• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Fare thee well, Jez

Saturday 19 March - 4 pm
    Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton introduces requested recordings by the Six and Seven-Eighths String Band of New Orleans, who played Dixieland standards on mandolins and guitars under the leadership of New Orleans doctor Edmond "Doc" Souchon (1897-1968).

Never 'eard of 'im.

No Jazz Line-Up - enjoy your Donny Zetti, famous Italian-American Dixieland washbored opera composer, from the Met (not the London one) instead, and be grateful, you philistines.

Saturday 19 March - 12 midnight
    Geoffrey Smith's Jazz

Featuring a celebration of Detroit-raised Betty Carter (1929-98), the jazz diva once dubbed "Betty Bebop", whose scat and free-range improvisation skills alowed her to reinvent standard tunes in creative new ways

Geoffrey Smith celebrates the music of smoky-voiced improvising singer Betty Carter.

Monday 21 March - 11 pm
    Jez on 3

Jez Nelson and guest critics select their favourite new jazz releases

Jez Nelson and guest critics select their favourite new jazz releases.

And it's goodby from him...

Paul Jones' blues programme on Monday at 7 pm and Jamie same time Tuesday, both on R2, and that's yer lot for this week, folks.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Saturday 19 March - 4 pm
    Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton introduces requested recordings by the Six and Seven-Eighths String Band of New Orleans, who played Dixieland standards on mandolins and guitars under the leadership of New Orleans doctor Edmond "Doc" Souchon (1897-1968).

Never 'eard of 'im.

No Jazz Line-Up - enjoy your Donny Zetti, famous Italian-American Dixieland washbored opera composer, from the Met (not the London one) instead, and be grateful, you philistines.

Saturday 19 March - 12 midnight
    Geoffrey Smith's Jazz

Featuring a celebration of Detroit-raised Betty Carter (1929-98), the jazz diva once dubbed "Betty Bebop", whose scat and free-range improvisation skills alowed her to reinvent standard tunes in creative new ways

Geoffrey Smith celebrates the music of smoky-voiced improvising singer Betty Carter.

Monday 21 March - 11 pm
    Jez on 3

Jez Nelson and guest critics select their favourite new jazz releases

Jez Nelson and guest critics select their favourite new jazz releases.

And it's goodby from him...

Paul Jones' blues programme on Monday at 7 pm and Jamie same time Tuesday, both on R2, and that's yer lot for this week, folks.
    "Awwww Jez sails into the sunset/From Radio Three/We're all going to miss him/But his tastes weren't (always)/for me" - Fats Domino and his New Orleans Thumping Triplets. (Don't settle for less).

Btw, someone has requested a JRR track by Max Roach and the legendary Hasaan, much liked by yours truly since its release all those centuries ago. And by Sonny Rollins. Max is a bit up in the balance tho.
    Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 19-03-16, 10:13.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Brilliant!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

This band is brilliant. Here is another track. Apparently the band was formed in 1913 and, as the notes suggest, it sounds like something that has strayed from a record collection compiled by R Crumb.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

That Ken Coyler track went on a bit! And on a bit...And on a bit...everytime I thought the nerve pain was over the "dentist" dug deeper. The Buck Clayton track was great though. And Hasaan.

Time we had some French jazz me feels.

BN.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
            That Ken Coyler track went on a bit! And on a bit...And on a bit...everytime I thought the nerve pain was over the "dentist" dug deeper. The Buck Clayton track was great though. And Hasaan.

Time we had some French jazz me feels.

BN.
            I thought the Hassan was magic ......

Comment

• elmo
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              I thought the Hassan was magic ......
              Yeah me too - Great pianist, wish there was more than that one album.

elmo

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                Yeah me too - Great pianist, wish there was more than that one album.

elmo
                Hasaan Ibn Ali Quartet: Atlantic Records.
                Odean Pope (tenor saxophone) Hasaan Ibn Ali (piano) Art Davis (bass) Kalil Madi (drums)
                August 23, 1965
                9220 The Atlantic Ones Atlantic unissued
                9221 Viceroy -
                9222 El Hasaan -
                9223 Richard May Love
                Give Powell

This is the Hasaan unreleased second date - master tapes then destroyed in the major Atlantic tape vault fire of 1974. Although Chuck Nessa believes a tape copy is out there somewhere. Surprised it hasn't surfaced by now.

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

The problem with the Hassam track was the wildly out of tune piano - even worse than the one Monk was given to play with Prestige. It is a shame as the playing is really original and seems like an extension of the kind of music that Herbie Nichols produced but factored through Cecil Taylor and Don Pullen. I have got to say that the sound recording on Atlantic is often pretty woeful and the tracks have a thinness about them which make them a disappointment from an aural perspective. "Giant Steps" is a good example where someone like Impulse of Blue Note would have given more attention to their product. It is really unfortunate that the only record Hassan made should have been on a woeful instrument in Atlantic's studio but I think that out of tune pianos were not unique and even Columbia would give Bill Evans a poorly tuned instrument to play on "Kind of Blue."

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

Jazz on 3 retrospective

I really enjoyed the selection of music on Jazz on 3 which nicely summarised the significant groups of the 21st Century. The tracks included a mixture of styles but few will disagree that the likes of Mike Brecker, David S Ware, Wayne Shorter and Andrew Hill produced some of the greatest jazz of this era. Nice to hear a solo concert by Bill Frisell selected as I think this is the format which he is the most compelling.

It is intriguing to see that the best music seemed to be chosen from musicians who had emerged no later than the 1980's. There were a few concessions to more recent bands like Matana Roberts whose group seemed right on the money as well as The Claudias which was the most interesting track. I also enjoyed Darcy James Argue's big band and was pleased to see that this was singled out as I had also been impressed when I first encountered this orchestra when their first album was released and still feel they seem a little under-appreciated.

What was curious was the that the one track which seemed shallow was that by the one band who Jez noted was probably the most influential in the last 18 years - EST. This trio never appealed and catching them perform live with "frozen smoke" drifting across stage at their gig really made me hate what they stood for. Interesting to see that, with the passage of time, their music is the one that has really dated whereas a lot of the other stuff sounded pretty timeless. I guessed at the time that EST were too modish but true genius like Wayne Shorter is producing music that is forever.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

I note in the new RT that there is in fact one more Jezz on 3; the new programme clinched by Mr Cynch goes out the week after, under the zippy title Jazz Now - looks like no vinyl then, Ian.

Comment

• Quarky
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        I note in the new RT that there is in fact one more Jezz on 3; the new programme clinched by Mr Cynch goes out the week after, under the zippy title Jazz Now - looks like no vinyl then, Ian.
                        Listening to Jezz's new programme on Jazz FM, I have the impression that he has a difficult bridge to cross - how to keep the advertisers happy. I don't think Henry Threadgill goes down well in that quarter. I think he will have to work some pop /R&B into the programme, otherwise.........

Comment

Working...
                        X