• Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

‘Such Sweet Thunder’
    Duke Ellington and his Orchestra
    Columbia (1956/57)

Comment

• burning dog
      • Dec 2010

Joseph Jarmanalbum: Song For (1967)http://www.discogs.com/Joseph-Jarman-Song-For/release/755889

Song For - Joseph Jarman

Recorded at Sound Studios in 1966.

Hot Stuff !

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

‘Another Story’
        Stanley Turrentine with Thad Jones, Cedar Walton, Buster Williams & Mickey Roker
        Blue Note (1969)

Comment

• Stunsworth
          • Nov 2010

Dexter Gordon: Go

A 24/192 download from Qobuz. Stunning sound on “I Guess I’ll Hang My Tears Out To Dry”.
          Steve

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

'Monk's Dream'
            Thelonious Monk with Charlie Rouse, John Ore & Frankie Dunlop
            Columbia (1962)

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

John McLaughlin, Autumn Leaves.

John Mclaughlin, mahavishnu orchestra, jazz guitar, jazz, Bob Cornford

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

'Solid'
                Grant Green with James Spaulding, Joe Henderson, McCoy Tyner, Bob Cranshaw & Elvin Jones
                Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Cookin' with Miles Davis. (My shortest CD - only 34 minutes - but good stuff).

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Drummer Stan Levey's 1955 album 'This Time The Drum's On Me'(BETHLEHEM) with Dexter Gordon, Conte Candoli, Frank Rosolino, Lou Levy & Leroy Vinnegar.

Here's George Handy's 'Diggin' For Diz':

Stan Levey Sextet - Diggin' for Diz (1955)Personnel: Conte Candoli (trumpet), Frank Rosolino (trombone), Dexter Gordon (tenor sax), Lou Levy (piano), Leroy V...

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

‘Tenor Madness’
                      Sonny Rollins with John Coltrane, Philly Joe Jones, Red Garland, Paul Chambers
                      Prestige Records (1956)

Taken out for later!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

‘Inner Urge’
                        Joe Henderson with McCoy Tyner, Bob Cranshaw & Elvin Jones
                        Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Right now listening to "Lift Every Voice", Charles Lloyd's 2002 ECM release, and his response to 9/11. Reviewers were generally favourable towards what was, after all, a heartfelt and sincere outpouring, and certainly Geri Allen's playing is glorious where allowed to blossom. I'm halfway through, listening to this for the first time, having in two senses had the good fortune to be given a review copy, because the leader has been recorded sounding like he's way away distant from the rest of the performers, all giving it their usual, down an empty canyon; and it suddenly strikes me that this was the odd thing also about Annette Peacock's "An Acrobat's Heart", her voice hidden so far away one does ones best to follow reading the lyrics on the sleeve, while her piano playing is exquisitely couched in the scrupulously captured sonorities offered by the Cikadas, also of around that time on ECM.

Before this I was giving a Jazz on 3 recording from November 2000 a spin, and sheerly delighting in the inspired playing and compositions of the Dave Douglas Charms of the Night Sky Quartet, with Mark Feldman on violin, Brad Sheppey guitar, and bassist Greg Cohen. Gunther Schuller always argued that the greatest jazz submits iteself to analysis by the same standards exacted in analysing a Beethoven symphony, and this truly applied to this group at its 4 October performance at the QEH, both in terms of the magnificence of the compositional materials used, in an idiom located somewhere between Mahler and Weill, and the inspired playing of Douglas, surely the finest player of today in the Lester Bowie lineage, and Mark Feldman, whom I have not heard sounding better or extending his means further. The audience response said it all.

The Lloyd, Disc 2, is stretching out at last and catching my attention away from thought processes on a medium-tempo minor blues, à la Coltrane. Must go & peel the potatoes.

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Jaco Pastorius / Pat Metheny Trio - All The Things You Are

All The Things You Are (Oscar Hammerstein II) (1939)The Early Years Recording Track 15 of 15- Playing in a trio alongside Pat Metheny and Bob Moses, Jaco is ...

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                              • Aug 2015

BBC4 TV : 1-2 December 2017 -

The Girl From Ipanema : Brazil, Bossa Nova and the Beach:

Queens of Jazz: The Joy and Pain of the Jazz Divas:

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

‘JuJu’
                                Wayne Shorter with McCoy Tyner, Reggie Workman & Elvin Jones
                                Blue Note (1964)

Comment

Working...
                                X