X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
    I've got a number of L'arpeggiata discs and they are massively good fun. The only one which was a bit below par was the Montiverdi disc but I have heard the Purcell record and agree with Oddball that the critics were wrong with this one. They record a wide range of repertoire but I feel the more obscure stuff that Christina Pluhar unearths are absolutely fascinating. I saw them in concert in Salisbury about ten years ago and thought they were brilliant although wasn't enthused by the dancer who featured. After the gig all the musicians met up with the audience and were very obliging in explaining how the music and their instruments worked. Christina Pluhar was particularly pleasant and you came away with the impression that they have a real passion for this music. I have one disc of theirs with a DVD which includes a number of pieces one of which lumbers under some obscure name but which turns out to be Juan Tizol's "Caravan." I think Pluhar is someone who knows her jazz too.
    By coincidence, L'Arpeggiata is performing at Wigmore hall tonight. But sold out.

Comment

• duncan
      • Apr 2012

Lots of cool suggestions above.

Eumir Deodato plays Richard Strauss as a Blaxploitation movie theme.

Comment

• duncan
        • Apr 2012

Mahler, Catholic or Jewish? Uri Caine takes the latter view.

Comment

• duncan
          • Apr 2012

Django Reinhardt, Stéphane Grappelli and Eddie South do their thing. I like to think Bach would have approved.

Comment

• duncan
            • Apr 2012

Play it again guys.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Lalo Schifrin Firebird

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Padraig
                • Feb 2013

The John Kirby Sextet is worth a look.
                Here's an example: The Bounce of the Sugar Plum Fairy.

John Kirby (December 31, 1908 -- June 14, 1952), was a jazz double-bassist who also played trombone and tuba.Kirby was born in Winchester, Virginia. In 1926,...

Comment

• Padraig
                  • Feb 2013

.... and Art Tatum on Humoresque by Dvorak

Rare footage of Art Tatum playing his rendition of Humoresque by Dvorak

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                    • Nov 2010

Dick Hyman did two jazz-tweaked classical pieces tonight at Dizzy's Club (Coca-Cola) in NYC, his riffs on:
                    (a) Rachmaninoff's arrangement of Fritz Kreisler's Liebesleid
                    (b) Johnny Guarneri's Minute and a Half Waltz (JG's riff on Chopin's Minute Waltz, natch)

Comment

Working...
                    X