• Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

New York Art Quartet with John Tchicai, Roswell Rudd, Reggie Workman & Milford Graves playing 'Everything Happens To Me' from their 1965 album 'Mohawk':

http://www.discogs.com/New-York-Art-Quartet-The-Mohawk/release/2750839

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Four Generations of Miles - George Coleman, Mike Stern, Ron Carter and Jimmy Cobb

This is a great record.

Comment

• Bert
          Banned
          • Apr 2020

Keith Jarrett - The Survivors' Suite. 1976. ECM

Prompted by a post on another thread ........

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

John Coltrane - Olé Coltrane

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
              Joe

Thanks for posting this.

I did not realise that the Joseph Holbrooke trio went back as early as 1965. It is funny how incorrect your perceptions of chronology can be with this track effectively being contemporary with the earliest recordings of Miles's second quintet and broadly at the point when Coltrane's quartet was at it's peak. In addition, you could also argue how incongruous these three musicians would appear to be if you were only aware of their work after this point.

Listening to this track I was struggling to think whose playing Derek Bailey's guitar reminded me off and if then struck me that this band sounds a lot like the trio Jeff Parker led in the 2010s with Chris Lopes and Chad Taylor. This is the most "jazz " related I have ever heard Bailey's playing and intriguing because I have always felt that he is more interesting for what he was trying to achieve than the results. The concept always seemed more noble that the music that often materialised. By contrast, I really like Tony Oxley's playing which always sounds akin to an avant garde Sonny Greer to my ears. The weirdest element is bassist Gavin Bryars, who has long since departed jazz to emerge as a brilliant and thought -provoking composer who collaboration with another guitarist, Bill Frisell, on "After the requiem" was a record I was only playing a month ago - a deeply radical approach to what a string quartet might be albeit a work which is immediately approachable. For all Bryars' reputation for being a "radical", I have always felt this his Classical work offers an inviting bridge towards contemporary composition. When I discovered his music in the late 80s / early 90s, he was enjoying something of a moment in the spotlight.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                • Nov 2010

Yesterday evening I was listening to the live stream of Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Band from, errr, Ronnie Scott’s. Fabulous big band jazz, the sort of thing my late father would have loved. The stream will only be available until Saturday night, so watch it or miss it. The sound quality is excellent.

Steve

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

‘Dippin'’ - Hank Mobley
                  with Lee Morgan, Harold Mabern Jr, Larry Ridley & Billy Higgins
                  Blue Note (1965)

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Tony Williams Lifetime Live in New York 1969

Listening via youtube. Just on the first track now and it's very good. When I saw this album appear some time ago I didn't check it out because I'd read about sound quality problems - well, the whole trio is perfectly audible to these ears (the worst you could say is that the cymbals hiss a bit) and everyone is on fire.

Comment

• Bert
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2020

Nik Bärtsch's Ronin - Stoa Recorded 2005, released 2006

Comment

• Jazzrook
                        • Mar 2011

Alan Wakeman Octet(with introduction by Charles Fox):

From the album 'The Octet Broadcasts - 1969 and 1979' by saxophonist and composer Alan Wakeman, released 21 August, 2020.Stream: https://orcd.co/aw-theoctetb...

From the album 'The Octet Broadcasts - 1969 and 1979' by saxophonist and composer Alan Wakeman, released 21 August, 2020.Stream: https://orcd.co/aw-theoctetb...

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants

Comment

• elmo
                            • Nov 2010

Jaki Byard deconstructing an old 1951 composition of his called "Chandra" from his album "Sunshine of my soul" with David Izenzon and Elvin Jones. The whole album is excellent, it should be better known.

elmo

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

‘Mode for Joe’ – Joe Henderson
                              with Lee Morgan, Curtis Fuller, Bobby Hutcherson, Cedar Walton, Ron Carter & Joe Chambers
                              Blue Note (1966)

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                                • Dec 2010

Been listening to The Yellowjacket's "XL" album with WDR Big Band. I read a review of this album a month ago and was curious. The Yellowjackets are not a band I have listened to as I had always considered them to be Fusion. I cannot recall them ever being name-checked on this site and you do feel that this kind of jazz is less popular in the UK than in the States where there is probably less suspicion of this kind of jazz. This disc grafts the quartet on to a big band via the charts of Vince Mendoza and Bob Mintzer, this format being the latter's other preferred medium after the Yellowjackets. Not too fussed by Mintzer's employment of the EWI yet the music is otherwise largely acoustic. The previous Yellowjackets album featured the singer Luciana Sousa who was much admired by Calum de Jazbo, late of this board. It seems this band is moving more towards a contemporary jazz feel and the Fusion tag is probably inappropriate. This album is a grower.

Comment

Working...
                                X