X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
    That's very interesting... where can one hear him doing this?
    Well I'm pretty sure it was at a concert by one of John McLaughlin's bands, many years ago, but I have to say I can't remember anything else about it, having been so struck by Gurtu's solo that the rest has faded into mists of time. I haven't checked out any other examples, so unless this is an example of false memory on my part I'm afraid you'll have to take my word for it. Sorry!

I'll check out utube for any comparable examples.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      unless this is an example of false memory on my part I'm afraid you'll have to take my word for it.
      Of course I believe you - it's just that I'd like to hear it myself!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
        Of course I believe you - it's just that I'd like to hear it myself!
        Try this, from around 16 minutes in - you get the works, or some of it:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
          Blimey! That interpretation is like torture to my ears.
          Yup, awful vocals and an unimaginative band arrangement, which to my ears does not enhance it in any way. Jim Webb should sue for bringing his song into disrepute. Glen's recording of it was pop music near its best. Ian, I'm always interested in good versions of any song and do not write off any genre unlike some on these boards, and had you given Cassandra Wilson's as a jazz influenced version of the song I would have gone along with you, not better than Glen's but interestingly different.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Try this, from around 16 minutes in - you get the works, or some of it
            Thanks. What he's actually doing (a few minutes later on when he goes back to the kit) is keeping a beat with one hand and playing different subdivisions of it (4, 5, 6 etc.) with the other, in such a way that the hands almost seem independent of one another in tempo. Which is not to say his rhythmical skills are anything less than amazing.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

Richard / SA

Picking up on the discussion regarding Trilok Gurtu, I thought that this was going to be the trio mentioned. The YouTube clip features one pf the tunes from the album the trio made called "Live at the Royal Festival Hall."

I would have to put my hands up and say this is the only John McLaughlin album I have in my possession having long had an aversion to his music. Since I bought this CD in 1990, I have seen him a couple of times in concert and have warmed to him more although the quick-fire technique can be exhausting. I can't say he is as impressive live as the likes of Pat Metheny, John Scofield, John Abercrombie, Bill Frisell or Lionel Loueke, all of whom seem more credible as jazz musicians and don't really have the associations with Fusion which I feel is a bit dull. The trio album is pretty good. I believe that John McLaughlin is on a farewell tour of the States at the moment.

Regarding Gurtu, he has something of a notorious reputation with my Dad. Around 1991 Oregon performed in the Theatre Royal Winchester and we went to see them. At that time, Gurtu had recently been recruited to replace Collin Walcott. When the musicians entered the stage, my Dad was shocked to find that Gurtu was not going to play a traditional kit and sat on a carpet on the floor to play his array of percussion instruments. Needless-to-say, my Dad absolutely hated the gig and it has always been a point of reference for him as a point of shear awfulness which is understandable if you think drummers should either be like Buddy Rich or Sam Woodyard ! I really enjoyed the gig and was pleased to be able to hear this truly original group that included another musical hero of mine, Ralph Towner. As much as I liked Gurtu, no one seems to quite have captured the spell-bounding magic of Nana Vasconcelos when it comes to percussionists adding a bit of exotica to proceedings. I don't think that the late Brazilian had the technique of Gurtu (which can be equally as exhausting as McLaughlin to listen to sometimes) yet I found you could never take your eyes off what he was doing whenever I saw him perform.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Well whatever happened to the Glen knocking, Ian?

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

‘Destination Out’
                  Jackie McLean with Grachan Moncur III, Bobby Hutcherson, Larry Ridley & Roy Haynes
                  Blue Note (1963)

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                    when it comes to percussionists adding a bit of exotica to proceedings
                    I would say that both Gurtu and Vasconcelos are seriously demeaned by that description.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

'Silver's Serenade'
                      Horace Silver with Blue Mitchell, Junior Cook, Gene Taylor & Roy Brooks
                      Blue Note (1963)

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

YouTube: Just discovered there a shed load of 1970 -90s British jazz sessions uploaded on there (BBC jazz club and similar). Some wonderful and unusual stuff with the names you might expect, but not necessarily together. The subscriber/person who posted them is "Shaldonia". Only the audio but a bit of a treasure trove.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                          YouTube: Just discovered there a shed load of 1970 -90s British jazz sessions uploaded on there (BBC jazz club and similar). Some wonderful and unusual stuff with the names you might expect, but not necessarily together. The subscriber/person who posted them is "Shaldonia". Only the audio but a bit of a treasure trove.

BN.
                          Thanks Bluesie, I'll check those out.

By coincidence I was just yesterday looking at some lists I made at the National Sound Archive of recorded broadcasts and interviews of interest to me, many of which were from radio broadcasts from the same period, and started documenting them for future reference.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

'Workout'
                            Hank Mobley with Grant Green, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones
                            Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• CGR
                              • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                              'Workout'
                              Hank Mobley with Grant Green, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones
                              Blue Note (1961)
                              Brilliant choice !!!!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

'Side by Side' & 'Back to Back'
                                Duke Ellington & Johnny Hodges with Harry ‘Sweets’ Ellison, Les Spann, Sam Jones, Al Hall & Jo Jones
                                Verve (1959)

Comment

Working...
                                X