• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Surf jazz washes whiter with a good Finnish

Sat 9 July
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

In the week that American trumpeter Johnny Coles (1926-97) would have turned 90, amid letters asking for all types of jazz, Alyn Shipton includes a request to celebrate Coles's playing and particularly his collaboration with pianist Randy Weston.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Claire Martin introduces a performance by New Focus recorded at the Royal Lyceum Theatre, Edinburgh, and Phil Smith highlights the "surf jazz" of Finnish guitarist and composer Valtteri Poyhonen.

NB: This is a repeat

A concert performance given by the Konrad Wiszniewski/Euan Stevenson New Focus quartet.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Geoffrey Smith celebrates the music of Tadd Dameron, the pianist/composer who provided the bebop revolution with some of its most exciting and enduring music. Includes performances by Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Sarah Vaughan and John Coltrane.

Geoffrey Smith's tribute to pianist-composer Tadd Dameron (1917-65).

Mon 11 July
    11.00 Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch introduces a performance by drummer Antonio Sanchez and his quartet Migration, featuring saxophonist Seamus Blake, pianist John Escreet and bassist Matt Brewer.

Soweto Kinch presents a concert of the Meridian Suite by drummer Antonio Sanchez.

In addition, Tues 12th's Late Junction on Radio 3 at 11.00 pm includes what the blurb says are new tracks from (among others) pianist Elliott Galvin, whom listeners may have caught playing with Laura Jurd (as it were) on last weekend's JLU.
  • Alyn_Shipton
    • Nov 2010

There's a full point missing from my web address, but fear not, the JRR playlist is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07jhpph

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
      There's a full point missing from my web address, but fear not, the JRR playlist is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07jhpph
      Thanks for that, Alyn.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        [B]5.00 Jazz Line-Up
        Claire Martin introduces a performance by New Focus recorded at the Royal Lyceum Theatre, Edinburgh, and Phil Smith highlights the "surf jazz" of Finnish guitarist and composer Valtteri Poyhonen.

NB: This is a repeat

A concert performance given by the Konrad Wiszniewski/Euan Stevenson New Focus quartet.

I hope people weren't discouraged from listening to today's JLU, which included 3 numbers from the Focus gig listed on the link, but was otherwise not the repeat as stated there and in RT.

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Thanks for that, Alyn.

Francis Albert and Johnny Hodges brought the sun to the pit heaps ....

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

JRR and JLU nothing if not democratic! It's good to hear a wide spread of Jazz. Alyn's programme brilliant, I thought. My favourite Horace Parlan, but it was good to hear Frank Sinatra as nature intended, and not that croaky old voice harking back to better times. Ella and Oscar, as they frequently are, curiously unsatisfying.

Could do without the chat interviews and presentations on JLU. I find Jazz musicians are often much less interesting when speaking about their music, than actually playing it (classical musicians often the converse!). But what happened to the playlist on JLU?
            Last edited by Quarky; 10-07-16, 11:08. Reason: feeling bitchy

Comment

Working...
            X