X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Nardis

As far as I know, Miles Davis never recorded his Oriental-sounding composition 'Nardis' but here are three versions by Bill Evans, Cannonball Adderley & the George Russell Sextet. Are there any others?

Album: Explorations (1961) Bill Evans: piano, Scott LaFaro: bass, Paul Motian: drums Composition: Who knows? Bill Evans? Miles Davis? -- go here for example:...

From the 2006 Riverside Profiles series Cannonball AdderleyCannonball Adderley, alto saxBlue Mitchell, trumpetBill Evens, pianoSam Jones, bassPhilly Joe Jone...

Ezz-thetics (1961)Personnel:George Russell (Piano)Don Ellis (Trumpet)Dave Baker (Trombone)Eric Dolphy (Alto Saxophone, Bass Clarinet)Steve Swallow (Bass)Joe ...

Dying from his life-long drug habit, in a harrowing burst of creative energy, Bill Evans raged against ‘the dying of the light’ night after night in these relentless, probing, profound performances.
    Last edited by Jazzrook; 21-12-15, 11:08.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

There's a nice on one the 1968 Neil Ardley New Jazz Orchestra recording "Dejeuner sur l'Herbe" - an Ardley arrangement iirc.

Oh, and the one on the wonderful George Russell Sextet "Ezz-thetics" album of 1961, with Eric Dolphy, Don Ellis and co which I have before me. Hmm - time to hear again.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

....Ah haa....the Phrygian dominant scale....
      bong ching

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Joe Henderson recorded a very cool sextet version on his "The Kicker" album in '67. (Milestone). I think its now quite an attractive "standard" so a lot of people have picked up on it...Phil Woods, Hank Jones, Charlie Haden etc.

There was a suggestion on Organissimo a few years back that Miles got the title from a then US fashion house "Nardis" that made some rather attractive women's dresses etc. Miles being a fashionista and him and Cannonball dressing up as "ladies" is their spare time. The REAL reason Philly Joe left...

BN.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
          ....Ah haa....the Phrygian dominant scale....
          Morticia! You spoke French!!!
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Morticia! You spoke French!!!
            ....I rec' sponging the 'S' bend until almost clear of water, then applying a good deal of elbow grease and classic Ajax powder on a metal scouring pad....
            bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

....I rec' sponging the 'S' bend until almost clear of water, then applying a good deal of elbow grease and classic Ajax powder on a metal scouring pad....
              That's scraping the bottom rather, isn't it??

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                That's scraping the bottom rather, isn't it??

....failing that, spread a bit of this....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNxtkpy03Ck
                bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

....failing that, spread a bit of this....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNxtkpy03Ck
                  I managed to pick up the album with that on at the last-ever Bracknell Festival. Pat Thomas came over and said: "AAARGH! You have THAT!? I've been searching for that for ever since I can remember. How much will you sell it me for?" I told him I'd do him a cassette and hand it to him when he came down to play at our gig the following weekend. When I did so, he said, "That's all right - I've got it!" Pat was slim in those days and in appearance like a better-dressed Herbie Hancock - none of today's puffa jacket and woolly Rasta mad hatter of cluster cruncher fame; very a la mode.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

....it's a top album....(what's that in todays parlance....we've gone past 'sick' I believe....)....<probably requires a ? in their somewhere....>
                    bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

....it's a top album....(what's that in todays parlance....we've gone past 'sick' I believe....)....<probably requires a ? in their somewhere....>
                      I think I paid 20 smackers for it back in '88!

Speaking of spreading Nutella, this will probably be the swansong they play for me when I go:

Spread a little happinessEven when the darkest clouds are in the skyYou mustn't sigh and you mustn't crySpread a little happiness as you go byPlease tryWhat'...

I much prefer the Cleo Laine 1955 version that used to be on utube to thissun, but neither has much to do with Nardis except "Nar dis am what I's sayin', if ya get me".

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

....the greatest gift that we possess....
                        bong ching

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                          • Dec 2010

....the greatest gift that we possess....
                          "Roy Plomey (Desert Island Discs) audibly blushed when he thought Brigitte Bardot’s luxury item –‘A Piness’ – was too rude to broadcast - but it was, she’s insisted in her thick French accent, ‘what we whole world needs most – ’appiness!’ BBC retrospective.

Salute Brigitte! So, not Ken Dodd then...

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                            "Roy Plomey (Desert Island Discs) audibly blushed when he thought Brigitte Bardot’s luxury item –‘A Piness’ – was too rude to broadcast - but it was, she’s insisted in her thick French accent, ‘what we whole world needs most – ’appiness!’ BBC retrospective.

Salute Brigitte! So, not Ken Dodd then...

BN.

I wonder how my French lady friend would react if I told her this story.

Comment

• MarkG
                              • Apr 2011

Ralph Towner

Comment

Working...
                              X