X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
    Thanks for mentioning this. I had paused my reconnaissance of Alan Skidmore (and fellow conspirators) ~1970, because to my ear, he had entered a dark phase. However, the tracks from this album on You Tube are much lighter in spirit. Must be the influence of Elton Dean. Further investigation required!
    More likely 'twas the other way round.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
      The jazz gigs I have walked out of have tended to be freer stuff which has not got going. I have only done it rarely although the Italian Instabile Orchestra was shockingly bad and I never returned to the second set which got a good review from John Fordham in The Guardian. This made be start doubting reviews in magazines afterwards as I was staggered that someone could be so wrong about a gig. Sometimes I think people will say something is great if it has a shock value but when you attend as many concerts as I go to over the course of a year, you get a feel for what is poor and what is good.

I walked out of a French film with Ludovine Sagnier which was dreadful but I think it is easier not to make a mistake with films because they are finite. You can be underwhelmed by a film but not put off as you can be when the music is unlistenable as was the case with Mary J Blige. If anything, pop music is more of a revealing experience because the poor quality artists quickly get exposed as such. The better artists tend to really know their music even if not necessarily going to the extremes of Niles Rodgers of Chic who warmed up the last time I saw him by playing Thelonious Monk!
      Three things I've walked out on because they were too f*****g loud.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Cream ...the Corn Exchange, Bristol c.1966. Deafening + Distortion way through the pain threshold. Ginger Baker's 24 hour drum solo plus tea breaks? People thought WW2 had re-started after a half time scrub down...hundreds running for the shelters..."We surrender".

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

'Coleman Hawkins Encounters Ben Webster'
          Coleman Hawkins & Ben Webster with Oscar Peterson, Herb Ellis, Ray Brown & Alvin Stoller
          Verve (1957)

Comment

• burning dog
            • Dec 2010

Hawk with strings .. on this track it really works

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

There's no other word for it but genius, Errol Garner's 'variations' on Easy to Love, 9mins 40 secs of sheer piano-playing genius.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                • Nov 2010

Ike Quebec: Blue and Sentimental

One of the DeAgostini jazz LP reissues. Nothing groundbreaking, but gorgeous playing and as usual from Blue Note a stunning recording.
                Steve

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                  • Dec 2010

Chet Baker & Paul Bley duo - "Diane". Steeplechase, Denmark, 1985.

I keep coming back to this one. At first sight an surprising combination, but a hugely complimentary one. One of Chet's finest and most committed later hours and made possible by Bley's wonderful presence and support. No sweeping pianistics or lush backgrounds but exactly right every time.

"If I should lose you", the opening track, is simply stunning.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                    Chet Baker & Paul Bley duo - "Diane". Steeplechase, Denmark, 1985.

I keep coming back to this one. At first sight an surprising combination, but a hugely complimentary one. One of Chet's finest and most committed later hours and made possible by Bley's wonderful presence and support. No sweeping pianistics or lush backgrounds but exactly right every time.

"If I should lose you", the opening track, is simply stunning.

BN.
                    It's on youchoob too!

Chet Baker (1929-1988) was an idol during his early career in music. Good-looking, talented, he played trumpet mainly by ear and sang in a soft, attractive s...

Thinking of the Bley/Peacock project of the early 1970s, I often think how fascinating it could have been had he and Billie Holiday got a session together. Chet and Dick Zwardzig were in Paris at the same time in the late 1950s - did they ever get to play together, anybody know?

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

Richard Twardzik died of a heroin overdose in a Paris hotel on 21 October 1955.

I can't see anything from the European tour dates or bootlegs, but it's more possibly they may have met/played together in Boston at the Storyville, a common location and gig for all three of them.

Not many people know : 4579 ....Dick Twardzik played for a few months with the Lionel Hampton band...toured the South with Betty Carter etc. Now that is a strange one! I had to read that twice.

BN

Comment

• Jazzrook
                        • Mar 2011

Chet Baker & Dick Twardzik can be heard on the 'Complete Studio Sessions with Dick Twardzik'(LONE HILL JAZZ LHJ 10161) recorded in Paris in 1955.
                        A great album if you can find it!

From 1955 here is Dick Twardzik, with the Chet Baker quartet, with his composition, "The Girl From Greenland".Dick Twardzik - pChet Baker - tptJimmy Bond - b...

JR
                        Last edited by Jazzrook; 04-09-17, 09:17.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                          • Dec 2010

Yes indeed, but I took SAs thoughts as whether Billie, Chet and Dick recorded together, or indeed ever played together?

Btw, the Barcley album Chet recorded right AFTER DT died is, despite that, very very good. Brooding and dark, as well it might be. I think Bobbie Jasper is on some tracks.

BN.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

'The Gigolo'
                            Lee Morgan with Wayne Shorter, Harold Mabern, Bob Cranshaw & Billy Higgins
                            Blue Note (1965)

Ill be playing this tonight!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                              Ike Quebec: Blue and Sentimental

One of the DeAgostini jazz LP reissues. Nothing groundbreaking, but gorgeous playing and as usual from Blue Note a stunning recording.
                              Ike Quebec 'Blue and Sentimental' - A Blue Note masterpiece that I play often!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

'The Kicker'
                                Bobby Hutcherson with Joe Henderson, Grant Green, Duke Pearson, Bob Cranshaw & Al Harewood
                                Blue Note (1963)

Comment

Working...
                                X