X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Yes, they are still "an item" as far as I am aware. I only ever spoke to Karin once, at one of the Bath festivals, possibly 1986, where she and John just appeared as a duo. That concert was notable for an unexpected event: my usually shy companion suddenly erupting and shouting "YEAH!!!" after Surman had improvised a particularly striking idea. It's just about audible on the C90 I recorded from the subsequent transmission of the event, though I wouldn't think it possible to hear my clapping at the end. Funny to think one is on record for ones part in several galaxies of applause, courtesy the broadcasting medium...
    I like to imagine I hear myself clapping after Ornette Coleman's 'Sadness' from his 1965 Croydon Concert but certainly
    didn't shout out "Now play Cherokee" during one of the lengthy pauses on 'Silence'!

Details:On CD for the first time ever, the complete and long unavailable Ornette Coleman concert at Fairfield Hall, Croydon, on August 29, 1965 - which inclu...

JR

Comment

• Quarky
      • Dec 2010

John Mclaughlin - Extrapolation

Great British Jazz.

The interesting issue is to where they went on extrapolating. Mahavishnu.....a diversion??
      Last edited by Quarky; 20-08-17, 11:29.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
        John Mclaughlin - Extrapolation

Great British Jazz.

The interesting issue is to where they went on extrapolating. Mahavishnu.....a diversion??
        "Binky's Beam" - that roll, one of the great Tony Oxley moments.

BN.

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

'Song for my Father'
          Horace Silver with:
          a) Blue Mitchell, Junior Cook, Gene Taylor & Roy Brooks
          b) Carmell Jones, Joe Henderson, Teddy Smith & Roger Humphries
          Blue Note (1963/64)

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Braunschlag View Post
            Currently playing - John McLaughlin, Black Light.
            Gary Husband on keyboards and drums, Etienne Mbappe's electric bass, drums -Ranjit Barot.
            This seems to be pretty much the state of the art as far as John Mclaughlin is concerned.

The album is very commercial , but the published versions with his quartet Fourth Dimension are jazz/ jazz fusion/ rock. The Indian influence pretty much subdued.
            Last edited by Quarky; 21-08-17, 17:34.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

This seems to be pretty much the state of the art as far as John Mclaughlin is concerned.

The album is very commercial , but the published versions with his quartet Fourth Dimension are jazz/ jazz fusion/ rock. The Indian influence pretty much subdued.
              Gary Husband was one of Barbara Thompson's last drummers in Paraphernalia before hubby Jon Hiseman took over in '79. Gary was just 17 bck then, but already phenomenal, according to Barbara.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                • Dec 2010

This is the line up I saw McLaughlin perform with last. He made a particular fuss of the ability of the drummer Ranjit Barot when introducing the band but he was very typical of that kind of jazz-fusion kind of player - bags of technique and ably supported the band whilst capable of producing the kind of show-stopping solos that appeal to larger audiences. All in all, the music seemed a bit old-fashioned as if this kind of jazz-rock had worked itself into it's own mainstream. So many bands who plough this furrow now seem to be latching on to more contemporary "dance" music and electronica that McLaughlin almost seems quaint by comparison. I really dislike the newer movements to introduce electronic in jazz with players I have liked in the past such as Donny McCaslin producing music live and on disc which is heavy and ugly to listen to. The whole fusion thing is largely problematic for me and I suppose that a lot of it's appeal stems from whether you were a youth in the 1970's when this music was popular. Nowadays John McLaughlin's revolutionary approach has been totally absorbed by the tradition and the whole "World" music influence is not so exotic as it once was when jazz musicians started to study music from other parts of the world in earnest. If you know the musical world in a literal global understanding, it is no surprise that you will eventually unearth musicians as talented as Barot. McLaughlin seems equally at ease employing African players too - probably a more likely source of jazz talent these days. In the end, the McLaughlin quartet seemed like an international gathering of virtuosos, more intent in bouncing off each other's technical brilliance these days than trying to be too fashionable or too abstract.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

Ben Webster - 'Groove' - The Complete Legendary 1961 Sessions
                  Ben Webster with Richard 'Groove' Holmes, Les McCann, Lawrence 'Tricky' Lofton,
                  George Freeman, Herbie Lewis & Ron Jefferson
                  Pacific Jazz (1961)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

'All Seeing Eye'
                    Wayne Shorter with Freddie Hubbard, Alan Shorter, Grachan Moncur III,
                    James Spaulding, Herbie Hancock , Ron Carter & Joe Chambers
                    Blue Note (1965)

Comment

• Quarky
                      • Dec 2010

Playing catch-up on British Jazz, using the Wikipedia entry as a starting point.

I was struck how the generation of 60s/70s went on to produce startlingly individual creative, inventive and out of the box music. Currently listening to a John Taylor mix.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          Conducted by horn player James May?

OG

Comment

• Quarky
                            • Dec 2010

An unorthodox Russian Thursday morning prayer meeting?

Comment

• burning dog
                              • Dec 2010

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

'Getting’ Around'
                                Dexter Gordon with Bobby Hutcherson, Barry Harris, Bob Cranshaw & Billy Higgins
                                Blue Note (1965)

Comment

Working...
                                X