X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

John Surman Tintagel / Road to St Ives.

This album seems to be on the edges of Jazz - but I must focus in on this guy- YouTube mix a good place to start I guess.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post

This album seems to be on the edges of Jazz - but I must focus in on this guy- YouTube mix a good place to start I guess.
      If you (or anyone) wants a spare three CD box set ("Glancing Backwards") of early 60s/70s Surman: The Trio, Conflagration, Where Fortune Smiles, Woodstock Town Hall, all from the Dawn label, free and for gratis, I'm yer geezer. Much as I'd admired him "roaring" then at Gerrard Street and with Westbrook, all the above and after leaves me cold. And I've tried for years. Although Extrapolation is good.

BN.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Cornish Jazz?

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Cornish Jazz?
          Pastiche...

BN.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Cornish Jazz?
            Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
            Pastiche...
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Quarky
              • Dec 2010

If you (or anyone) wants a spare three CD box set ("Glancing Backwards") of early 60s/70s Surman: The Trio, Conflagration, Where Fortune Smiles, Woodstock Town Hall, all from the Dawn label, free and for gratis, I'm yer geezer. Much as I'd admired him "roaring" then at Gerrard Street and with Westbrook, all the above and after leaves me cold. And I've tried for years. Although Extrapolation is good.

BN.
              Thanks for that generous offer BN, and the highly valued advice.

Well, I'm listening to some of that CD box set on YouTube at the moment. Since I'm transferring to mp3 downloads, and giving up on CDs , I think I'd rather not accept your offer - but many thanks.

However I think I will have to follow through on John Surman, as he was one of the central figures in British Jazz.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Thanks for that generous offer BN, and the highly valued advice.

Well, I'm listening to some of that CD box set on YouTube at the moment. Since I'm transferring to mp3 downloads, and giving up on CDs , I think I'd rather not accept your offer - but many thanks.

However I think I will have to follow through on John Surman, as he was one of the central figures in British Jazz.
                He's a very amiable approachable guy. My favourite memory is him roaming around the basement at Gerrard Street (Ronnie Scott's Old Place) playing a kind of R&B Rollins meets Lee Allan baritone to Mike Westbrook's Fats Domino piano triplets. At 4.00am in the morning. He also did a very good R3 series a few years back on the history of the baritone sax in jazz....Carney, Lars Gullin, Pepper Adams etc. Its just that I've never really taken to his music. MY failing, most people rate him very highly.

BN.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

'Now's The Time'
                  Sonny Rollins with Herbie Hancock, Thad Jones, Ron Carter/Bob Cranshaw & Roy McCurdy
                  RCA Victor (1964)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

‘Step Lightly’
                    Blue Mitchell with Leo Wright, Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Gene Taylor & Roy Brooks
                    Blue Note (1963)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

He's a very amiable approachable guy. My favourite memory is him roaming around the basement at Gerrard Street (Ronnie Scott's Old Place) playing a kind of R&B Rollins meets Lee Allan baritone to Mike Westbrook's Fats Domino piano triplets. At 4.00am in the morning. He also did a very good R3 series a few years back on the history of the baritone sax in jazz....Carney, Lars Gullin, Pepper Adams etc. Its just that I've never really taken to his music. MY failing, most people rate him very highly.

BN.
                      I once approached John at the end of a concert, remarking on the fact that he had shaved off his familiar beard. "The reason for that is I've been doing workshops with children, and I didn't want to scare them", he told me!

Comment

• Quarky
                        • Dec 2010

He seems to have developed a broad range of musical interests. Currently listening to The Dowland Project. A wide stretch from that to free jazz and The Trio!

Karin Krog is one of the few Jazz singers that make the cut with me: Infinite Paths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKNsJCQlSOY

European personalities/ Jazz and other influences.
                        Last edited by Quarky; 18-08-17, 09:06.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                          • Dec 2010

He seems to have developed a broad range of musical interests. Currently listening to The Dowland Project. A wide stretch from that to free jazz and The Trio!

Karin Krog is one of the few Jazz singers that make the cut with me: Infinite Paths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKNsJCQlSOY

European personalities/ Jazz and other influences.
                          Karin Krogg's album with Dexter Gordon's quartet (Inc Kenny Drew), "Some other spring" (1970 Sonet) is wonderful. Especially the title track and Blue Monk. Karin languidly Norwegianesque, Dexter navigating the fiords. She's John Surman's partner?

BN.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Art Pepper with tenorists Ted Brown & Warne Marsh from the 1956 album 'The Complete Free Wheeling Sessions'(LONE HILL JAZZ LHJ 10236).
                            Incidentally, Ted Brown turns 90 on December 1 this year and recently released a quartet album 'Live at Trumpets'(CADENCE CJR 1260) recorded in 2006 & 2010.
                            His website is www.tedbrownjazz.com

Ted Brown Sextet - Broadway (1956)Personnel: Art Pepper (alto sax), Ted Brown, Warne Marsh (tenor sax), Ronnie Ball (piano), Ben Tucker (bass), Jeff Morton (...

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Karin Krogg's album with Dexter Gordon's quartet (Inc Kenny Drew), "Some other spring" (1970 Sonet) is wonderful. Especially the title track and Blue Monk. Karin languidly Norwegianesque, Dexter navigating the fiords. She's John Surman's partner?

BN.
                              Yes, they are still "an item" as far as I am aware. I only ever spoke to Karin once, at one of the Bath festivals, possibly 1986, where she and John just appeared as a duo. That concert was notable for an unexpected event: my usually shy companion suddenly erupting and shouting "YEAH!!!" after Surman had improvised a particularly striking idea. It's just about audible on the C90 I recorded from the subsequent transmission of the event, though I wouldn't think it possible to hear my clapping at the end. Funny to think one is on record for ones part in several galaxies of applause, courtesy the broadcasting medium...

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                Yes, they are still "an item" as far as I am aware. I only ever spoke to Karin once, at one of the Bath festivals, possibly 1986, where she and John just appeared as a duo. That concert was notable for an unexpected event: my usually shy companion suddenly erupting and shouting "YEAH!!!" after Surman had improvised a particularly striking idea. It's just about audible on the C90 I recorded from the subsequent transmission of the event, though I wouldn't think it possible to hear my clapping at the end. Funny to think one is on record for ones part in several galaxies of applause, courtesy the broadcasting medium...
                                I know the feeling. I always liked to think I was "on" the two Tubby Hayes albums recorded at Ronnie Scotts...Down in the Village and Late Spot at Scotts, as I was there one night when they were setting up some recording gear with the quintet. But, after boasting for years I think I must have the dates wrong. So, no fame in Gerrard Street. And no royalties.

BN.

Comment

Working...
                                X