Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Sonny Rollins Trio 'At The Village Vanguard' with Wilbur Ware(bass) & Elvin Jones(drums) recorded 60 years ago on November 3, 1957:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

'Brilliant Corners'
      Thelonious Monk with Ernie Henry, Sonny Rollins, Oscar Pettiford, Max Roach, Clark Terry & Paul Chambers
      Riverside (1956)

For tonight!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

I have been listening to the solo Pat Metheny album "one Quiet Night" which I had almost forgotten that I had. This record is something of a revelation insofar that the recordings were not initial made for public release, consisting of rehearsal tapes Metheny had made in his studio. In many ways, this is perhaps the most revealing recording the guitarist made , no only because of the fact that he was using a custom made acoustic guitar with no overdubs, but because it is the clearest example I am aware of that reveals his harmonic language.

There are a few musicians whose harmonic vocabulary is so advances that I would have to admit that I can't even begin to understand what is going on. Herbie Hancock is perhaps the best example but I would also add the likes of Mike Brecker and John Taylor to that list. Having heard Metheny perform live on countless occasions, I have always been a fan no matter what context he is playing in. This includes a solo set a Vienne when the French orchestra backing him went on strike - I got the distinct feeling he was pretty non-plussed about that. This record is a prime example that really demonstrates Metheny to be in the same class. What is interesting is that jazz has traditionally been about the complexity of the harmonic line and using rhythm, harmony and phrasing to break down the barriers that exist within bar lines, meter and even form. What I love about Metheny's playing on this record is that he is also exploring how the music may be augmented by total re-harmonising tunes . A great example on this is Norah Jones' "Don't know why" which is a brilliant pop song to begin with but the tune is almost buckled to destruction when Metheny re-harmonises it whilst remaining totally true to the spirit of the origin. In it's way, it is as radical as anything you could hear in jazz even if the devil is in the detail - the chords riding the knife-edge of dissonance with usual roots used to underpin the tune. A similar vibe to the Martin Taylor set on JLU the other week. The last chorus is pretty fascinating.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
          I have been listening to the solo Pat Metheny album "one Quiet Night" which I had almost forgotten that I had. This record is something of a revelation insofar that the recordings were not initial made for public release, consisting of rehearsal tapes Metheny had made in his studio. In many ways, this is perhaps the most revealing recording the guitarist made , no only because of the fact that he was using a custom made acoustic guitar with no overdubs, but because it is the clearest example I am aware of that reveals his harmonic language.

There are a few musicians whose harmonic vocabulary is so advances that I would have to admit that I can't even begin to understand what is going on. Herbie Hancock is perhaps the best example but I would also add the likes of Mike Brecker and John Taylor to that list. Having heard Metheny perform live on countless occasions, I have always been a fan no matter what context he is playing in. This includes a solo set a Vienne when the French orchestra backing him went on strike - I got the distinct feeling he was pretty non-plussed about that. This record is a prime example that really demonstrates Metheny to be in the same class. What is interesting is that jazz has traditionally been about the complexity of the harmonic line and using rhythm, harmony and phrasing to break down the barriers that exist within bar lines, meter and even form. What I love about Metheny's playing on this record is that he is also exploring how the music may be augmented by total re-harmonising tunes . A great example on this is Norah Jones' "Don't know why" which is a brilliant pop song to begin with but the tune is almost buckled to destruction when Metheny re-harmonises it whilst remaining totally true to the spirit of the origin. In it's way, it is as radical as anything you could hear in jazz even if the devil is in the detail - the chords riding the knife-edge of dissonance with usual roots used to underpin the tune. A similar vibe to the Martin Taylor set on JLU the other week. The last chorus is pretty fascinating.

Modulating up a semitone is a pretty routine device for last chorus repeats though, but I'll have to check out theoriginal before taking your word about the extent of Mehteny's re-harmonisation, Ian!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

S.A.

Here is the original. The final chorus does modulate by the chords ae al supported but different , unrelated notes at the bottom. It would be interesting to see a transposition of this.

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Trumpeter Baikida Carroll's 1982 album 'Shadows and Reflections' with Julius Hemphill(alto & tenor sax); Anthony Davis(piano); Dave Holland(bass) & Pheeroan Ak Laff(drums):

from : Shadows and Reflections (1982)no copyright infringement intended

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

‘Open Sesame’
                Freddie Hubbard with Tina Brooks, McCoy Tyner, Sam Jones & Clifford Jarvis
                Blue Note (1960)

Taken out for later!

Comment

• elmo
                  • Nov 2010

David Hazeltine Trio with George Mraz and Billy Drummond "Alice in wonderland" on the Venus label - very classy

elmo

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                    Trumpeter Baikida Carroll's 1982 album 'Shadows and Reflections' with Julius Hemphill(alto & tenor sax); Anthony Davis(piano); Dave Holland(bass) & Pheeroan Ak Laff(drums):

from : Shadows and Reflections (1982)no copyright infringement intended

JR
                    Absolutely fantastic! - There was a woman pianist around that time (maybe still is) - Michelle Rosewoman - whose stuff I held in high regard in the mid-80s. I'll see if I can find any youtube of her tomorrow when I've got a mo. Thanks for that "reminder", JR.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

'Face to Face'
                      'Baby Face' Willette with Fred Jackson, Grant Green, & Ben Dixon
                      Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Absolutely fantastic! - There was a woman pianist around that time (maybe still is) - Michelle Rosewoman - whose stuff I held in high regard in the mid-80s. I'll see if I can find any youtube of her tomorrow when I've got a mo. Thanks for that "reminder", JR.
                        MIchele Rosewoman and Quintessence performing a Rosewoman composition entitled "The Source". Late 80's or early 90's at the Leverkuzen Jazz festival in Ger...

Shame the clip ends there, but there's lots more of her stuff on the links (and I don't mean the golf course!).

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

'Jazz Contemporary'
                          Kenny Dorham with Charles Davis, Steve Kuhn, Jimmy Garrison, Butch Warren & Buddy Enlow
                          Time Records (1960)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIjm3i5bAnY

Shame the clip ends there, but there's lots more of her stuff on the links (and I don't mean the golf course!).
                            Thanks for that, S_A

For some reason Michele Rosewoman is conspicuous by her absence in my record collection but hope to remedy that soon.

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Grachan Moncur III's 2004 album 'Exploration'.

Here's 'New Africa' suite:

parts:a) queen tamam. b) new africac) black call. d) ethiopian marketAlbum "Exploration"Recorded in Englewood, New Jersey on June 30, 2004.Capri Record (US)T...

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

‘Now's the Time’
                                Sonny Rollins with Herbie Hancock, Thad Jones, Ron Carter/Bob Cranshaw & Roy McCurdy
                                RCA Victor (1964)

Comment

Working...
                                X