Webster's and other's Dictionary Book, but no Sugar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Webster's and other's Dictionary Book, but no Sugar.

Sat 20 Feb 4 pm - Jazz Record Requests
    Alyn Shipton introduces more listeners' requests, including music by tenor saxophonist Ben Webster and traditional tunes by Bristol's Avon Cities Band

5 pm - Jazz Line-Up
    Performances from the BBC introducing stage, recorded last July during the Manchester Jazz Festival, featuring pianist Ashley Henry and jazz septet Nerija. And Phil Smith profiles the Slovenian musician Igor Bezget

'Round Midnight - Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Geoffrey Smith celebrates the career of British saxophonist Bobby Wellins [] who was 80 last month. Wellins found fame with his contribution to Stan Tracey's classic 1965 recording Jazz Suite Inspired by Dylan Thomas's Under Milk Wood.

They must have changed the titled since I last looked, then...

bc.co.uk is available for purchase. Get in touch to discuss the possibilities!

Mon 22 Feb 11 pm - Jazz on 3
    Jez Nelson presents a concert in Hamburg featuring Brooklyn-based saxophonist and flautist Anna Webber and her septet Percussive Mechanics

Brooklyn-based saxophonist Anna Webber performs with her septet Percussive Mechanics.

And lest we overlook:

Thurs 25 Feb Radio 1 - 10 pm Jazz Junctions
    7th out of a 10-programme series

Guy Barker's history of jazz continues beyond bebop with the phenomenon of prolific trumpeter and composer Miles Davis (1926-91), his milestone [sic] Kind of Blue - a 1957 release of 1949-50 recordings by Davis and his nonet - and the resulting consolidation of the modal style

... well this IS what is written in Radio Times...

This new structure [sic] led Davis to his LP Kind of Blue - the last of his 21 1950s releases and still the best-selling of all jazz albums. Discussing the cool jazz movement

... whatever this means ...

are pianist Dave Brubeck (1920-2012), drummer Jimmy Cobb, Gunther Schuller (1925-2015), horn player Chico Hamilton

... ffs who wrote this???

(1921-2013), bassist Bill Crow and others. Plus archive input by composer and pianist Gil Evans (1912-88) and saxophonist and composer Gerry Mulligan (1927-96)

All good stuff (if you ignore the above write-up), so if you might not have heard this programme first time around...
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Sat 20 Feb 4 pm - Jazz Record Requests
    Alyn Shipton introduces more listeners' requests, including music by tenor saxophonist Ben Webster and traditional tunes by Bristol's Avon Cities Band

5 pm - Jazz Line-Up
    Performances from the BBC introducing stage, recorded last July during the Manchester Jazz Festival, featuring pianist Ashley Henry and jazz septet Nerija. And Phil Smith profiles the Slovenian musician Igor Bezget

'Round Midnight - Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Geoffrey Smith celebrates the career of British saxophonist Bobby Wellins [] who was 80 last month. Wellins found fame with his contribution to Stan Tracey's classic 1965 recording Jazz Suite Inspired by Dylan Thomas's Under Milk Wood.

They must have changed the titled since I last looked, then...

bc.co.uk is available for purchase. Get in touch to discuss the possibilities!

Mon 22 Feb 11 pm - Jazz on 3
    Jez Nelson presents a concert in Hamburg featuring Brooklyn-based saxophonist and flautist Anna Webber and her septet Percussive Mechanics

Brooklyn-based saxophonist Anna Webber performs with her septet Percussive Mechanics.

And lest we overlook:

Thurs 25 Feb Radio 1 - 10 pm Jazz Junctions
    7th out of a 10-programme series

Guy Barker's history of jazz continues beyond bebop with the phenomenon of prolific trumpeter and composer Miles Davis (1926-91), his milestone [sic] Kind of Blue - a 1957 release of 1949-50 recordings by Davis and his nonet - and the resulting consolidation of the modal style

... well this IS what is written in Radio Times...

This new structure [sic] led Davis to his LP Kind of Blue - the last of his 21 1950s releases and still the best-selling of all jazz albums. Discussing the cool jazz movement

... whatever this means ...

are pianist Dave Brubeck (1920-2012), drummer Jimmy Cobb, Gunther Schuller (1925-2015), horn player Chico Hamilton

... ffs who wrote this???

(1921-2013), bassist Bill Crow and others. Plus archive input by composer and pianist Gil Evans (1912-88) and saxophonist and composer Gerry Mulligan (1927-96)

All good stuff (if you ignore the above write-up), so if you might not have heard this programme first time around...
    Yes, shame they get the work experience kid to write this guff but I remember that series as being pretty good. I've got it stored somewhere in a box...

BN

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Also, Paul Jones, Radio 2, Mon 22 Feb, 7pm has "writer Peter Vacher discussing 'Swingin' on Central Avenue' - his book about the formative period of African-American jazz and swing in pre-Second World War Los Angeles."
      Should be interesting.

JR

Comment

• elmo
        • Nov 2010

My JRR request is being played this week (thanks Alyn), it's a really fine Sam Rivers track from the underrated Blue Note album "A New Conception"

elmo

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
          Also, Paul Jones, Radio 2, Mon 22 Feb, 7pm has "writer Peter Vacher discussing 'Swingin' on Central Avenue' - his book about the formative period of African-American jazz and swing in pre-Second World War Los Angeles."
          Should be interesting.

