X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

'Reminiscin''

Gigi Gryce with Richard Gene Williams, Richard Rylands, Reggie Workman, Eddie Costa & Bob Thomas
    New Jazz (1960)

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

An extraordinary version of Blind Lemon Jefferson's 'See That My Grave Is Kept Clean' by Diamanda Galas:

JR

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Selections from:

Pax - 1965
        Compulsion!!!!! - 1965
        Point Of Departure - 1964

These are my favourite Andrew Hill albums. Fellow boardsters from the jazz fraternity also put me onto the excellent Bobby Hutchinson album dialogue that has some fabulous playing from AH.

Not sure which album to go for next. Anyone got a steer for me?

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

That's Bluenote, not "Bluebird"! My smartphone won't allow me to amend from here...BN.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

"Change" from 1966 (Bluebird). Scheduled but not released until part of a double LP album in the 1970s. It's now a Bluenote Connoisseur CD. It's a Hill/Sam Rivers Quartet date with Walter Booker and JC Moses. It reminds me of a kind of Elmo Hope date but from a later time. That kind of introverted but jagged feel. If you can find it its a keeper.

"The Allmusic review by Thom Jurek awarded the album 4 stars stating "This band plays outside, but this is not "free jazz" in the original sense of the term. In fact, it is music that is composed, with lots of room for improvisation... It's a shame this ensemble didn't get to record together more, because by album's end it feels like they're just getting started"

BN.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
              "Change" from 1966 (Bluebird). Scheduled but not released until part of a double LP album in the 1970s. It's now a Bluenote Connoisseur CD. It's a Hill/Sam Rivers Quartet date with Walter Booker and JC Moses. It reminds me of a kind of Elmo Hope date but from a later time. That kind of introverted but jagged feel. If you can find it its a keeper.

"The Allmusic review by Thom Jurek awarded the album 4 stars stating "This band plays outside, but this is not "free jazz" in the original sense of the term. In fact, it is music that is composed, with lots of room for improvisation... It's a shame this ensemble didn't get to record together more, because by album's end it feels like they're just getting started"

BN.
              Thanks BN. I was also thinking about Andrew!!! and Judgement.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Can't go wrong with either. Pushed to chose I'd go for "Andrew" just for John Gilmore. And the material is striking.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

Selections from:

Pax - 1965
                  Compulsion!!!!! - 1965

These are my favourite Andrew Hill albums. Fellow boardsters from the jazz fraternity also put me onto the excellent Bobby Hutchinson album dialogue that has some fabulous playing from AH.

I would have to plump for either "Black Fire" where Andrew Hill mixes it with Joe Henderson and an excellent Roy Haynes or the session with Bobby Hutcherson called "Judgement." The latter is slightly more cohesive and better than "Dialogue" but there are also other Andrew Hill records beyond Blue Note that are worth looking out for. "Dusk " from around 2001 is essential and can still be picked up second hand and is probably one of the best albums he made. There is also a 4-CD box set of Soul Note / Black Saint material from the 1980s which consists of one so/so solo, a decent trio outing and a brilliant quartet session with Clifford Jordan. However, it also includes "Verona Rag" which is amongst the best solo jazz albums ever made and an essential component of an Andrew Hill collection

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

Picking up on the Curtis Counce selection, it is a disappointment that Volume 1 of the quintet's work on Contemporary is missing. The compilation of four classic albums is demonstrative of Contemporary's excellent sound recording but the session "Exploring the future" which is famous for it's "Lost in space" cover should have been ditched in favour of the volume 1 disc. The groups with Land / Butler / Sheldon / Counce / Perkins has a fantastic chemistry and the group gels together perfectly. The "future" session features a different band with Elmo Hope in on piano and Rolf Ericson on trumpet. I must admit that whilst this does have inferior sound quality than the other sessions which have a wonderful warmth about them, the most off-putting element is Ericson's truly horrible trumpet tone. I don't know if he normally sounded like that but it comes across like an irritating fly buzzing around a tin can. It is seriously unpleasant. I would also have to add that Elmo Hope detracts from the group sound and is nit helped by an out of tune piano. All in all, it is not a patch on the sessions with Perkins and Sheldon which are fantastic not only for the soloing but the fact that this band sounds so cohesive. This has been a big discovery for me . Harold Land is a musician who I think is seriously under-rated yet, on these performances, I think that Sheldon has been criminally under-looked.

