Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elmo
    • Nov 2010

Andrew Hill, Sam Rivers, Walter Booker, J C Moses playing "Desire" from the Blue Note album 'Change' recorded 1966

An excellent quartet, wish they had recorded more together. J C Moses was a very fine drummer much admired by Max Roach

elmo

Comment

• burning dog
      • Dec 2010

Provided to YouTube by Rhino AtlanticEvidence · Art Blakey & Jazz Messengers · Thelonius MonkArt Blakey's Jazz Messengers With Thelonious Monk (Deluxe Editio...

A favourite version of Evidence

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

....Anthony Braxton/Jacqueeline Kerrod :Duo (Bologna) 2018....I'm listening on CD , but here's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl2dWHk6ez0&list=PLmkVlEREul4D3q1diNveu6jr 6nazrG9eY

bong ching

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

I have had Dave Holland's Another Land another spin this week. I was impressed by the track 'The Village which burns on a really slow fuse yet the trio of Dave Holland, Kevin Eubanks and obed Calvare are burning intensely by the end. Eubanks is imperious but hearing Holland's purring electric bass underpinning this track really reminded me of another DH collaboration with John Abercrombie. I thought the disc was good at the time . My opinion now is that this is a brilliant record.

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Bill Hardman(1933-90) with Junior Cook, Robin Eubanks, Mickey Tucker, Paul Brown & Leroy Williams playing Benny Golson’s ‘Whisper Not’ recorded in 1989 from the album ‘What’s Up’:

Sasa Top----------------------------------------------------------------------HARDMAN BILLWHAT'S UPSTEEPLECHASE -Although not very well known, Bill Hardman (...

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

Been digging out some old ECM discs including John Surman's .' Amazing adventures of Simon' which was a record that was instrumental in getting me to appreciate contemporary jazz around 1985. It is a record which has really stood up well. The opening track always staggered me as to how Jack DeJohnette's drumming was independent of the synth ostinato and Surman's sax but so in synch at the same time. There was a feature on JRR which asked for memorable sax ballads. I think Fide et Amore fits into that category.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Jack Dejohnette's birthday two days ago. He'd now 82.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                  • Dec 2010

The Jazz Crusaders, 1961 "The Young Rabbits" from the Pacific Jazz album "Looking Ahead". I know they get dismissed (sometimes) as rote hard bop, neo Blakey eyc in this period, but hey, there is some great stuff on these early albums, tunes, arrangements, solos and a young enthusiasm and conviction for what they were doing. They could really play.

This track I've had on a tape for years and could not pin down where it was from. I'm sure it was used as an opener for a French jazz program at one time. So good I've now bought the Anthology Pacific Jazz box set for a whole £6.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

yes, it is clean and fabulous....excuse my ignorance, but as modal made so many opportunities for the sax....this type of delivery gave endless op's for breaking [possibly via drums and bass]....just saying, thinking out loud....
                    bong ching

Comment

• elmo
                      • Nov 2010

'Status Seeking' from Mal Waldron's "The Quest album" with Eric Dolphy, Booker Ervin, Ron Carter Cello, Joe Benjamin, Charlie Persip rec 1961

Eric and Booker firing on all cylinders and I really like Ron's Cello solo though the critics - not so keen. Great album

elmo

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                        • Dec 2010

I find the Avis 2 cd collections an odd batch. The remastered quality can be poor but the Eric Dolphy double album is the best by a country mile. They offer an intersting snap shot of 50s and 60s jazz.....a lot of which was actually bang average.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

George Russell(piano, arranger) with Don Cherry(trumpet); Bertil Lovgren(trumpet); Brian Trentham(trombone); Ray Pitts(tenor sax); Cameron Brown(bass) & Al Heath(drums) playing ‘Freein’ Up’ at Beethoven Hall, Stuttgart on August 31, 1965:

"Freein' Up" is the opening track from a 1965 date by the George Russell Sextet in Stuttgart, Germany, called "At Beethoven Hall". Russell's, on piano, had t...

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                            • Dec 2010

I have been playing the Jimmy Heath records The Thumper and The Quota. Both discs display Heath's ability as a writer with the line ups all having 3 horns. The first disc is brilliant but with there's of Wynton Kelly, Curtis Fuller, etc on board it could not be anything less

I feel Heath was seriously undervalued as a soloist, his style couched between Rollins and early Coltrane. The bands are in the Hard Bop idiom although less prone to Blue Note style clichés. If you like, the writing is a text book example of how to deal with arranging for a 3 piece front line. I read a review of Jimmy Heath bring a weak soloist on the old Blue Note website in a review of an album by Fredsie Hubbard. This is nonsense and I feel that these two albums are maybe more sophisticated than alot of what Blue Note was churning out in 1959 and 60. I would thoroughly recommend these two albums. Tootie Heath is brilliant on drums too. They both have a formidable reputation amongst critics but are under the radar of most fans. Jimmy Heath is a saxophonist and writer i greatly admire.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                              I have been playing the Jimmy Heath records The Thumper and The Quota. Both discs display Heath's ability as a writer with the line ups all having 3 horns. The first disc is brilliant but with there's of Wynton Kelly, Curtis Fuller, etc on board it could not be anything less

I feel Heath was seriously undervalued as a soloist, his style couched between Rollins and early Coltrane. The bands are in the Hard Bop idiom although less prone to Blue Note style clichés. If you like, the writing is a text book example of how to deal with arranging for a 3 piece front line. I read a review of Jimmy Heath bring a weak soloist on the old Blue Note website in a review of an album by Fredsie Hubbard. This is nonsense and I feel that these two albums are maybe more sophisticated than alot of what Blue Note was churning out in 1959 and 60. I would thoroughly recommend these two albums. Tootie Heath is brilliant on drums too. They both have a formidable reputation amongst critics but are under the radar of most fans. Jimmy Heath is a saxophonist and writer i greatly admire.
                              I was delighted that AVID Records took up my suggestion of releasing a ‘Four Classic Albums’ on Jimmy Heath - The Thumper/Really Big!/The Quota/Triple Threat. It’s great!

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                                • Dec 2010

Really Big is fantastic too. Forgot I had that disc I cannot find stuff so easily these days as my partner has stored all her cosmetics and hand bags in my CD cupboard!

Comment

Working...
                                X