Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Miles Davis - Blue Haze

Comment

• Stunsworth
      • Nov 2010

Andy Davies Quartet streaming live from Ronnie Scott’s. Should be available for a day or two after today...

Steve

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Miles Davis All Stars - Walkin'

EDIT: Just seen this on the wiki entry for this album, something I didn't know:

"Solar" was attributed to Davis and copyrighted in his name in 1963.[6][7] Evidence revealed in 2012 showed that it is nearly identical to "Sonny", a piece written by guitarist Chuck Wayne in the 1940s, so Wayne is regarded as the composer of "Solar".[6][7]
        Last edited by Joseph K; 20-11-20, 14:21.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Miles Davis - Bags' Groove

Comment

• elmo
            • Nov 2010

Archie Shepp "Damn if I know" (the stroller) with Ron Carter, Walter Davis jnr, Beaver Harris - forgot how good the "Way Ahead " album is.

elmo

Comment

• elmo
              • Nov 2010

Eliane Elias with an amazing band including her husband Marc Johnson on Bass playing (and singing) Chega De Saudade - She is a very- fine pianist - love brazilian music.

elmo

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                Eliane Elias with an amazing band including her husband Marc Johnson on Bass playing (and singing) Chega De Saudade - She is a very- fine pianist - love brazilian music.

elmo
                Indeed so - barefoot too! I like the way she separates the singing from the piano playing!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post

elmo

Elmo

I had totally forgotten that I had seen Eliane Elias at Vienne (shocked to see that it was back in 2014!) but have to admit that it made little impression on me. You can watch the whole gig here and the video does give yo ua good impression of how spectacular a venue it is.

I find this stuff a bit too polite, to be honest. It is nice enough to listen too but it always strikes me as being totally formulaic. It tends to wash over you and is very redolent of the kind of stuff the Concord label used to out out in the 1980s. I hope you find this concert agreeable. Listening again, it reminded me a lot of Oscar Peterson in some places.

Several years later I saw another piano trio from Brazil in the small club and was totally surprised how they approached music. This was symptomatic of how Vienne is programmed as the more edgy / niche groups are feauted in the Club de Minuit whereas the main Theatre Antique puts on the "big names" or mainstream / popular artists. There was an element of Bossa in the repertoire yet the three musicians acted more like Jason Moran's bandwagon with each of the three musicians being quite unruly. I have a CD of their somewhere and cannot remember their name. I felt that they were hugely compelling because you had no idea where the music would go next. It totally lacked the smoothness of Eliane Elias and was far better than that. I think that our perception of Brazilian jazz has been skewed by the likes of Eliane Elias whereas the bands that I have heard that have not necessarily broken out in to the wider mainstream certainly exhibit the unbooted spirit of the likes of Hermeto Pascaol.

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

John McLaughlin & the Fourth Dimension - To the One

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                      John McLaughlin & the Fourth Dimension - To the One
                      A sick album in case anyone wondered. Very groovy.

Comment

• elmo
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                        Elmo

I had totally forgotten that I had seen Eliane Elias at Vienne (shocked to see that it was back in 2014!) but have to admit that it made little impression on me. You can watch the whole gig here and the video does give yo ua good impression of how spectacular a venue it is.

I find this stuff a bit too polite, to be honest. It is nice enough to listen too but it always strikes me as being totally formulaic. It tends to wash over you and is very redolent of the kind of stuff the Concord label used to out out in the 1980s. I hope you find this concert agreeable. Listening again, it reminded me a lot of Oscar Peterson in some places.

Several years later I saw another piano trio from Brazil in the small club and was totally surprised how they approached music. This was symptomatic of how Vienne is programmed as the more edgy / niche groups are feauted in the Club de Minuit whereas the main Theatre Antique puts on the "big names" or mainstream / popular artists. There was an element of Bossa in the repertoire yet the three musicians acted more like Jason Moran's bandwagon with each of the three musicians being quite unruly. I have a CD of their somewhere and cannot remember their name. I felt that they were hugely compelling because you had no idea where the music would go next. It totally lacked the smoothness of Eliane Elias and was far better than that. I think that our perception of Brazilian jazz has been skewed by the likes of Eliane Elias whereas the bands that I have heard that have not necessarily broken out in to the wider mainstream certainly exhibit the unbooted spirit of the likes of Hermeto Pascaol.
                        Thanks Ian I appreciated the Vienne performance. I think you can appreciate the less ground breaking as well as the iconoclasts, Bossa Nova is a more gentle form of latin music pioneered by Bonfa, Gilberto, Jobim, Vincinius demoraes etc. Because it is more understated does not mean it is not profound. I think some of those brazilian rhythm sections create some marvellous sensual rhythms and the portugese language is perfect for expressing Bossa Nova. Ever since the early sixties jazzmen have embraced it with varying success. It is not easy to get it right.

elmo

Comment

• Stunsworth
                          • Nov 2010

BBC Young Jazz Musician 2020 on BBC4.
                          Steve

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

‘Preachin'’ - Gene Ammons
                            with Clarence 'Sleepy' Anderson, Sylvester Hickman & Dorral Anderson
                            Prestige (1962)

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Very early Coltrane:

Comment

• Stunsworth
                                • Nov 2010

Mike Roberts Bigish Band streaming live from Ronnie Scott’s...

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X