Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

I was playing back a stack of old C90s (what else) of bits and pieces, and Bobby's track came on via someone's request to a JRR by Geoffrey Smith. It's good to hear him like that away from Stan Tracey, a bit like Charlie Rouse away from Monk. Both excellent.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      I was playing back a stack of old C90s (what else) of bits and pieces, and Bobby's track came on via someone's request to a JRR by Geoffrey Smith. It's good to hear him like that away from Stan Tracey, a bit like Charlie Rouse away from Monk. Both excellent.
      For me the best band Bobby formed was the one he put together in 1977 or '78 with Pete Jacobsen, Adrian Kendon and Spike Wells following getting off drugs. At times the band was closest Bobby ever got to Fusion, but the level of interactivity on Dreams are Free produced some of the highest quality jazz this country has ever produced - within territory close to Filles de Kilimanjaro period Miles, the group creativity pushing Bobby in new directions - this was the opening, title track:

Bobby Wellins - tenor saxophonePeter Jacobsen - electric pianoAdrian Kendon - bassSpike Wells - drumsFrom the LP Dreams are Free 1978 Vortex VS2

It really doesn't get much better than this!

Birds of Brazil
      , from around the same time, was equally as good - same line-up but with Tony Coe and Kenny Wheeler added: Coe contributed some wonderful string quartet arrangements on a couple of numbers

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Hank Mobley with Art Farmer, Pepper Adams, Sonny Clark, Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones playing 'East of Brooklyn' from the 1957 album 'Poppin''(released in Japan, 1980):

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

‘Shoutin'’ - Don Wilkerson
          with John Patton, Grant Green & Ben Dixon
          Blue Note (1963)

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

‘Very Saxy’ – Eddie ‘Lockjaw’ Davis
            with Buddy Tate, Coleman Hawkins, Arnett Cobb, Shirley Scott, George Duvivier & Arthur Edgehill
            Prestige (1959)

Four saxophonists Eddie ‘Lockjaw’ Davis, Buddy Tate, Coleman Hawkins and Arnett Cobb

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              ‘Very Saxy’ – Eddie ‘Lockjaw’ Davis
              with Buddy Tate, Coleman Hawkins, Arnett Cobb, Shirley Scott, George Duvivier & Arthur Edgehill
              Prestige (1959)

Four saxophonists Eddie ‘Lockjaw’ Davis, Buddy Tate, Coleman Hawkins and Arnett Cobb
              Stanfordian

Whats with the new Popeye avatar ? That amused me. Must admit that I spent a lot of the first part of this year reading Asterix books which I had always been a bit sniffy about previously. It is amazing to discover just how sophisticated Asterix is, both from a point of picking up on popular culture and also the oblique references to genuine history. If you then add the classical Latin quotations thrown in for good measure ( aleays out of context, though!) , you appreciate just how good these books are.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                Stanfordian

Whats with the new Popeye avatar ? That amused me. Must admit that I spent a lot of the first part of this year reading Asterix books which I had always been a bit sniffy about previously. It is amazing to discover just how sophisticated Asterix is, both from a point of picking up on popular culture and also the oblique references to genuine history. If you then add the classical Latin quotations thrown in for good measure ( aleays out of context, though!) , you appreciate just how good these books are.
                No reason, just messin!

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

Doug Watkins Sextet with Hank Mobley, Donald Byrd, Duke Jordan, Kenny Burrell & Art Taylor playing 'More Of The Same' from the 1956 album 'Watkins At Large'(TRANSITION):

Recorded 1956 Personnel:Doug Watkins - BassDonald Byrd - TrumpetHank Mobley - Tenor SaxKenny Burrell - GuitarDuke Jordan - PianoArthur Taylor - Drums

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

I have spent this week listening to the recordings I have by Enrico Rava. The album which really impressed me is "The pilgrim and the stars" which is a bit of a grower. I love the trio of John Abercrombie, Palle Danielsson and Jon Christensen behind him on this disc which I feel captures the austere feel of jazz in the mid 70s. The music is vintage ECM and an example of when the label got the music absolutely right. It has a reputation of being a classic and dispute the nod towards Ornette on one of the tracks, this album must have seemed radically different from so much America jazz when it came out in about 1975. I wish this group had recorded more, to be honest.

