X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • burning dog
    • Dec 2010

Miles Davis and EWF

Miles Davis described EWF as his "all time favorite band" saying, "they have everything (horns, electric guitar, singers and more) in one band"
    Sounds like they were exploring similar territory at this time. EWF in a more audience friendly way I guess.
    Last edited by burning dog; 15-07-16, 09:47.
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

BD

The weird thing about EW&F is that they would undoubtedly a pop act in their day yet listening in 2016 ( and watching the clip that you kindly posted) makes that seem really more of a jazz group. I believe that some of the members did come from a jazz background even if I have never heard them produce anything quite as wild and uninhibited as in your clip.

A week ago last Saturday I came about of a Niles Rodger's gig and got talking to an English couple about just how good that band was. We agreed that there was no way that Chic could have existed without jazz. It is fascinating to revisit these bands and realise just how influenced they were by jazz and, indeed, just how much jazz has taken from them too. I think most jazz fans would appreciate this music in 2016 whilst they might have been less enthusiastic in 1971. It is amazing how perceptions about bands can change over time.

The other thing that always intrigues me is that I grew up n the 1980's at a time when this kind of music was vilified. It does seem odd to compare and contrast so many groups such as EW&F and Chic with many of their (white) contemporaries where the music is often far less adventurous or even as well played - if you want to generalise. A lot of white pop / rock groups were unable to hold a candle to the likes of EW&F even if I concur that there are plenty of singer-songwriter types like Joni Mitchell who now seem to have been operating at the same kind of level as many of the Broadway greats. Some of the results are quite funny such as the Jethro Tull version of Roland Kirk's "Serenade to a cuckoo" which is impressive unless you are familiar with the original.

One of the points that was reinforced last week was just how much the repertoire of these bands as well as the likes of Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye or Michael Jackson is now becoming ingrained within big bands. Most of this stuff is a 1000 times better than the music produced by a group such as The Beatles where the melodies are ok-ish. It was salutary to also hear Amy Whitehouse also covered on two occasions and the music not really sounding at all out of place in a jazz festival. For me, the closer that pop music sounds to jazz, the more it appeals and the more credible it sounds.

Comment

• burning dog
      • Dec 2010

more conservative but "up with the times" in 71'

Proof that right through from Pop to "Avant Garde" fusion works better with Soul/Funk and dates better as well?

Where it works less well is when essentially bebop players used a soft funk background like the Jackie Maclean early 70's albums - Bluesniks favourites

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
        more conservative but "up with the times" in 71'

Proof that right through from Pop to "Avant Garde" fusion works better with Soul/Funk and dates better as well?

Where it works less well is when essentially bebop players used a soft funk background like the Jackie Maclean early 70's albums - Bluesniks favourites
        Well, it was only the one on RCA & which made more money with the 45s than any of his Bluenotes! Combined, I think. I was skipping through some Gary Bartz of that era and THAT is really dumb.But, some really neglected & very good stuff bending that way came out of Detroit with Marcus Belgrave (ex Ray) and the "tribe" of guys around him.Strata East and Soul Jazz?

Btw the baritone/tenor saxist Charles Davis has just died aged 83. Sun Ra, Kenny D, Philly JJ, Shepp, Elvin, own bands and many more. Fine player. Played a lot in Denmark etc.

BN.

Comment

• burning dog
          • Dec 2010

Bartz on his second album showing a Coltrane and McLean influence he didn't play stuff like this for years after

Belgrave was brilliant even more unsung than Charles Tolliver who is getting his due attention nowadays

Comment

• burning dog
            • Dec 2010

more jazz at a soul/funk gig

Comment

Working...
            X