X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
    Ray Charles birthday today... Which he shares with John Coltrane, Frank Foster and Les McCann, but here's Ray in his prime, at Antibes 1961 , "Doodlin'". Note the chairs instead of music stands, they were still to be located. I love this band of Ray's and saw them, a huge shame he didn't do more straight jazz albums at this time...far too soon it was to be "America the Beautiful" and such. I blame the gin...
    http://youtu.be/S4m5OutEizU
    Like it!

Comment

• elmo
      • Nov 2010

Apparently Bobby Hutcherson became a vibes player because whilst walking past a record shop in California in the mid 50's. Milt Jackson's solo on "Bemsha Swing" from the Xmas 1954 session with Miles and Monk was playing in the record shop and Milt's solo coincided with Bobbies hip walking speed so he went straight into the shop and bought the record - never looked back.

Here is Bobbies version of Bemsha Swing with Mulgrew Miller, John Heard and Billy Higgins.

elmo

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

‘Newer Than New’ – Barry Harris Quintet
        Barry Harris with Lonnie Hillyer, Charles McPherson, Ernie Farrow & Clifford Jarvis
        Riverside (1961)

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Tubby Hayes with Mike Pyne, Ron Mathewson & Tony Levin playing 'Mexican Green' at The Little Theatre, Rochester, Kent on April 2, 1967:

Provided to YouTube by The state51 ConspiracyMexican Green (Live at The Little Theatre, Rochester, Kent, April 2nd 1970) · The Tubby Hayes QuartetTubby Hayes...

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Jackie McLean and the Cosmic Brotherhood (Sextet) - "Adrian's Dance", Steeplechase 1974. I'd forgotten how good and full of fire this band and the album was ("New York Calling") until it came up somewhere else. Jackie put together some very good recordings post Bluenote on a variety of labels...

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
              Jackie McLean and the Cosmic Brotherhood (Sextet) - "Adrian's Dance", Steeplechase 1974. I'd forgotten how good and full of fire this band and the album was ("New York Calling") until it came up somewhere else. Jackie put together some very good recordings post Bluenote on a variety of labels...
              http://youtu.be/b1JXdG9Negw
              That is a really good track but I was surprised to see that only McLean's son Rene was the only name I had heard of. Whatever happened to the other musicians ?

It did make me think that I have not heard of Greg Osby for ages ? Another alto player of McLean's ilk.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Drummer Frank Butler's debut album as leader 'The Stepper' recorded for Don Schlitten's Xanadu Records label in 1977 with Jack Montrose, Dolo Coker & Monty Budwig:

From "The Stepper" 1978, Xanadu RecordsRecorded by Arne Frager at Spectrum Studios, Venice, California on November 19, 1977Written by Dolo CokerProduced & Di...

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

Hank Mobley with Curtis Porter(Shafi Hadi), Bill Hardman, Sonny Clark, Paul Chambers & Art Taylor playing 'Mighty Moe and Joe' in 1957:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

& Jazz Monthly article on Hank Mobley by Michael James in 1962:

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

‘Up and Down’ – Horace Parlan
                    with Booker Ervin, Grant Green, George Tucker & Al Harewood
                    Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• Quarky
                      • Dec 2010

Love Theme From Spartacus · Yusef Lateef

Bass: Ernie Farrow, Drums: Lex Humphries, Piano: Barry Harris

Finding this confusing: this Spartacus is from the 1960 film. Nothing to do with Khachaturian's composition, which should properly be referred to as - Adagio from Spartacus.

No doubt, it's more complicated than that.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
                        Love Theme From Spartacus · Yusef Lateef

Bass: Ernie Farrow, Drums: Lex Humphries, Piano: Barry Harris

Finding this confusing: this Spartacus is from the 1960 film. Nothing to do with Khachaturian's composition, which should properly be referred to as - Adagio from Spartacus.

No doubt, it's more complicated than that.
                        The Khachaturian (and put it in your pocket) theme was of course used in The Onedin Line BBC drama series of between 1971 and 1980. Before just now checking I hadn't realised it went on that long, though it certainly felt like it!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Sarah Vaughan sings September Song

Clifford Brown – trumpet
                          Paul Quinichette – tenor saxophone
                          Herbie Mann – flute
                          Jimmy Jones – piano

Comment

• gradus
                            • Nov 2010

Oscar Peterson's 'Strictly for my Friends' 5 disc set from 1968. As if I needed reminding of his astonishing playing, musical imagination and utter command of the keyboard - maybe the greatest of all jazz piano virtuosi - never forgetting that he could swing everything he played. Yes, I'm a fan.
                            The chordal improvisation on Girl Talk is just wonderful but it gets even better as that side progresses. Glad I got the turntable running again.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

'Night Dreamer' - Wayne Shorter
                              with Lee Morgan, McCoy Tyner, Reggie Workman & Elvin Jones
                              Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, John Lewis, Al McKibbon & Joe Harris playing 'Confirmation' at Carnegie Hall on September 29, 1947:

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupConfirmation (Live) · Dizzy GillespieDiz 'N Bird At Carnegie Hall℗ 1947 Blue Note RecordsReleased on: 1997-01-01A...

JR
                                Last edited by Jazzrook; 29-09-21, 20:52.

Comment

Working...
                                X