I am surprised Rava does not get much attention in this board. The other albums I have include the Aldo Romano disc "inner Smile" which also boasts the wonderful French pianist Baptiste Trotignon (an unknown to most in here, I suppose ? ) and always strikes me as having a wonderful autumnal and wistful feel about it. I saw this band at Vienne about ten years ago and loved the music which wanders through a variety of styles including a version of "i'm getting sentimental over you" which almost borders into Trad territory. The other tracks include free improvising although the overall feel is of lyricism. It is a really good album which deserves to be better known.

More bizarre is Rava's ECM "comeback" album "Easy Living" which was much lauded when it was released. I think the production values are typical of this label yet there is one lively track which almost sounds like Louis Prima which must have sent Manfred Eicher in to a fit! This is a welcome change in mood on the album which features an Italian quintet that includes a rather blustery trombone. There might be a tendency to see Rava as Italy's asnwer to Kenny Wheeler although I actually feel that the Italian's "avant " leanings are really less pronounced than you would expect from musician who cites Don Cherry as an influence. For me, the ECM label is inconsistent and the general air of melancholy which pervades most of their records can make for a superficial listen if the music if not "happening." I feel the better musicians on the label's roster have had a clear connection with jazz and the more the music ECM issues is in keeping with "the tradition", the more successful it tends to be. Rava is, however, rather unique. For my money, his playing is very beautiful yet he is probably the most conservative and straight -forward musician on ECM's books. Anyone coming from more mainstream jazz will appreciate his approach to music even though he is certainly a unique voice. An album like "Easy living" could appeal to anyone who grew up appreciating the modern jazz of the 1950s. Rava is not a bopper although I feel that there is a kinship with an earlier generation of trumpeters such as Art Farmer. I would recommend all three of these discs to Bruce who would find much to enjoy and, I would hasten to add, that whilst Bluesnik usually shares my amivalence to a lot of ECM's output, the Rava albums would be something he would enjoy too. More than any other ECM artist, I feel there is a nostalgic quality about Enrico Rava's work which I really appreciate. Are there any other Rava fans out there who could make some further recommendations ?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

I have spent this week listening to the recordings I have by Enrico Rava. The album which really impressed me is "The pilgrim and the stars" which is a bit of a grower. I love the trio of John Abercrombie, Palle Danielsson and Jon Christensen behind him on this disc which I feel captures the austere feel of jazz in the mid 70s. The music is vintage ECM and an example of when the label got the music absolutely right. It has a reputation of being a classic and dispute the nod towards Ornette on one of the tracks, this album must have seemed radically different from so much America jazz when it came out in about 1975. I wish this group had recorded more, to be honest.

I am surprised Rava does not get much attention in this board. The other albums I have include the Aldo Romano disc "inner Smile" which also boasts the wonderful French pianist Baptiste Trotignon (an unknown to most in here, I suppose ? ) and always strikes me as having a wonderful autumnal and wistful feel about it. I saw this band at Vienne about ten years ago and loved the music which wanders through a variety of styles including a version of "i'm getting sentimental over you" which almost borders into Trad territory. The other tracks include free improvising although the overall feel is of lyricism. It is a really good album which deserves to be better known.

