X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Disk 7 of John Coltrane - European Tour 1962, comprising a couple of tunes from Copenhagen - 'Traneing In' and 'Impressions', the remaining tunes from Graz - 'Bye-Bye Blackbird', 'The Inchworm' and 'Autumn Leaves'.

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      He was on Elmo Hope's "Sounds from Riker's Island", a kind of homage to musicians dealing with addiction. Full of fire as per "Night in Tunisia" here...http://youtu.be/XQL6SLhW9fc

He was (excellently) on The Artistry of Freddie Hubbard (Impulse) a great record with a Messengers feel. He's also on Andrew Hill's Compulsion (Bluenote), Hill's percussion album. The album he made with Paul Bley, Turning Point, never really did it for me.

I think he said somewhere that Sun Ra was a prison that you only escaped from sometimes... probably tongue in cheek!

Andrew Hill's "Compulsion"...with Gilmore and Freddie Hubbard..http://youtu.be/4xCobq5eNUQ
      Gilmore also recorded with Dizzy Reece on a hard-to-find album 'From In To Out'(Future) recorded in Paris, 1970:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• elmo
        • Nov 2010

Fine Gilmore solos on this McCoy Tyner album ' Today and Tomorrow' from 1963

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Gilmore with Pete LaRoca, Chick Corea & Walter Booker from the 1967 album 'Turkish Women at The Bath':

"Dancing Girls", included on the album "Turkish Women At The Bath" by Pete LaRoca SimsJohn Gilmore (ts), Chick Corea (p), Walter Booker (b), Pete LaRoca Sims...

JR

Comment

• JasonPalmer
            • Dec 2022

Listening to last weeks jazz record requests, have been away and busy, been missing my regular jazz "hit" ....
            Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• JasonPalmer
              • Dec 2022

Enjoyed latest jrr, now enjoying j to z latest episode from last week.
              Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                • Dec 2010

I thought I should flag up the CD that is currently getting a lot of play in my car this week as it is something which might interest Joseph. Guitarist Dave Stryker is someone who has had a long pedigree and who is also a favourite of the reviewers on the "All about jazz" website. His latest album "As we are" features a core quartet of pianist Julian shore, bassist John Patitucci and drummer Brian Blade that comes across as good as your would exepct. The point of interest for this record is that the quartet is itself augmented by a string quartet.

I have to admit that jazz plus strings format is something where the stakes have risen considerably in the last 10 years with the writing for strings no longer being something that just provides a harmonic background in order to make a record sound more "romantic. " For me, the first album which really made me take notice of this was Alan Ferber's "Chamber songs" and the Stryker disc has some of the same qualities. The jazz quartet is exceptional and the pianist Julian Shore is something of a revelation to me, both as a soloist and arranger. Like the Ferber disc, the opening track is a "string overture" and is atypical of the rest of the music. I have to admit that the review I read gave me a different impression of this record. It is one of those discs which really grow on you and you need to give it alot of attention otherwise it could seem like background music. The next track "Lanes" sets the tone with the more uptempo numbers almost being an update on the music from Stan Getz' "Focus." However, I have say that it is the slower, more thoughtful pieces which really hit the mark with the track "Dreams are real" being where this music achieves it's potential. Whilst there are a few bits of "free" playing by the string quartet and the violinist plays in a style that reminded me of Mark Feldman, this record comes across as a musical project where all 8 musicians were fully engaged. The more you listen to the slower pieces in particular, the more you realise just how good this music is. All the musicians invest in the recording and the collection of largely originals comes across as wholly succesful in blending strings in to a more orthodox jazz tradition. This is a really good disc.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                  • Dec 2010

Art Tatum, "Willow weep for me" 1953. Just realised that in the Ray Charles 1959 small band version from "Presenting David Fathead Newman" , Ray plays the intro as a take on this. Ray being a huge fan.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                    • Dec 2010

Yesterday's J to Z, the Wayne Shorter memorial special.
                    all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• elmo
                      • Nov 2010

Bird's sublime 1953 version of "Now's The Time" a blues masterpiece.

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
                        • Mar 2011

Sonny Rollins with Ray Bryant, Walter Booker & Mickey Roker playing 'Everything Happens To Me' from the 1965 album 'Sonny Rollins On Impulse!':

Sonny Rollins (ts), Ray Bryant (p), Walter Booker (b), Mickey Roker (ds)Album:" Sonny Rollins / On Impulse! "Recorded:New York City, July 8, 1965

JR

Comment

• elmo
                          • Nov 2010

J R Monterose and Tommy Flanagan playing Trane's "Central Park West" from the album 'A Little Pleasure'

elmo

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

‘A Fickle Sonance’ - Jackie McLean
                            with Tommy Turrentine, Sonny Clark, Butch Warren & Billy Higgins
                            Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• elmo
                              • Nov 2010

The Coltrane Quintet Feb 1962 recorded at Birdland playing "Mr PC"

Amazing playing from all especially Trane and Dolphy - Trane's 2nd solo at the end of the track is something else....

elmo

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                                • Dec 2010

I have been playing the 3-CD box set "a study in Frutsration" which chronicles the develpment of Fletcher Henderson's band from the mid twenties through to the late thirties. The really early stuff prior to the arrival of Armstrong is only limited to a handful of tracks and the focus is more on the recordings from the early thirties which i think are superb. It is a fascinating evolution from music which initially comes across as initially quite comic through the classic jazz of the 1920s marked by the appearance of Armstrong and on to the sound that is now typically associated with the big band jazz of the Swing Era. I find the roster of soloists to be quite incredible, in addition to the familiar names like Coleman Hawkins, Red Allen, Roy Eldridge , Chi Berry, BennyCarter (who also wrote many of the arrangements) and Buster Bailey - probably Goodman's most serious rival as a technically accomplished jazz soloist. I have been really taken by the tuba playing of John Kirby, a musician more celebrated as a string bassist and the pace and drive of some of the arrangements must have been exremely exhausting from a physical perspective. There is a stereotype of bass lines played on a tuba being plodding and that the use of a string bass really revolutionised jazz. However, in Kirby's hands, this is clearly not the case and I am wondering if he might be considered one of the masters of this instrument along with the likes of Bob Stewart and Howard Johnson. When you listen on headphones, Kirby's playing really grabs your attention and you can sesne just how important he was to this band. I was familiar with him as one of the great bassists of the 1930s both with Chick Webb and his own sextet and just feel he was equally as good on the more demanding tuba. The drummers Kaiser Marshall and Walter Johnson also deserve some praise.

Comment

Working...
                                X