• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

‘Headin’ South’ – Horace Parlan
        with George Tucker, Al Harewood & Ray Barretto
        Blue Note (1960)

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Noah Howard with Arthur Doyle, Earl Cross, Leslie Waldron, Norris Jones(Sirone), Mohammed Ali & Juma playing 'Queen Anne' in 1969:

The Black Ark (1973)Personnel:Noah Howard (Alto Saxophone)Norris Jones (Bass)Juma Sultan (Congas)Mohammed Ali (Drums)Leslie Waldron (Piano)Arthur Doyle (Teno...

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Andrew Hill with Joe Farrell, Charles Tolliver, Victor Sproles & Billy Higgins playing 'Yellow Violet' from the 1968 album 'Dance With Death':

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupYellow Violet (2004 Remastered) · Andrew HillDance With Death℗ A Blue Note Records Release; ℗ 1968 Capitol Record...

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

Marianne Faithful with the Ornette Coleman trio, Ornette's "Sadness" from the soundtrack to the film "Who's Crazy?", 1966. Marianne and Ornette, who knew? I've had Ornette's music on tape from this for years. Never heard Marianne's "contribution"...

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                Marianne Faithful with the Ornette Coleman trio, Ornette's "Sadness" from the soundtrack to the film "Who's Crazy?", 1966. Marianne and Ornette, who knew? I've had Ornette's music on tape from this for years. Never heard Marianne's "contribution"...
                http://youtu.be/NSZzDDlJ4_g
                Amazing! I remember being stunned by Yoko Ono's unearthly singing with Ornette at the Royal Albert Hall in 1968:

Provided to YouTube by BWSCD, Inc.AOS · Yoko OnoPlastic Ono Band℗ 2016 Secretly Canadian / Chimera MusicReleased on: 1970-12-11Auto-generated by YouTube.

& Diamanda Galas playing & singing Ornette's 'Lonely Woman':

Provided to YouTube by Virtual Label LLCLonely Woman · Diamanda GalásLa Serpenta Canta℗ Diamanda GalásReleased on: 2003-11-24Composer: Ornette ColemanAuto-ge...

JR
                Last edited by Jazzrook; 19-09-21, 10:20.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

I don't know what has happened to Joe these days but I had been meaning to ask whether he had heard the Terje Rypdal track on JRR the other week? I have to put my cards on the table and say that I am not really a fan of anything which is too fusion but I love Rypdal's music. It is difficult to put your finger on what appeals about it but I think the attraction is that he sounds like Hank Marvin although in a context which can incorporate some pretty outside ideas. The JRR track came from one of the The Chasers albums which ultimately concluded with a disc called "The Singles Collection" which was clearly taking it's cues from Prince who was still pretty hip in 1989.

For my money, The Chasers are like a rock band who have discovered jazz. I think Rypdal's earlier work is probably more rewarding even if you have to conclude that a musician who started playing in a Norwegian pop group that was influenced by The Shadows, worked with the AEoC, performed on Jan Garbarek's more Ayler-influenced groups and also writes Classical music which owes something to Mahler is never not going to be interesting. Throughout this week I have been playing his 1979 trio album "Descendre" with trumpeter Palle Mikkelborg and drummer Jon Christensen. I suppose this album is very much "ECM" and, in my opinion, pretty much nails it as far as this label is concerned with getting things right. It is a short album but one that you can keep listening to again and again without really understanding what is written or indeed where the themes are. The music almost merges across the tracks and the music rarely goes beyond a glacial tempo yet still manages to sound extremely edgy. It is atmospheric and also gives a sense of largely being freely improvised. It is clear that the musicians are not "running the changes" and most of the momentum comes from the exceptional drumming of Christiansen. As fun as the Chasers are, I think that "Descendre" is almost it's own ouevre which sonically owes something to rock but any resemblance is really ony superficial. For a record which os over 40 years old, it still stands up as being quite edgy and certainly a cut above anything Miles Davis made with his own, small groups troughout his last 20 years. Curious that Mikkelbord should be the one responsible writing "Aura" which was Davis' best 1980s offering. For me the appeal of Terje Rypdal is that he sounds quite unlike anyone else in jazz. The fact that he landed up on a label like ECM always means commercial pressures are off the agenda and it is more about being creative. I have to say that "Descendre" is something of a mini-classic. I would recommend to Bruce who will love this disc nuit think it is one Joe needs to check out too.

Good to hear some of the more obscure ECM stuff cropping up on JRR.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

‘Open House’ – Jimmy Smith
                    with Blue Mitchell, Jackie McLean, Ike Quebec, Quentin Warren & Donald Bailey
                    Blue Note (rec. 1960, released 1968)

What a super line up!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

‘Breezin’ – Sonny Red
                      with Yusef Lateef, Blue Mitchell, Barry Harris, Bob Cranshaw & Albert 'Tootie' Heath
                      Jazzland (1960)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                        • Mar 2011

John Coltrane with McCoy Tyner, Steve Davis and Elvin Jones playing 'Equinox' recorded in 1960 but not issued until 1964 on 'Coltrane's Sound':

John Coltrane — Tenor Saxophone McCoy Tyner — PianoSteve Davis — Bass Elvin Jones — DrumsFrom: Coltrane's Sound released in 1...

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

‘South Side Soul’ – The John Wright Trio
                          John Wright with Wendell Roberts & Walter McCants
                          Prestige (1960)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Pharaoh Sanders Quartet with William Henderson, Charles Fambrough & Sherman Ferguson playing John Coltrane's 'Wise One' in 1992:

from "Crescent With Love" (1994), Evidence.Pharoah Sanders - tenor sax ; William Henderson - piano ;Charles Fambrough - bass ;Sherman Ferguson - drums.Writte...

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                              • Dec 2010

Ray Charles birthday today... Which he shares with John Coltrane, Frank Foster and Les McCann, but here's Ray in his prime, at Antibes 1961 , "Doodlin'". Note the chairs instead of music stands, they were still to be located. I love this band of Ray's and saw them, a huge shame he didn't do more straight jazz albums at this time...far too soon it was to be "America the Beautiful" and such. I blame the gin...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                                Ray Charles birthday today... Which he shares with John Coltrane, Frank Foster and Les McCann, but here's Ray in his prime, at Antibes 1961 , "Doodlin'". Note the chairs instead of music stands, they were still to be located. I love this band of Ray's and saw them, a huge shame he didn't do more straight jazz albums at this time...far too soon it was to be "America the Beautiful" and such. I blame the gin...
                                http://youtu.be/S4m5OutEizU
                                ...And Norma Winstone (see my earlier post). There must be something about September 23rd.....

Comment

Working...
                                X