moran, Eric Harland and Larry Grenadier.
      13 June - highlights from some of the acts featured on Jazz on 3 this year that we couldn’t fit in first time round.
      20 June – a specially recorded session by Shabaka Hutchings’ new project Sons of Kemet
      Latest Jon3 Newsletter about tonight's programme
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

I think the James Farm [sic] will probably be the highlight of the programme for me. Just noting 20 June in me diary

Comment

• charles t
          • Nov 2010

"Sounds like it could be worth a listen (unlike much on Jon3, I find)."

Tore Brunborg's tenor stylings will be worth the (listening) investment.

Comment

• charles t
            • Nov 2010

So,

how did

everyone like

their ECM evening

with

Tord & Friends?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Gonna have to give it a listen on the iplayer, charles, since as happens I fell asleep.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Hi Chas oops forgot to listen ....it is an awkward slot to catch late on Monday .... and ECM noodles are not rare!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                  • Jan 2011

What I heard sounded good - but as with Calum - I will have to catch up on the i-player.

Currently catching up on the Simon Spillett Quartet on Jazz Line-Up...

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

I only managed to stay up for the first few tracks, and didn't get as far as the Gustavsen. But I thought the Ambrose Akinmusire track right at the beginning was very good indeed: I particularly liked the way the trumpet and saxophone lines wove in and out of each other. One for my shopping list.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

yep Byas'd; your post prompted the Listen Again button to be pushed ...

Akinmusire had me about three bars in to his solo intro ... wondeful

the start of the Tord ecm thing was slow and uninteresting .... and caused yet another push of the button

the James Farm is interesting in comarison to Simon Spillet on JLU ... highly capable musicians not very interesting music though i suspect that live James Farm would be a rather more engaging proposition

why would one bother with Tord when there is the Konitz/Mehldau/Haden/Motian stuff to hear ...how it is done eh ...

i was nodding off in the TGE first number when i had a counter factual daydream ...suppose Scott La Faro had not been killed in a car crash and Konitz joined the trio ...where would everything be now ....

all this nominal inflation too ... quite what is the problem with the term QUARTET?
                      Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 25-05-11, 18:23. Reason: typo city

Comment

• charles t
                        • Nov 2010

Calum: Now if you were (non-card-member) of the ECM cult, all that slowness would hearten thee...

Re: Konitz/Melhdau...reading about their 90's recording Alone Together at The Jazz Bakery in Culver City - when Konitz first heard Melhdau play - he said to himself:

'Another God damn'd virtuoso!'

Comment

Working...
                        X