• Padraig
    • Feb 2013

Fr
    Last edited by Padraig; 04-06-17, 17:08. Reason: duplication

Comment

• Padraig
      • Feb 2013

Louis Armstrong, Hot Fives and Sevens.

CD 3, Basin Street Blues, Louis Armstrong and his Orchestra 1928.

Louis, scat vocal ( and solos), Earl Hines, piano and celeste

Well known lyrics not yet written.

Classic Mood Experience The best masterpieces ever recorded in the music history.Join our Youtube: https://goo.gl/8AOGaNJoin our Facebook: http://goo.gl/5oL7...

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

‘Step Lightly’
        Blue Mitchell with Leo Wright, Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Gene Taylor & Roy Brooks
        Blue Note (1963)

For tonight!

Comment

• CGR
          • Aug 2016

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          No, but the 60s was a unique decade in its chart variety, Getz was there again with Astrud in Girl from Ipanema.
          Here is the Astrud Gilbto performing it live in 1991. And very sexy too !!! (Am I allowed to say that these days?)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by CGR View Post
            Here is the Astrud Gilbto performing it live in 1991. And very sexy too !!! (Am I allowed to say that these days?)

It's not political, so you probably are.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              It's not political, so you probably are.
              ...and she swapped Stan for a man with a 'bone!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                • Dec 2010

I have been blown away by the music on this album called "Synovial joints" all weekend and not listened to anything else.

The fusion between jazz and classical music can often be a disaster zone but I have recently come across a number of musicians as diverse as Wayne Shorter and Alan Ferber who have managed to do this. For my money, this example probably offers the most credible example, the compositional style coming about through Steve Coleman's improvisations. The result is almost Bach-like in it's complexity and despite the contemporary trappings, the music has an instant appeal.

I had rather lost sight of Steve Coleman even though he is a player I have been hugely impressed with in concert and someone whose playing with Dave Holland produced some of the best jazz of the 1980's. He seems like a contemporary take on George Russell insofar that he has his own musical vision.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

‘Fuchsia Swing Song’

Sam Rivers with Jaki Byard, Ron Carter & Tony Williams
                  Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                    I have been blown away by the music on this album called "Synovial joints" all weekend and not listened to anything else.

The fusion between jazz and classical music can often be a disaster zone but I have recently come across a number of musicians as diverse as Wayne Shorter and Alan Ferber who have managed to do this. For my money, this example probably offers the most credible example, the compositional style coming about through Steve Coleman's improvisations. The result is almost Bach-like in it's complexity and despite the contemporary trappings, the music has an instant appeal.

I had rather lost sight of Steve Coleman even though he is a player I have been hugely impressed with in concert and someone whose playing with Dave Holland produced some of the best jazz of the 1980's. He seems like a contemporary take on George Russell insofar that he has his own musical vision.
                    I'd agree with that. What some of the best of contemporary jazzers have understood is that there doesn't need to be any dichotomy between the music's modal/ethnic base and chromatic extensions therefrom - a lesson Bartok who also thought "naturally" in multiple rhythms learned for himself in another age and generic - whereas "my generation" never fully overcame that dualism, as was apparent the other week in Trevor Watts' and Veryan Weston's improvised sets at Cafe Oto on Jazz Now (which I had the luck to be at), couched as they uncompromisingly were in atonality - contrasted with Trevor's Moire Music, which I was instantly reminded of in the first 3 minutes of the above link - the difference being that Trevor's guiding instincts in the latter context would have segued between multiply juxtaposed rhythmic areas, adhering faithfully in his own improvised lines to firm modal root ostinato underpinnings culled from various ethnic musics, and probably quite consciously refraining from pushing his own envelope too far.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post

‘Fuchsia Swing Song’

Sam Rivers with Jaki Byard, Ron Carter & Tony Williams
                      Blue Note (1964)

Oh yes, one of my very favourite recordings of all time - never tire of this one!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Thanks for that Gongers! Reminded me of Loose Tubes in one of their unbuttoned Samba numbers.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Thanks for that Gongers! Reminded me of Loose Tubes in one of their unbuttoned Samba numbers.
                            Sid is an interesting musician and worth keeping an eye on IMV

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

I'll be playing this tonight

‘Open House’ & ‘Plain Talk’
                              Jimmy Smith with Blue Mitchell, Jackie McLean, Ike Quebec, Jimmy Smith, Quentin Warren & Donald Bailey
                              Blue Note (1960)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                                I'll be playing this tonight

‘Open House’ & ‘Plain Talk’
                                Jimmy Smith with Blue Mitchell, Jackie McLean, Ike Quebec, Jimmy Smith, Quentin Warren & Donald Bailey
                                Blue Note (1960)
                                First time I heard his name announced, I though it was I. Quebec. Them were the days when one would wrongly write up band names on reel-to-reel cases, based on radio announcements, such as Big Spider Beck!

Comment

Working...
                                X