More bizarre is Rava's ECM "comeback" album "Easy Living" which was much lauded when it was released. I think the production values are typical of this label yet there is one lively track which almost sounds like Louis Prima which must have sent Manfred Eicher in to a fit! This is a welcome change in mood on the album which features an Italian quintet that includes a rather blustery trombone. There might be a tendency to see Rava as Italy's asnwer to Kenny Wheeler although I actually feel that the Italian's "avant " leanings are really less pronounced than you would expect from musician who cites Don Cherry as an influence. For me, the ECM label is inconsistent and the general air of melancholy which pervades most of their records can make for a superficial listen if the music if not "happening." I feel the better musicians on the label's roster have had a clear connection with jazz and the more the music ECM issues is in keeping with "the tradition", the more successful it tends to be. Rava is, however, rather unique. For my money, his playing is very beautiful yet he is probably the most conservative and straight -forward musician on ECM's books. Anyone coming from more mainstream jazz will appreciate his approach to music even though he is certainly a unique voice. An album like "Easy living" could appeal to anyone who grew up appreciating the modern jazz of the 1950s. Rava is not a bopper although I feel that there is a kinship with an earlier generation of trumpeters such as Art Farmer. I would recommend all three of these discs to Bruce who would find much to enjoy and, I would hasten to add, that whilst Bluesnik usually shares my amivalence to a lot of ECM's output, the Rava albums would be something he would enjoy too. More than any other ECM artist, I feel there is a nostalgic quality about Enrico Rava's work which I really appreciate. Are there any other Rava fans out there who could make some further recommendations ?
                      Your Rava comparison with Art Farmer is a good one. If I could fine any comparison among British trumpet players mine would go to Henry Lowther, both men being of roughly the same generation, both having at various points experimented outside "the tradition", and both demonstrating a unique ability to adapt their improvising in this way without sacrificing any of their individuality. There never seems to be any sense of strain about their playing, whether inside or out, which is also pretty unique in any field. Henry's a pretty laid back personality, and so I would imagine is Enrico.

I've only just realised that Enrico is Italian for Henry; how about that???

Comment

• elmo
                        • Nov 2010

Bought this Roy Brooks album "Understanding" which has just been issued. Its a quintet with Woody Shaw, Carlos Garnett, Harold Mabern and Cecil McBee recorded at the Left Bank in Baltimore in 1970. This is extremely intense music that takes no prisoners, the tracks are very long but very compelling. Woody Shaw and Carlos Garnett on tremendous form and really stretch the boundaries of Hard Bop. This isn't the comfortable neo bop of the 1980's, would that bands of today had half the power and drive of the Roy Brooks Quintet.

This is the Woody Shaw composition "Zoltan"

elmo

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                          • Dec 2010

I'll have to check those out, I recall Enrico Rava being recommended to me before years ago. He's just released another disc on ECM, in fact.

I have heard of Baptiste Trotignon, as I have a copy of his duo disc with Mark Turner, "Dusk Is a Quiet Place", a fine CD taken from dates on a tour of France:

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

I bought this when it came out, very rarely played it and gave it away. ECM is not for me, that kind of deference & cathedral reverence, both sound and artistry...

"*The Words and The Days* captures the crystalline simplicity and all-encompassing moods of both this Italian trumpeter and his label. The disc’s opening features long tones, an echo, falling-water piano and scattershot drums. It’s an ambient mediation, gorgeous and precious. … Enrico Rava’s sound is king: a singing, sweeping tone, stretching from an almost classical purity to deep Miles Davis. … Still, the quintet’s book is far broader than this. They play Don Cherry’s “Art Deco” and Russ Freeman’s “The Wind”. Rava’s own “Echoes Of Duke” is a paean to Cotton Club-era Duke Ellington, and his “Secrets” with its great, surging pulse, feels like a direct descendant of Herbie Hancock’s “I Have A Dream”. The album’s core sound rests with the two-horn lead: Rava and trombonist Gianluca Petrella. They’re a marvellous pair.
                            Greg Buium, DownBeat"

But not for me...

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

‘Preach Brother!’- Don Wilkerson
                              with Sonny Clark, Grant Green, Butch Warren, Billy Higgins & Jual Curtis
                              Blue Note (1962)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

Billie Holiday & Her Orchestra playing 'Everything Happens To Me' from the 1955 album 'Stay With Me'(VERVE):

"Everything Happens to Me" (1940) is a pop standard written by Tom Adair and Matt Dennis. It was first recorded by the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra featuring Frank...

JR

Comment

Working...
                                X