Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

I 've been listening to some old CDs that I have not played for years this week. First up was the Bill Frisell album with Dave Holland and Elvin Jones which must have been one of the drummer's least appearances on disc. Prior to it's release, the album was slated to be absolutely terrific. The reality was probably one of Frisell's weakest albums with the potential for a Coltrane mash-up akin to the excellent "Ask the ages" by Sonny Sharrock replaced by polite-Americana where Elvin seems totally bored and disengaged and the most exciting track where things eventually starting to burn coming to ab abrupt stop just as the music catches fire. It is probably the most disappointing all start album I am aware of with the starts never seeming to fly. A missed opportunity of epic proportions which dies credit to none of the musicians.

The other album was Charles Mingus' "Ah um" which I always loved but have not got around for playing for a long while, The band includes a roster of lesser soloists like John Handy and Booker Erwin who are coaxed in to some career-defining moments on this record. The most well know name is probably trombonist Jimmy Knepper, someone it is always great to hear. I would have to say that I am not a big fan of Mingus' music. I love the Mingus Big Band and would have to say on the two occasions I have heard them perform live, it has been some of the most exciting music I have heard. Mingus' own records are a mixed bunch and I think he is often uneven or perhaps even detrimental to his own reputation so the extent that I have never really warmed to his music. "Ah um" is probably the exception although "Black Saint" runs it close. Part of the problem stems from the unevenness of his output and also that (to my ears) he has never sounded particularly modern to me. The influence of Ellington is sometimes overwhelming but Mingus is not on the same par as the Duke and I would always plump for Ellington's music first if given the choice.

The weird thing about Mingus' music is that whilst there are records where he pushed the music by employing the likes of Eric Dolphy, there are probably more examples where his music fits a Mainstream / Swing agenda. I don't think that Mingus ever was really a bopper and tracks like "Pussy Cat Dues" and "Jelly Roll" probably compare with contemporary groups like those led by Steve Bernstein who are happy to use 20s/ 30's repertoire and rough it up considerably with the result that the jazz does not sound like a respectful museum piece. It is evident that the bassist loved Ellington's music and was equally enthralled by early musicians like Jelly Roll Morton and Fats Waller. At best, he is fun ti listen to and affords a degree of exuberance that is sadly absent is so much jazz today. However, when push comes to a shove, so much in Mingus' music comes from pre-bop styles of jazz, I struggle to consider him to be Modern as you would with [layers like Davis, Coltrane, Hill, Hancock, etc. Some of his earlier writing from the 40's owes everything to Duke (especially some of his earlier big band arrangements) but Mingus' over-reliance on working things out in rehearsals or indeed on the performance stage just means for me that Ellington get the preference every time. Still, "Ah um" remains one of the most enjoyable jazz records of the 1950's and one of the best examples that yiu do not need to be modish to produce a gem of a recording. You just get the feeling that Mingus was probably born ten years too late.

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

’Go’
      Paul Chambers with Julian ‘Cannonball’ Adderley, Freddie Hubbard, Jimmy Cobb, Wynton Kelly & Philly Joe Jones
      Vee Jay (1959)

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

"Born too late for you to care, now my heart cries,
        because your heart just couldn't wait...Why was I born too la-a-a-a-ate? Why was I born too late? Too late".

"Born too late" (Tobias/Strause) by The Pony Tails 1958. One inanity deserves another.

BN.

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

Rubberlegs Williams

A new one on me, but what a voice!

Dizzy and Bird 4-F blues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBgI...IfwWM1U-Tza4sW

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Vespare View Post
            Rubberlegs Williams

A new one on me, but what a voice!

Dizzy and Bird 4-F blues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBgI...IfwWM1U-Tza4sW
            Fed (unsuspectingly) on Benzedrine (from nose inhalers) repeatedly crushed into his coffee & scotch by Bird and Dizzy according to the story. For a laugh. By the end of the session he was kite high. Flying home. Over the rainbow. High as the moon.

BN

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

'The Tokyo Blues'
              Horace Silver with Blue Mitchell, Junior Cook, Gene Taylor & John Harris Jr
              Blue Note (1962)

For this evening!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                • Dec 2010

Some Paul Giallorenzo:-

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

The nightingales of Berlin......

(You will have to scroll down for the excellent trailer of the film.)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

‘The Hawk Relaxes’
                    Coleman Hawkins with Ronnell Bright, Kenney Burrell, Ron Carter & Andrew Cyrille
                    Moodsville (1961)

Taken out for tonight!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                      ‘The Hawk Relaxes’
                      Coleman Hawkins with Ronnell Bright, Kenney Burrell, Ron Carter & Andrew Cyrille
                      Moodsville (1961)

Taken out for tonight!
                      Andrew Cyrille - that early!

One remembers that he was and is one of the same generation as bassist Henry Grimes: I've just been listening to the 2009 Jezza on 3 broadcast of the Profound Sound Trio they formed with our own Paul Dunmall for a couple of tours - saw 'em at the Vortex - where they talked about that period and Grimes's 30 year absence from the scene.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Andrew Cyrille - that early!

One remembers that he was and is one of the same generation as bassist Henry Grimes: I've just been listening to the 2009 Jezza on 3 broadcast of the Profound Sound Trio they formed with our own Paul Dunmall for a couple of tours - saw 'em at the Vortex - where they talked about that period and Grimes's 30 year absence from the scene.
                        Hiya SerialApologist,

Yes, Andrew Cyrille is there all right, drumming splendidly too!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

‘A Sure Thing’
                          Blue Mitchell with Clark Terry, Julius Watkins, Jerome Richardson, Jimmy Heath, Wynton Kelly, Sam Jones & Albert Heath
                          Riverside (1962)

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                            ‘A Sure Thing’
                            Blue Mitchell with Clark Terry, Julius Watkins, Jerome Richardson, Jimmy Heath, Wynton Kelly, Sam Jones & Albert Heath
                            Riverside (1962)
                            I believe that this album was arranged by the great Jimmy Heath.

Comment

• elmo
                              • Nov 2010

Played a couple of albums from a genre I an not normally at all keen on namely Jazz versions of Broadway shows. Yes I know lots of great pieces of music from the shows are a basis for Jazz up to the 1970's but they were cherry picked as being suitable for the Jazz musician.

I bought Art Blakey's Golden Boy Colpix rec 1963 because of the expanded Messengers (a tentet) with a fantastic line up - Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, Curtis fuller, Cedar Walton, Reggie workman, James Spaulding, Julius Watkins, Charles Davis, Bill Barber.
                              Apparently Golden Boy was a not very successful show that featured Sammy Davis jnr, the tentet make a fairly good fist of it Wayne and cedar's arrangements on some of the tunes work well and the ensembles sound is very good. unfortunately like most of these things what they have to work with is thin gruel. Some nice solo's (mostly short) by Wayne, Lee, Freddie. A lost opportunity I would have loved to have heard this band playing arrangements of Wayne's compositions

The second album "Gypsy" by Herb Geller rec 1959 - similar to the above, bought for the line up of musicians - Herb, Thad Jones, Hank Jones, Scott La Faro, Elvin Jones. Arrangements sound pretty dated but some really good solo and ensemble playing by Scott La Faro - a real find as I really love Scott's music, Elvin and Thad also manage to find some strands of gold but essentially these Jazz version of..... were pretty clunky. As with the Blakey would have loved to hear the band playing jazz compositions.

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

Frank Zappa & Napoleon Murphy Brock ad-libbing on 'Room Service':

JR
                                Last edited by Jazzrook; 12-10-17, 13:52.

Comment

Working...
                                X