X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    I used to have this CD. Probably should buy it again soon.
    Let me guess: you loaned it out, and never got it back. That's been my own experience.

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Let me guess: you loaned it out, and never got it back. That's been my own experience.
      No, it was stolen. Burgled, to be precise.

Now spinning Coltrane by John Coltrane (1962).
      Last edited by Joseph K; 20-06-23, 13:13.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

No, it was stolen. Burgled, to be precise.

Very sorry to hear that, Joseph K, and with it presumably you lost other valuable items.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Very sorry to hear that, Joseph K, and with it presumably you lost other valuable items.
          Indeed - all of my favourite CDs in fact (I say 'favourite' because those were the ones I had in my flat, I still had a fair few at my mum's house) along with a TV, Hi-Fi and misc. other stuff (obviously it was losing the CDs that was the most upsetting). I did end up getting a few of the CDs back because I spotted them on sale at a local pawn shop, but only about a quarter, if that. And it was through that that I discovered the culprits, two people I'd known, only one of whom ended up being forced to pay me reparations.

Comment

• elmo
            • Nov 2010

Indeed - all of my favourite CDs in fact (I say 'favourite' because those were the ones I had in my flat, I still had a fair few at my mum's house) along with a TV, Hi-Fi and misc. other stuff (obviously it was losing the CDs that was the most upsetting). I did end up getting a few of the CDs back because I spotted them on sale at a local pawn shop, but only about a quarter, if that. And it was through that that I discovered the culprits, two people I'd known, only one of whom ended up being forced to pay me reparations.
            What utter gits......reminds me years ago pre cd's I used to know a guy, A supposed jazz fan he had a fanatical interest in those american college bands ala Stan Kenton. I was always going on to him to listen to the kind of stuff we talk about on this forum and made the tragic mistake of mailing him my treasured original copies of Elmo Hope's "Homecoming" and Herbie Nichols 'Bethlehem' album, remember there was no internet then so that was the only way he was going to hear this type of music. The turd repaid me by nicking them and probably flogged them for a tidy sum.

"La Berthe" from Homecoming

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Very sorry to hear that, JK. I know how devastated I'd be if any of my CDs/LPs were stolen. I've lent records in the past and always had a struggle to get them back.
              These days I make copies to send to anyone.

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                What utter gits......reminds me years ago pre cd's I used to know a guy, A supposed jazz fan he had a fanatical interest in those american college bands ala Stan Kenton. I was always going on to him to listen to the kind of stuff we talk about on this forum and made the tragic mistake of mailing him my treasured original copies of Elmo Hope's "Homecoming" and Herbie Nichols 'Bethlehem' album, remember there was no internet then so that was the only way he was going to hear this type of music. The turd repaid me by nicking them and probably flogged them for a tidy sum.

"La Berthe" from Homecoming

elmo

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                Very sorry to hear that, JK. I know how devastated I'd be if any of my CDs/LPs were stolen. I've lent records in the past and always had a struggle to get them back.
                These days I make copies to send to anyone.

JR
                Thank you, elmo and JR.

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

The Gordon Beck Quartet (with John McLaughlin, 1968) - 'Up, up and away'

Comment

• elmo
                    • Nov 2010

Bit of 'West Coast' Jazz today, I love the Birth of the cool album and the Lennie Niehaus Octet's 1954 album 'Zounds' has some nice arrangements influenced by BOC.

Two tracks because they are quite short - Patti Cake and Have you met Miss Jones

elmo

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

The latter half of this.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                        • Mar 2011

Bass trumpeter Cy Touff with Richie Kamuca, Pete Jolly, Leroy Vinnegar & Chuck Flores playing the title-track from the album 'Primitive Cats' recorded in L.A., 1955:

Primitive Cats (Touff - Kamuca)Cy Touff - Bass TrumpetRichie Kamuca - TenorPete Jolly - PianoLeroy Vinnegar - BassChuck Flores - Drums From the original Al...

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Shakti - This Moment

This was released on Friday on Bandcamp. I had preordered it a while ago and will receive the CD in a few weeks, but I've listened via streaming since Friday and have now downloaded it. It's great - like few albums, it repays close listening, but without making that a necessity, if that makes sense (Miles' In A Silent Way is a great example of this). Some tunes feature more harmonic movement than is normally the case in other Shakti/Remember Shakti albums, or Indian music in general. I told my grandmother and aunts that I was going to see Shakti on Tuesday and offered to play some of this, their recently released album, and they said yes. Alas, it was not their cup of tea, my grandmother saying she couldn't relax to this. I said I considered this fairly light compared with some of the other stuff I listen to!

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Another new release and purchase, Kurt Rosenwinkel - Undercover: Live At The Village Vanguard

Doesn't disappoint. I really like his tone, which has something of a reed instrument about it as well as being distorted which puts it in rock territory - tone-wise at least. Overall the atmosphere is dreamy and at times sublime - 'Solé' has both these qualities and the not very imaginatively titled but nice 'Music' has something of the Bill Evans about it.

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesSolé (Live) · Kurt Rosenwinkel · Aaron Parks · Eric Revis · Greg HutchinsonSolé℗ 2023 Heartcore RecordsReleased...

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

John Coltrane - Coltrane (1957)

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                                • Dec 2010

Another new release and purchase, Kurt Rosenwinkel - Undercover: Live At The Village Vanguard

Doesn't disappoint. I really like his tone, which has something of a reed instrument about it as well as being distorted which puts it in rock territory - tone-wise at least. Overall the atmosphere is dreamy and at times sublime - 'Solé' has both these qualities and the not very imaginatively titled but nice 'Music' has something of the Bill Evans about it.

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesSolé (Live) · Kurt Rosenwinkel · Aaron Parks · Eric Revis · Greg HutchinsonSolé℗ 2023 Heartcore RecordsReleased...

Joseph

There is a new release on Impulse of recently discovered material of John Coltrane's quintet plus Eric Dolphy recprded at the Village Vanguard in 1961 being released next month. It does include the umpteenth version of "My favourote things" plus "Impressions" which is a tune that always overstays it's welcome in my opinion. However, there is some unfamiliar material too includoing "Africa." I am starting to feel a bit cynical with just how much "undiscovered" Coltrane there is and whether some of the releases are exploiting the audience who seem increasingly jaded by the contemporary jazz scene. However, Dolphy is a musician I feel did not record enough in his short life so further material with him is worth a commercial release. I always felt that Dolphy was the most radical and extreme soloist Coltrane employed. The screaking of Pharoah Sanders does wear thin in my estimation whereas Dolphy's leaping intervals and bass playing struck me as being one of the few musicians who worked with Coltrane who had that genuine "shock of the new" about him. Dolphy puts me mind of a Charlie Parker record that has sat in the sun too long and become warped and stretched in to all sorts of permutations. Of that generation, I still find Dolphy more shocking than say Ornette or Ayler and the musical intelligence in his music still makes Dolphy seem modern today.

Comment

Working...
                                X