X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Xanadu Records

Quite intrigued to read a number of reviews of a record label which ran from 1975 until mid-way through the last decade. I am ashamed to say that I have never heard of the label but the roster is really impressive and gives the impression of a slightly more switched on Pablo;-

The music seems to have been recorded by a whole generation of musicians active throughout the 50's and 60's but who were decidedly unfashionable in the next decade albeit a large number of the musicians were only middle aged. I think it was a review of the Jimmy Heath album "A picture of heath" which brought the label to my attention as I wasn't aware that this musician had produced a quartet record with Billy Hart and Tommy Flanagan. The reviews are extremely favourable but I think with that kind of line up you are only ever going to get good results. The more I listen to Jimmy Heath as both a soloist and composer / writer , the more respect I have for him. As a composer, I think he is at least the equal of Tadd Dameron.

Amazingly, there are records by musicians that I thought were inactive by this point such as Paul Chambers, sonny Clark and Frank Butler. The only concession to modernity other than a very young Bob Berg is the odd reference to Peter Sprague who recorded on Concord in the 1980's before disappearing.

Wondered if anyone else was aware of the re-issue programme that had been underway at this point or felt the same about this label as one reviewer on Amazon who suggested that the output of the label's owner was a guarantee of quality in the 1970's when this wasn't in abundance ? I have not heard of any of the records in question and wondered if anyone else had any recommendations / thoughts?
Working...
X