• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Chilli Fillies?
    No, but the chilli did "filles" me up if you must know.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

I was chuffed to be able to acquire a CD copy of a 1983 album by Brazilian pianist / singer Tania Maria called "Come with me."

I must admit that Tania Maria was my route in to contemporary jazz when I was about 17. For me, Brazilian jazz sometimes has uneasy connotations with the Getz / Gilberto combination providing what was probably the very first attempt at Smooth Jazz. Tania Maria's earlier albums offered an approach which took it's cues from the likes of Oscar Peterson with Charlie Byrd type guitar but "Come with me" kicked this all in to touch with a funkier approach which probably needs to be taken in to context with what Miles was doing at the same time. This is a more urban and contemporary Brazil and, I dare say, far more exciting.

Without doubt "Come with me" is one of the great summer records and it offers some of her hardest swinging recordings. This is a Brazilian music which can take on the more romantic aspects you might expect but, more interesting, offers the contrast of some really hard grooving numbers. Listening now, the thing that strikes you about her music is the fact that each successive chorus cranks up the excitement with her often employing catchy vocal riffs over her piano playing. For me, "Come with me" is one of the great jazz-fusion records of the 1980s and it remains hugely enjoyable. There are more straight ahead numbers like the duet with guitarist Eddie Duran on "Embraceable me" which is far more inventive than I recalled it at the time. But it is tracks like this which I keep returning to time and time again. This track is one of the best - quite incredible to sense how much head of steam she has built up before the tune returns to it's head.

a lightly restored recording of a LP from the album come with me from 1983

Subsequent albums became increasingly commercial with the follow up "Love Explosion" being pretty credible 1980's pop. There is a live album called "Wild! 2 which is as good as "Come with me" and the later studio album "Outrageous" is worth while hunting down too.

It always struck me as odd how the Picante subsidiary of Concord records seemed to be so hip and on the money whereas the main label itself tended towards the more mainstream albeit with very high production standards and consistency. My Dad loved Concord records yet it always seemed difficult for me to reconcile that Carl Jefferson would also sign someone like Tania Maria who was so steadfastly contemporary.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

This is the Tania Maria track which always impressed me. I love the popping quality of the electric bass:-

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

‘Not so Dukish’ – Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra
          Johnny Hodges featuring Ben Webster with Roy Eldridge, Ray Nance, Jimmy Hamilton, Lawrence Brown, Billy Strayhorn, Jimmy Woode, Sam Woodyard
          Verve (rec. 1958)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
            This is the Tania Maria track which always impressed me. I love the popping quality of the electric bass:-
            It's great: I saw Tania Maria at the 1985 Bracknell Festival; the day was already hot and I think she was first on the main stage. What a wonderful way to kick proceedings off the ground! I've always loved Flora Purim, who in many was was the pioneer for this kind of Latin funk fusion; I found an already worn out copy of "Butterfly Dreams" going second hand many years ago, and was delighted to find the CD re-release in Foyles last year. A favourite of mine and an exception for one who doesn't much like vocalists apart from Billie and Norma. Here's the entire recording - just the stuff to listen to in warm weather such as we're having. The opening and closing funk, already formulaic by 1974, was obviously there to encourage commercial saleability, and one truly hopes those buying the record on an opening snippet would have found themselves transported and permanently transmogrified by what comes after, the sheer sensuous warmth of which, just using Fender Rhodes and electric guitar with a dash of reverb, at times induces tears, as well as including some of my favourite Joe Henderson. One or two other surprises in the line-up too - perhaps. Anyways::::

Tracklist A1. Dr. Jive (part 1) 0:00A2. Butterfly Dreams 2:15A3. Dindi 9:17A4. Summer Night 12:54B1. Love Reborn 18:48B2. Moon Dreams 22:30B3. Dr. Jive (part...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

I came by the new Henry Lowther's Still Waters CD last night. Barry Green took over after Pete Saberton's death in 2012, otherwise it's the line-up of Henry, Pete Hurt, Dave Green and Paul Clarvis. Paul reckons it's better than the first and only other recording of this band, so, knowing they can do their stuff, I'm looking forward to the listen. Henry provides the humour we've come to associate with his introductions in the liner notes. Here's the one for "Amber":

"Amber is dedicated to Barry and his wife Rosie's new baby daughter. Calling her Amber means that if they were ever to have a son called Red they'd have a complete traffic light set".

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

'Destination... Out!'
                Jackie McLean with Grachan Moncur II, Bobby Hutcherson, Larry Ridley & Roy Haynes
                Blue Note (1963)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                  'Destination... Out!'
                  Jackie McLean with Grachan Moncur II, Bobby Hutcherson, Larry Ridley & Roy Haynes
                  Blue Note (1963)
                  Pretty far out stuff by your usual... STANdards, Stan!

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Miles Davis and John Coltrane - The Final Tour - Bootleg Series vol. 6.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Pretty far out stuff by your usual... STANdards, Stan!
                      Hiya S-A,

Maybe, I'd not thought about it! You see I know nothing about jazz and just follow the performers whose playing I know and love, and go where their music wants to take me. I acknowledge Jackie McLean liked to explore different avenues and this is an example of his adventurous nature.

Last edited by Stanfordian; 20-04-18, 13:41.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

‘Saxophone Colossus’
                        Sonny Rollins with Tommy Flanagan, Doug Watkins & Max Roach
                        Prestige (1956)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

'One Flight Up'
                          Dexter Gordon with Donald Byrd, Kenny Drew, Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen & Art Taylor
                          Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• Stunsworth
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                            Miles Davis and John Coltrane - The Final Tour - Bootleg Series vol. 6.

Onl two thumbs up? I’d say it deserves at least three.
                            Steve

Comment

• Stunsworth
                              • Nov 2010

Grant Green: Funk in France

A Record Store Day triple LP. I’ve only listened to one side so far, but it’s very, very good - and excellent sounding mono.

Steve

Comment

• burning dog
                                • Dec 2010

The Blues and the Abstract Truth - Oliver Nelson

Comment

Working...
                                X