JR
          Alyn did two programs on this scene back in the day (C90 archives) - Very good with a fine interview with Teddy Edwards setting the background. I'm a big fan of the "club blues" of that local as well as les jazz.

BN.

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by elmo View Post
            My JRR request is being played this week (thanks Alyn), it's a really fine Sam Rivers track from the underrated Blue Note album "A New Conception"

elmo
            Will look forward to hearing your request from Sam Rivers 'A New Conception' - an album that's never been easy to find.
            Will have my ancient cassette recorder primed!

JR

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
              • Nov 2010

BN in fact I did five programmes on Los Angeles' Central Avenue - talked to Teddy Edwards, but also loads of others including Vi Redd, Buddy Collette, Gerald Wilson, Gerald Wiggins and Marl Young. Details here: http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/9472f0c3e...bfea6648ea4cad

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

My faulty memory Alyn, apologies. I'll dig those tapes out again this weekend as its well worth revisiting. And my Cecil Gant box set. OK, he only had two tunes but they were good ones.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Geoff Nichols, of Avon Cities fame, ran a jazz record shop in Bristol. Going in there one day - it must have been at least 30 years after today's track was recorded - I found an early ECM record, "Output" by the Wolfgang Dauner trio - very experimental and free, lots of electronics - Stockhausen crossed with Sun Ra, sort of thing. "I'd be glad if you bought it", said Geoff. Why, I wanted to know? "It's been there ever since I opened this shop!" I forgot to ask how long the shop had been open.

On another occasion there, I asked to hear the LP of John Stevens's Freebop - the great 1984 recording with Peter King, Paul Rutherford, Jon Corbett, Gordon Beck and Jeff Clyne taken at the Bracknell Festival. Seeing Geoff screwing up his face I said, "What's wrong with it? You can hear Peter King doing his bebop thing, swinging like mad: right up your street, I'd have thought". "He's the only one who is!", Geoff said.

PS - The Jazz Crusaders track - ace, frankly!!!
                  Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 20-02-16, 17:45. Reason: PS

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

I like Elmo's request best of all which I had not heard before. It sounded amazingly contemporary to my ears.

I like the little personal bits added in with the introduction and the decision to get something played to celebrate Henry VIII's inauguration of a postmaster did make me laugh. (There is an earlier version by Basie of this track with Jimmy Rushing which is even better although my favourite account of the tune is by Eric Revis' quartet with Nasheet Waits, Jason Moran and Ken Vandermark - it will probably make most JRR listeners run for the hills though. ) Does this mean that there could be a trend to celebrate some even more significant anniversaries this year especially Shakespeare's which I think it would be criminal to be overlooked as he was probably the greatest ever Englishman ? Not sure if it would be tasteful to mark the anniversary of the Battle of the Somme but I did wonder whether the Norman Conquest of 1066 might be marked by a French - only programme. ( Assuming that Norman artists much be pretty thin on the ground even allowing for a few Fleming mercenaries such as Barney Wilen? )

I have a Bud Freeman story too. My late piano teacher flew Blenheims and Sunderland flying boats in the war and it was whilst stationed an one aerodrome that he encountered Freeman blowing some impressive tenor in a band consisting of US personnel stationed in the UK. No knowing who he was, my teacher went up to Freeman, complimented him on his playing and asked him what he thought of Coleman Hawkins. Apparently, he got a rather spicy answer as a response ! There is another link to the music on JRR as my teacher also knew George Shearing at the same time when he used to sit in on jam sessions in clubs in London.

The Sun Ra track chosen reaffirmed my perception of him although his music is probably even odder than I thought it was. I much preferred the Clarence Williams track - another really fascinating character.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

Shakespeare's maternal grandmother was Welsh. Therefore he should be celebrated by some Welsh jazz. Nick Evans, say with Elton Dean? I will not (yet again) suggest Caerphilly Joe Jones, oh why not.

BTW, the working title for the lad's Romeo and Juliet was originally "Rhodri and Nerys", not many people know that. The S4C production was not a success.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                        Shakespeare's maternal grandmother was Welsh. Therefore he should be celebrated by some Welsh jazz. Nick Evans, say with Elton Dean? I will not (yet again) suggest Caerphilly Joe Jones, oh why not.

BTW, the working title for the lad's Romeo and Juliet was originally "Rhodri and Nerys", not many people know that. The S4C production was not a success.
                        There was a massive influx of Flemings into Wales in the 11th / 12th Century. I think that it is probably reasonable for Shakespeare to be considered totally English and not coming from the "wrong side" of Offa's Dyke. Wales has it's own literary giant in Gerald of Wales not to mention the Mabinogion.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

I will not (yet again) suggest Caerphilly Joe Jones, oh why not.
                          Cheese a jolly good fellow.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Alyn did two programs on this scene back in the day (C90 archives) - Very good with a fine interview with Teddy Edwards setting the background. I'm a big fan of the "club blues" of that local as well as les jazz.

BN.
                            A fascinating Paul Jones programme with some obscure musicians discussed and great tracks played. A pity Peter Vacher's book 'Swingin' on Central Avenue' is so pricey. Will order a copy from my library(if the Tories don't close it down!).

JR
                            Last edited by Jazzrook; 23-02-16, 10:21.

Comment

Working...
                            X