Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
      Great news, BN.
      Here's Tubby with little-known Dublin-born guitarist Louis Stewart, Ken Baldock & Spike Wells playing Jimmy Heath's 'Gingerbread Boy' from 'Live at the Hopbine 1968':

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesGingerbread Boy (Live) · Tubby Hayes · Tubby Hayes QuartetThe Syndicate - Live at the Hopbine 1968℗ 2015 Gearbo...

JR
      I'd like to put in a good word for Kenny Baldock, who does not often get mentioned but was one of the best bass players on the home scene, up there with Ron Matthewson in my view. I can't believe it's 11 years since he departed this earth - it seems like yesterday.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
        ������ I was talking with someone recently who said she used to dance to Tubby Hayes at his Flamingo gigs, very early 1960s. Dancing to Tubby Hayes, now there's a long gone golden age!
        Dancing to bebop was considered bad form back in the day as it was thought to detract from the listening experience - I can even remember disapproval when it really started up here in the early 1980s with the Jiving Lindy Hoppers demonstrating how it could be done. Was Tubby tailoring the kind of jazz to the soul-influenced stuff Georgie Fame was attracting Flamingo audiences to the dance floor with, I wonder? I only went there twice (it was more affordable than Ronnie's) and saw the Georgie Fame Flames and Graham Bond Organisation, but on neither occasion do I remember that many people actually dancing, though the atmosphere was much more uproarious than one would find at any jazz club today, and people would move rhythmically to the music, facing the stage - not really dancing - and of course hand clap.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Dancing to bebop was considered bad form back in the day as it was thought to detract from the listening experience - I can even remember disapproval when it really started up here in the early 1980s with the Jiving Lindy Hoppers demonstrating how it could be done. Was Tubby tailoring the kind of jazz to the soul-influenced stuff Georgie Fame was attracting Flamingo audiences to the dance floor with, I wonder? I only went there twice (it was more affordable than Ronnie's) and saw the Georgie Fame Flames and Graham Bond Organisation, but on neither occasion do I remember that many people actually dancing, though the atmosphere was much more uproarious than one would find at any jazz club today, and people would move rhythmically to the music, facing the stage - not really dancing - and of course hand clap.
          People used to dance to "modern jazz" way before the 80s revival. Miles, Bird et al used to play dances as well as clubs. That story of a very young Jackie McLean turning up late to play at a big dance at a NY ballroom with Miles, and seeing Gene Ammons already up on the stand glaring down at him! The person I talked to danced to Hayes quintet playing a normal set. People danced in the Flamingo when I went there , Fame, organ bands, whoever etc. The Scene Club in Ham Lane was mainly Guy Stevens playing imported soul to dancers, but I remember him playing Mingus and people dancing. Even the tres mod & aloof Biba shop girls who would regard me with distain! The woman I was talking to said her boyfriend used to take Coltrane's Olé album on import to the Scene and Stevens would play it and they'd dance happily.

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

‘Hear Ye!’ – Harold Land & Red Mitchell
            with Carmell Jones, Frank Strazzeri & Leon Pettis
            Atlantic (1961)

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

Hank Cinque(Sank?) on the Breakfast prog this morning. New Ellington to me.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Chris Biscoe performing Max Roach's Mendacity - the telling words of the inspiration printed below, where other equally timely performance links can be found, as well as contact details for Chris, for long one of the very best altoists on the British scene:

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

‘Go’ – Paul Chambers
                  with Julian ‘Cannonball’ Adderley, Freddie Hubbard, Jimmy Cobb, Wynton Kelly & Philly Joe Jones
                  Vee Jay (1959)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Wayne Shorter with Lee Morgan, McCoy Tyner, Reggie Workman & Elvin Jones playing the title track from the 1964 album 'Night Dreamer':

Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer. 1964. Lee Morgan (tp); Wayne Shorter (ts); McCoy Tyner (p); Reggie Workman (b); Elvin Jones (d).

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

‘Boss Soul!’ – Gene Ammons
                      with Walter Bishop Jr, Patti Brown, Art Davis, George Duvivier, Art Taylor & Ray Barretto
                      Prestige (1961)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                        • Mar 2011

Duke Pearson with Donald Byrd, James Spaulding, Joe Henderson, Bob Cranshaw & Mickey Roker playing the title track from 'Wahoo!'.
                        It's a mystery why this wonderful 1964 Blue Note album has always been so hard to find.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

‘1st Bassman’ – Paul Chambers
                          with Tommy Turrentine, Lex Humphries Wynton Kelly Yusef Lateef & Curtis Fuller
                          Vee Jay Records (1960)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Art Taylor with Stanley Turrentine, Dave Burns, Wynton Kelly & Paul Chambers playing Kenny Dorham's 'Blue Interlude' from the 1960 Blue Note album 'A.T.'s Delight':

Song: Blue Interlude (6/6, written by Kenny Dorham)Album: A.T.'s Delight (Recorded on August 6, 1960 and released later in 1960)Artist: Art TaylorPersonnel:A...

JR

Comment

• elmo
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                              Art Taylor with Stanley Turrentine, Dave Burns, Wynton Kelly & Paul Chambers playing Kenny Dorham's 'Blue Interlude' from the 1960 Blue Note album 'A.T.'s Delight':

Song: Blue Interlude (6/6, written by Kenny Dorham)Album: A.T.'s Delight (Recorded on August 6, 1960 and released later in 1960)Artist: Art TaylorPersonnel:A...

JR
                              AT didn't turn out too many albums under his own name but this was a fine album. Dave Burns was a good trumpet player and he and Stanley T sound great together. Thanks JR

elmo

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                                AT didn't turn out too many albums under his own name but this was a fine album. Dave Burns was a good trumpet player and he and Stanley T sound great together. Thanks JR

elmo
                                That album and the Prestige Taylor's Tenors etc are excellent. There's a long interview with AT on YouTube that is very interesting. Including his time in Paris where he got the star gig in Pan Am adverts co staring with an attractive French prostitute, who from memory ruined the "partnership" by sleeping with the ad execs! Can't do that!

Comment

Working...
                                X