X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    John Coltrane 'Transition' from Transition.

I love the theme and the whole thing is incredible, so intense; a great deal of turmoil and struggle but by the end one feels spiritually replenished. I love it when Trane breaks out into spirals of sextuplets, it's really colourful. Like any great music it is tricky to try to express the feelings and thoughts it evokes, but here (as in much music I love) there is a tendency towards the mystical and philosophical - it seems to transcend any rationality or logic that language is bound by.

I reckon my favourite Trane years are 1965 and 1967.
    Yes I'd go with that.

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

‘Blue & Sentimental’ - Ike Quebec
      with Grant Green, Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones
      + Sam Jones, Louis Hayes, Sonny Clark (track 8 only: ‘Count Every Star’)
      Blue Note (1961, released 1963)

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Alan Skidmore with Jason Rebello, Dave Green & Stephen Keogh playing Coltrane's 'Lonnie's Lament' in 1988:

Provided to YouTube by IIP-DDSLonnie's Lament · Alan Skidmore QuartetTribute to 'trane℗ Miles MusicReleased on: 2016-12-29Music Publisher: Copyright Control...

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

‘Steppin' Out!’ – Harold Vick
          with Blue Mitchell, John Patton, Grant Green & Ben Dixon
          Blue Note (1963)

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

"SEPTEMBER 9, 2022

Blue Note Records has announced a November 18 release for Revival: Live at Pookie’s Pub, a thrilling previously unissued live recording of Elvin Jones’ quartet that captures the legendary drummer’s emergence as a bandleader at a little-known club in New York City where he had a weekly residency after leaving John Coltrane’s band in 1966. Featuring Joe Farrell on tenor saxophone, Billy Greene on piano, and Wilbur Little on bass, Revival was recorded between July 28-30, 1967, just two weeks after Coltrane died on July 17. The album finds the band stretching out on expansive versions of standards and bandmember originals like Jones’ present to his wife “Keiko’s Birthday March” which is available to stream or download today.

Revival: Live at Pookie’s Pub will be released in deluxe 180g 3-LP and 2-CD sets which include an extensive booklet with stunning photos by Francis Wolff, Ozier Muhammad, Christian Rose, and others; essays by GRAMMY-winning author and co-producer Ashley Kahn, co-producer Zev Feldman, executive producer Don Was, and the original recording engineer Bob Falesch; interviews and statements by drummers Alvin Queen and Michael Shrieve, pianist Richie Beirach, and Elvin Jones band alumni Pat LaBarbera, Gene Perla, and Dave Liebman."

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

There is even more Coltrane being released for the first time inckuding the 1961 Newport Concert albeit the audio is supposed to be very poor. It amazes me what there is that is available for release these days which had previously remained undiscovered. I saw a review for a Mosaic box set of records from a label called Black & white which I never heard of before. The music in question covers the early to late forties and captures the time when swing was making a transition to Bop. I love this period of jazz. It seems tempting but so does the Savory boxset which captures the jazz scene of about 4 years beforehand with loads of Basie / Lester Young. I believe that the Black & White set largely consists of music not available for 80 years and much of that was realitvely obscure due to the low number of pressings made during WWII. I would imagine that it is somethig that Elmo would appreciate.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

‘Some Other Stuff’ – Grachan Moncur III
                with Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Cecil McBee & Tony Williams
                Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                  The music in question covers the early to late forties and captures the time when swing was making a transition to Bop. I love this period of jazz.
                  I would apply appreciating transitional phases in musical development to any period or genre of music, or arts in general for that matter, in my own case. One is listening out for potentials, possibly wondering how things might have further evolved had this or that particular individual not been on the scene. How would classical modernism have developed without Debussy, Stravinsky, or especially Schoenberg? Or painting without Césanne or Kandinsky? Jazz without Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker? How intrinsic to the future were people such as Duke Ellington or Ornette Coleman? Or were such new developments "necessary" - expressions of epochs? We could even start a discussion on this!

Comment

• elmo
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                    "SEPTEMBER 9, 2022

Blue Note Records has announced a November 18 release for Revival: Live at Pookie’s Pub, a thrilling previously unissued live recording of Elvin Jones’ quartet that captures the legendary drummer’s emergence as a bandleader at a little-known club in New York City where he had a weekly residency after leaving John Coltrane’s band in 1966. Featuring Joe Farrell on tenor saxophone, Billy Greene on piano, and Wilbur Little on bass, Revival was recorded between July 28-30, 1967, just two weeks after Coltrane died on July 17. The album finds the band stretching out on expansive versions of standards and bandmember originals like Jones’ present to his wife “Keiko’s Birthday March” which is available to stream or download today.

Revival: Live at Pookie’s Pub will be released in deluxe 180g 3-LP and 2-CD sets which include an extensive booklet with stunning photos by Francis Wolff, Ozier Muhammad, Christian Rose, and others; essays by GRAMMY-winning author and co-producer Ashley Kahn, co-producer Zev Feldman, executive producer Don Was, and the original recording engineer Bob Falesch; interviews and statements by drummers Alvin Queen and Michael Shrieve, pianist Richie Beirach, and Elvin Jones band alumni Pat LaBarbera, Gene Perla, and Dave Liebman."
                    http://youtu.be/gb5i5oeQSnM
                    Bluesie - Thanks for highlighting this, that track is great and apparently Larry Young is on 'Gingerbread boy' - Just gotta have it, preordered the cd.

elmo

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                      Bluesie - Thanks for highlighting this, that track is great and apparently Larry Young is on 'Gingerbread boy' - Just gotta have it, preordered the cd.

elmo
                      Joe Farrell seems in top form. I used to really like the first trio records with him & Elvin.

Comment

• elmo
                        • Nov 2010

Enjoying those timeless 1957 Monk sessions with Trane, Bean, Gigi Gryce, Wilbur Ware, Blakey and the forgotten Ray Copeland. I'd forgotten how good these sessions were, everyone at the top of their game. Wilbur Ware was such a distinctive bassist and with Monk and Blakey it was a dream team. Ray Copeland was an underrated trumpeter who never had an album under his own name, here is 'Well you needn't'.

Ray Copeland's fine solo on 'Niger Mambo' from Randy Weston's Highlife album

elmo

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                          • Nov 2010

....that's great....I'm going to buy that tomorrow....
                          bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                            Enjoying those timeless 1957 Monk sessions with Trane, Bean, Gigi Gryce, Wilbur Ware, Blakey and the forgotten Ray Copeland. I'd forgotten how good these sessions were, everyone at the top of their game. Wilbur Ware was such a distinctive bassist and with Monk and Blakey it was a dream team. Ray Copeland was an underrated trumpeter who never had an album under his own name, here is 'Well you needn't'.

Ray Copeland's fine solo on 'Niger Mambo' from Randy Weston's Highlife album

elmo
                            The recording quality was astonishingly high for the time, and still sounds as good as it can be, for me at any rate.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                              Joe Farrell seems in top form. I used to really like the first trio records with him & Elvin.
                              Here's the Elvin Jones Trio with Joe Farrell & Jimmy Garrison playing 'Yesterdays' from the great 1968 BLUE NOTE album 'The Ultimate':

Elvin Jones - The UltimateElvin Jones dJimmy Garrison bJoe Farrell ts ss flRecorded September 6, 1968.

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

‘Undercurrent’ – Kenny Drew
                                with Hank Mobley, Freddie Hubbard, Sam Jones & Louis Hayes
                                Blue Note (1960)

Comment

Working...
                                X