• Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

‘Candy’ – Lee Morgan
    with Sonny Clarke, Doug Watkins & Art Taylor
    Blue Note (1958)

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Lou Blackburn with Freddie Hill, Horace Tapscott, John Duke & Leroy Henderson playing '17 Richmond Park' in 1963:

from "The Complete Imperial Sessions" (2006), Blue Note.Recorded on January 25, 1963 at United Recorders, Los Angeles, CA.Origianlly issued as "Jazz Frontier...

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

I have been listening to CDs of and trying to sight read some of the compositions by the likes of Syzmanowksi and Villa-Lobos as this musicincreasingly fascinates me. I bougght the former's Opus 1 Preludes which look like the only things he composed that I would have a hope of playing as the music on Martin Roscoe's 4 CDs of his piano music sounds impossible for anyone who just plays for amusement. Syzmanowski is an interesting composer and I feel undeservedy negelected. In some ways he followed a similar path to Scriabin in the way he dealt with harmony although I think he is not so accessible.

Villa-Lobas is someone I was aware off and but had never explored his piano music. I am unsure what to make of him and I am sure that there would be alot of people on the Classical board who would take a very sniffy attitude towards his piano music. About 20% of the 1000 compositions he produced were for the piano although he was essential a cellist and did not take up the piano until he was married when he took lessons from his wife and received encouragement from Rachmaninoff. I bought the Prelude from the fourth Bachianas and was shocked how simple and easy it was to play albeit it certainly has it's own gravitas that attracted me to it in the first place. As a consequence, I have ordered some more of his pieces to see what they are about. The CDs I have of his work for piano are really good fun and show a degree of disrespect for normal conventions. The music is a world away from the more "serious" European composers who were his contemporaries and often form suites of small compsitions. The rhythms he uses are the most fascinating aspect and they have the kind of playfulness about them that you would associate with someone like Poulenc although there is a roughness about them which renders much of the music more idiosyncratic. This music is the polar opposite of say 2nd Viennese School. I have to say that I really like Villa Lobos' piano music and am surprised that he is never named checked as an influence on jazz. Listening to his music makes you understand where musicians as diverse as Egberto Gismonti and Hermeto Pascoal come from and, by extension, the indirect influence on a band like Loose Tubes.

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Grachan Moncur III with Bobby Hutcherson, Cecil McBee & Beaver Harris playing 'Blue Free', live at the Village Gate, 1965:

From the album The new wave in jazz, 1965Grachan Moncur III - trombone Bobby Hutcherson - vibraphoneCecil McBee - bassBeaver Harris - drums

JR

Comment

• elmo
            • Nov 2010

Roland Kirk with Andrew Hill, Henry Duncan and Clifford Jarvis playing nice version of J J Johnson's 'Lament' in 1962

This track was prompted by the cd release of the complete Rahsaan Roland Kirk 'Newport Jazz festival 1962' on the top note label. Awaiting my copy

elmo
            Last edited by elmo; 07-05-23, 23:19.

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

‘Roll Call’ - Hank Mobley
              with Freddie Hubbard, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers & Art Blakey
              Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Hank Crawford, "You've Changed" Atlantic 1963, with pretty much the Ray Charles septet/small band, I really can't get enough of this stuff, as Crawford said pretty much influenced by James Moody's band and arrangements (early Quincy Jones)...

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                  ‘Roll Call’ - Hank Mobley
                  with Freddie Hubbard, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers & Art Blakey
                  Blue Note (1961)
                  I find Hank Mobley to be really erratic and this album has always struck me as being a good example of how be could sound when not interested. The front line is dominated by a young Freddie Hubbard but Wyton Kelly is always worth listening to as well - although on this record he was battling against an out of tune piano. "Roll call" always seems to me like one of the few occasions when the production slipped. Some of Mobley's themes seems a bit shoddy or even "borrowed" from more familiar compositions like the Peggy Lee number "Fever." As a rule, the main issue with Blue Note quality control was that they often had surplus material which was not issued despite the obvous quality. Something like "Room for squares" is a really good example of a Mobley session which deserved an earlier release. "Roll call", by contrast, always strikes me as one where they took their eye of the ball.

I have been working at home this afternoon and listening to Kate McGarry's excellent "What to wear in the dark" which covers a wide base of popular music. I have a couple of her records and am surprised that her name ever really comes up in discussions about jazz singers. I think her voice is an exceptional musical instrument but the icing on the cake. Plenty of interest in her music and I think her music is thought provoking enough to piques the interest of most jazz fans. I believe her hisband, guitarist, Keith Ganz, writes the charts.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                    Roland Kirk with Andrew Hill, Henry Duncan and Clifford Jarvis playing nice version of J J Johnson's 'Lament' in 1962

This track was prompted by the cd release of the complete Rahsaan Roland Kirk 'Newport Jazz festival 1962' on the top note label. Awaiting my copy

elmo
                    Enjoyed that, elmo.
                    Here's 'A Stritch In Time' at Newport, 1962 with Andrew Hill, Vernon Martin & Clifford Jarvis from 'The Complete Mercury Recordings'. Presumably this track is on the Top Note CD?

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupA Stritch In Time (Live At The Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, RI / 1962) · Roland Kirk QuartetRahsaan: The Compl...

JR

Comment

• elmo
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                      Enjoyed that, elmo.
                      Here's 'A Stritch In Time' at Newport, 1962 with Andrew Hill, Vernon Martin & Clifford Jarvis from 'The Complete Mercury Recordings'. Presumably this track is on the Top Note CD?

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupA Stritch In Time (Live At The Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, RI / 1962) · Roland Kirk QuartetRahsaan: The Compl...

JR
                      JR Thanks for that, good to have the early Andrew Hill as well.

The tracks on this new album as follows -

Three for the festival
                      Nice & easy
                      Domino
                      Fat man please get thin?
                      The confessions of a madman
                      Three in one without the oil
                      Untitled blues (this is probably ('Stritch in time')

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                        JR Thanks for that, good to have the early Andrew Hill as well.

The tracks on this new album as follows -

Three for the festival
                        Nice & easy
                        Domino
                        Fat man please get thin?
                        The confessions of a madman
                        Three in one without the oil
                        Untitled blues (this is probably ('Stritch in time')

elmo
                        Thanks, elmo - will have to order this one!

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

Horace Parlan with Booker Ervin, Johnny Coles, Butch Warren & Billy Higgins playing Randy Weston's 'Kucheza Blues' in 1963:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                            • Dec 2010

DOMi and JD Beck's Tiny Desk Concert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANPbOxaRIO0
                            Last edited by Tenor Freak; 13-05-23, 11:53. Reason: why would I want to do that?
                            all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Charles Mingus with Booker Ervin, John Handy. Richard Wyands and Dannie Richmond playing 'No Private Income Blues', live at the Nonagon Art Gallery, New York in January, 1959:

The best hard bop tune ever. Recorded in 1959.John Handy - alto saxBooker Ervin - tenor sax Richard Wyands - piano Charles Mingus - bassDanny Richmond - drum...

JR

Comment

• Gargoyle
                                • Dec 2022

miles davis - kind of blue

Comment

Working...
                                X