X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
    Jackie McLean 'Lights out' with Donald Byrd, Elmo Hope, Doug Watkins and Art Taylor from the album 'Lights Out' 1956

I haven't played this album for ages and had forgotten how good it is, superb early Jackie and Elmo at his idiosyncratic best. Such a great pairing Doug Watkins and Art Taylor, not so obvious on this track but they really drive the band on the faster tracks. Donald Byrd in fine form also

Jackie and Elmo - Right up your street Bluesie......!

elmo

Elmo

I really enjoyed that track.

I have been listening to "Tarbaby", the trio of Orrin Evans, Eric Revis and Nasheet Waits with Oliver Lake guesting on alto. The opening track is "Blessed ones the EternalTruth" which is sung by Evans and which sets the overall impression of more mainstream styles flirting with the avant garde. I find the juxtaposition of styles prevent this disc from being too comfortable . Lake is over-looked these days and plays with a tone which recalls Ornette . The trumpeter Josh Lawrence is a new name to me.

I am finding myself compelled to listen to Orrin Evans' music. He seems to stride across the avant garde and contemporary styles with the consequence that the music always has an element of bite about it. Unsettling is the wrong word but you certainly cannot describe his music as being comfortable. Much to enjoy on this disc which would probably be most in keeping with Jazzrook's tastes albeit there is enough in here to keep Elmo onside too.

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

‘The Honeydripper’ – Brother Jack McDuff
      with Jimmy Forrest, Grant Green, Ben Dixon
      Prestige (1961)

I love this!

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

‘Heavy Soul’ – Ike Quebec
        with Freddie Roach, Milt Hinton, Al Harewood
        Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

I have been working my way through a pile of Clean Feed CDs having exploited their summer sale where muh of the back catalogue is going for about £4 a pop. Last week I was listening to Tony Malaby perform some pretty outside music with Slovenian guitarist Samo Salomon. I had the impression that Salomon, who studied with Scofield, was pretty mainstream but I have subsequently found that he tends to operate more towards more outside projects that are closer to Improv. The trio disc was something which yielded more with successive listening but saxophonist Malaby is a revolation. I am now listening to him with Mario Pavone's "Vertical" sextet hwich also features another Clean Feed regular, trumpeter Dave Ballou. I like the lack of a harmony instrument in jazz and the 4 horns make this a good album albeit I will need to give it a closer listen before judging whether it is as good as the two postumus Pavone albums from last year. Pavone strikes me as someone who had a more measured and considered approach to post-bop and I feel deserved a much bigger profile. The music does not leap out at you and I suppose you could call it cerebral . It is a bit like what ECM might have released in the ECMs albeit lacking the austere quality of the music.

Picking up on Joseph's comment about Chopin, the Daniel Bernades trio augemented with quartet of mallet - waving percussionists offers a tribute to Oliver Messiaen on "Litugrgy of the Birds." The premise was really interesting and I suppose Bernades is typical of so many European pianists who are coming into jazz from a classical background. The music is surprisingly mainstream and accessible and deserves plaudits for using a percussion quartet to flesh out a piano trio. Rather than using Messaien's music, the group employs his musical langauge to cross over in to jazz. Not really aware of any musicians from Portugal but the evidence on Clean Feed is suggestive that the owners of the label are quite right to support

The other Clean Feed disc I have been enjoying is the latest Tarbaby album which consists of Orrin Evans, Nasheet Waits and Eric Revis. The principle guest soloist is Oliver Lake and the music seems to bridge the gab between contemporary mainstream rather like Branford Marsalis and a more bracing style of avant garde jazz. I love the time / no changes approach but this music is more squarely within a jazz tradition. The groups really pushes things including a belting "Dance of the evil toys" which has trumpeter Josh Lawrence keeping his calm with all the maelstrom of the rhythm section behind him.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

This is quite interesting too. A mixture of Classical and jazz albeit I am not sure qite how much improvisation is going on here....

Comment

• elmo
                • Nov 2010

Henry Red Allen with Pee wee Russell, Fats Waller, Tommy Dorsey, Happy Caldwell, Pops Foster 'Who stole the lock'

Listening to lots of Henry Red lately and this track makes me think of Steve Lacy's comment regarding when everything comes together the band 'lifts the bandstand' in pure exhilaration. this track I think proves it.

What would be your suggestions (all era's of jazz) of bandstand lifting?

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                  Henry Red Allen with Pee wee Russell, Fats Waller, Tommy Dorsey, Happy Caldwell, Pops Foster 'Who stole the lock'

Listening to lots of Henry Red lately and this track makes me think of Steve Lacy's comment regarding when everything comes together the band 'lifts the bandstand' in pure exhilaration. this track I think proves it.

What would be your suggestions (all era's of jazz) of bandstand lifting?

elmo
                  A recent discovery for me was Henry "Red" Allen's 1957 album 'World On A String' with Coleman Hawkins, J.J. Higginbotham, Buster Bailey, Marty Napoleon, Everett Barksdale, Lloyd Trotman & Cozy Cole.
                  Here's 'I Cover The Waterfront':

Provided to YouTube by RCA BluebirdI Cover the Waterfront (1991 Remastered) · Henry "Red" AllenWorld On A String℗ Originally Recorded 1957. All rights reserv...

JR

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

This evening:

Delighted to present 'Eddie Prévost at 80 — marking a journey to a bright nowhere', a series of concerts marking the 80th birthday of one of the UK's foremost improvising musicians. Whether through his pioneering work with AMM, his long-running London …

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

I heard this on French radio this morning (France Musique -Jazz), and it's a wonderful performance - a forgotten performance?

Buck Clayton in Paris 1953, excellent little French band, I'm not sure who the alto is, Guy Lafitte? Only tenor listed,

Anyway Buck Clayton - "Buck's Bon Voyage" 1953

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

‘Heavy!!!’ – Booker Ervin Sextet
                        Booker Ervin with Jimmy Owens, Garnett Brown Jaki Byard, Richard Davis, Alan Dawson
                        Blue Note (1966)

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Miles Davis: 'Pharaoh's Dance'

[Interval: practice guitar for half an hour]

Miles Davis: 'Bitches Brew' (currently)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                            Miles Davis: 'Pharaoh's Dance'

[Interval: practice guitar for half an hour]

Miles Davis: 'Bitches Brew' (currently)
                            Often I find that if I hear something really good (like that) I just want to get to the piano immediately after.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Charlie Rouse with Billy Gardner, Peck Morrison & Dave Bailey playing 'Lil Rousin'' from the 1960 album 'Yeah!':

Lil Rousin' from the 1960 Charlie Rouse album Yeah!Charlie Rouse's career is marked by his long collaboration with Thelonious Monk, one of the greatest jazz ...

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

On this day in 1965:

Comment

Working...
                                X