Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JasonPalmer
    • Dec 2022

Listening again to that cd I mentioned from my jazz selection of 4 cds of jazz, hope to listen to j to z online sometime soon, spent too much of today watching putin vs the west when I could have been listening to jazzzzzz
    Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Randy Weston Quintet with Coleman Hawkins, Kenny Dorham, Wilbur Little & Roy Haynes playing 'Hi-Fly' live at the Five Spot, 1959:

Randy Weston Quintet at the Five Spot - Hi-Fly (1959)Personnel: Kenny Dorham (trumpet), Coleman Hawkins (tenor sax), Randy Weston (piano), Wilbur Little (bas...

JR

Comment

• JasonPalmer
        • Dec 2022

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
        Randy Weston Quintet with Coleman Hawkins, Kenny Dorham, Wilbur Little & Roy Haynes playing 'Hi-Fly' live at the Five Spot, 1959:

Randy Weston Quintet at the Five Spot - Hi-Fly (1959)Personnel: Kenny Dorham (trumpet), Coleman Hawkins (tenor sax), Randy Weston (piano), Wilbur Little (bas...

JR
        Thanks for posting that, enjoyed listening to it.

Comment

• elmo
          • Nov 2010

JR
          Yes a wonderful track by all concerned especially Kenny Dorham's lyrical solo.

Here is a favourite Weston track with a soulful and dramatic solo by Booker Ervin - 'Portrait of Vivian' from "African Cookbook"

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by elmo View Post
            Yes a wonderful track by all concerned especially Kenny Dorham's lyrical solo.

Here is a favourite Weston track with a soulful and dramatic solo by Booker Ervin - 'Portrait of Vivian' from "African Cookbook"

elmo
            Thanks, elmo - an intensely moving tenor solo from Booker Ervin.
            There's a 10-minute version of 'Portrait of Vivian' with Booker on Randy Weston's 'Monterey '66' album:

Recorded live at the Monterey Jazz Festival, 1966. This recording is out of print. Randy Weston: piano; Ray Copeland: trumpet; Booker Ervin: tenor saxophone;...

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Ant Law - Zero Sum World

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, Gigi Gryce, Ray Copeland, Wilbur Ware & Art Blakey playing 'Well You Needn't' in 1957.
                Monk shouts "Coltrane, Coltrane" at 2:22:

taken from the Album / tratto dall’album “Monk / Trane ” B12 x Vinyl, LP, Compilation, US - 1973Milestone Records — M - 47011720p00:00 - - - B1 — Well, You N...

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

'Bluesy Burrell' – Kenny Burrell with Coleman Hawkins
                  & Tommy Flanagan, Major Holley, Eddie Locke & Ray Barretto
                  Moodsville (1962)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, Gigi Gryce, Ray Copeland, Wilbur Ware & Art Blakey playing 'Well You Needn't' in 1957.
                    Monk shouts "Coltrane, Coltrane" at 2:22:

taken from the Album / tratto dall’album “Monk / Trane ” B12 x Vinyl, LP, Compilation, US - 1973Milestone Records — M - 47011720p00:00 - - - B1 — Well, You N...

JR
                    The second track on an album depicting Monk sat on a children's cart on the front, and the one which clinched Monk as the most exciting personality for the 16-year old me. I'm sure the title was chosen for its following directly after the opener, a straight rendition of "Abide With Me". I think it was the first Coltrane I heard too. Mustn't forget to mention the remarkable hi fidelity maintained throughout the LP for its date.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                      • Dec 2022

Comment

• ChandlersFord
                        • Dec 2021

Found a double CD of John Dankworth Orchestra albums from the early seventies in a charity shop - Lifeline and...I forget the other one’s name.

It includes the theme from Tomorrow’s World, which I’d forgotten JD composed.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          The second track on an album depicting Monk sat on a children's cart on the front, and the one which clinched Monk as the most exciting personality for the 16-year old me. I'm sure the title was chosen for its following directly after the opener, a straight rendition of "Abide With Me". I think it was the first Coltrane I heard too. Mustn't forget to mention the remarkable hi fidelity maintained throughout the LP for its date.
                          The first Monk album I heard was 'Monk's Dream'(Columbia) back in 1963 along with Coltrane's 'Live at Birdland'(Impulse!).
                          The wonderful 'Monk's Music' with Coltrane came quite a bit later.
                          Here's 'Bye-Ya' from 'Monk's Dream':

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

'Destination... Out!' – Jackie McLean
                            with Grachan Moncur II, Bobby Hutcherson, Larry Ridley & Roy Haynes
                            Blue Note (1963)

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                              • Dec 2010

The first Monk album I bought (second hand) was "Monk plays Ellington" when I was 15 or 16 (1960). I still think its wonderful even though it was a Riverside "ease into Monk" project. The cover, at least on mine, is Henri Rousseau's "Repas d' Lion", which has its own charm. Rousseau painted "Africa" via the Paris botanical gardens!

Comment

• elmo
                                • Nov 2010

The first Monk album I heard was 'Monk's Dream'(Columbia) back in 1963 along with Coltrane's 'Live at Birdland'(Impulse!).
                                The wonderful 'Monk's Music' with Coltrane came quite a bit later.
                                Here's 'Bye-Ya' from 'Monk's Dream':

JR
                                I have been playing the Monk box set "Complete 1971 Black Lion Sessions" Monk, Al McKibbon and Blakey. Wonderful stuff - Brian Priestley's perceptive sleeve sums the session up, "As for Thelonious himself, he defies any simplistic summing up, and if you want proof that he was still at the height of his powers in 1971 , you could do no better than investigate these albums. Hear Hear Brian, here is 'Hackensack'

elmo

Comment

Working...
                                X