Comment

• Quarky
                      • Dec 2010

Many thanks for reference to Curtis Counce, Ian - someone else I've never 'erd of.

There is a lot of Curtis Counce available on YouTube.

Is this the missing item?:
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                      Last edited by Quarky; 09-11-17, 08:42.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                        Picking up on the Curtis Counce selection, it is a disappointment that Volume 1 of the quintet's work on Contemporary is missing. The compilation of four classic albums is demonstrative of Contemporary's excellent sound recording but the session "Exploring the future" which is famous for it's "Lost in space" cover should have been ditched in favour of the volume 1 disc. The groups with Land / Butler / Sheldon / Counce / Perkins has a fantastic chemistry and the group gels together perfectly. The "future" session features a different band with Elmo Hope in on piano and Rolf Ericson on trumpet. I must admit that whilst this does have inferior sound quality than the other sessions which have a wonderful warmth about them, the most off-putting element is Ericson's truly horrible trumpet tone. I don't know if he normally sounded like that but it comes across like an irritating fly buzzing around a tin can. It is seriously unpleasant. I would also have to add that Elmo Hope detracts from the group sound and is nit helped by an out of tune piano. All in all, it is not a patch on the sessions with Perkins and Sheldon which are fantastic not only for the soloing but the fact that this band sounds so cohesive. This has been a big discovery for me . Harold Land is a musician who I think is seriously under-rated yet, on these performances, I think that Sheldon has been criminally under-looked.
                        They are all wonderful records. I've got a box set of the complete sessions and a CD of the Hope date. The band also recorded Harold in the Land of Jazz with Leroy Vinnegar in for Counce and (the excellent) Perkins on piano. Also called Grooveyard. Carl Perkins has a v. fine trio album and was a strong influence on Vic Feldman when he first went to the States. There's footage of Perkins on Utube, an extraordinary technique as he had limited use of his left hand through polio. Amazing to watch how he managed to be so fluent.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                          Can't go wrong with either. Pushed to chose I'd go for "Andrew" just for John Gilmore. And the material is striking.
                          Going to go for Andrew!!! next. Thanks

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                            I would have to plump for either "Black Fire" where Andrew Hill mixes it with Joe Henderson and an excellent Roy Haynes or the session with Bobby Hutcherson called "Judgement." The latter is slightly more cohesive and better than "Dialogue" but there are also other Andrew Hill records beyond Blue Note that are worth looking out for. "Dusk " from around 2001 is essential and can still be picked up second hand and is probably one of the best albums he made. There is also a 4-CD box set of Soul Note / Black Saint material from the 1980s which consists of one so/so solo, a decent trio outing and a brilliant quartet session with Clifford Jordan. However, it also includes "Verona Rag" which is amongst the best solo jazz albums ever made and an essential component of an Andrew Hill collection
                            Verona Rag sounds very tempting -

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

Selections from:

Pax - 1965
                              Compulsion!!!!! - 1965

I'd recommend Hill's debut for BLUE NOTE, 'Black Fire'(1963), 'Judgment!'(1964), 'Dance With Death'(1968), 'Grass Roots'(1968) with Booker Ervin, 'Passing Ships'(1969), 'Nefertiti'(1976) & 'Shades'(1986).

JR

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                                I'd recommend Hill's debut for BLUE NOTE, 'Black Fire'(1963), 'Judgment!'(1964), 'Dance With Death'(1968), 'Grass Roots'(1968) with Booker Ervin, 'Passing Ships'(1969), 'Nefertiti'(1976) & 'Shades'(1986).

JR
                                Going to dip into them - thank god for streaming! Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X