X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
    Same Blakey band, "Sam's tune" or "Sam you made the bridge too long" from 1957, which I bought on a 45 EP with Mal Waldron's "Mirage" on the other side. Still a huge favourite of mine...

http://youtu.be/6O-G1U8-V8k?feature=shared
    Thanks, BN. I have the Blue Note version of ‘Ritual’ which deserves to be better known. Love this edition of The Jazz Messengers.
    Here’s the same band playing Duke Jordan’s ‘Flight to Jordu’ recorded in 1957 but not released until 1966 on Cadet:

JR

Comment

• Tenor Freak
      • Dec 2010

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesVierd Blues · Tubby HayesTubby Hayes Quartet In Scandinavia℗ 1998 Storyville RecordsReleased on: 1998-04-20Auto...
      all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Tenor Freak
        • Dec 2010

Comment

• Mario
          • Aug 2020

I know nothing, but absolutely nothing about jazz. When I went to the Mardi Gras in New Orleans a few years ago, I was hypnotised by the music.

Finding it difficult to turn away from classical when I have some time, by accident I came across www.jazzradio.com. Again I was enraptured by the music.

Researching somewhat, I was stunned by the different “forms of jazz”. Wikipedia lists 57 varieties:

List of jazz genres - Wikipedia

When I sought help from the old BBC boards, I was met with some brutal vitriol. I assume they thought I was trolling. I wasn’t. As an absolutely new, total beginner, where should I start?

Thanks for any guidelines!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Mario View Post
            I know nothing, but absolutely nothing about jazz. When I went to the Mardi Gras in New Orleans a few years ago, I was hypnotised by the music.

Finding it difficult to turn away from classical when I have some time, by accident I came across www.jazzradio.com. Again I was enraptured by the music.

Researching somewhat, I was stunned by the different “forms of jazz”. Wikipedia lists 57 varieties:

When I sought help from the old BBC boards, I was met with some brutal vitriol. I assume they thought I was trolling. I wasn’t. As an absolutely new, total beginner, where should I start?

Most of the contributers to "the jass board" are longstanding lovers of the music and, as such, beholden to the people, bands, eras and styles we grew up with, so it's hard to recommend other than the usual names, such as Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker, Charles Mingus, Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Ornette Coleman as key shapers of the music, pick a range of tracks (we would all disagree on one being "representative") and see where it leads. Once inside what may seem from the scant publicity to be a small deal in terms of popular appeal you will find a Tardis-like edifice of many many rooms, each one leading into several others. Some of us have been exploring this capacious home of jazz for most of our lives. Good luck!

Comment

• Mario
              • Aug 2020

You've been more than helpful, SA, so many thanks. Even I have heard of some of the names you mention. I'll pursue those and take it from there.

Again thanks. I really do understand the task I've presented. If someone were to ask me the same for Classical, I would find it difficult to guide them.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

S_A mentions John Coltrane among others and I would recommend ‘The Very Best of John Coltrane’(Impulse! 549 913-2) - an excellent 10-track, 75-minute compilation of his Impulse! recordings which make a powerful impact.
                Here’s the shorter 1962 studio version of ‘Impressions’:

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupImpressions · John ColtraneThe Very Best Of John Coltrane℗ 2001 The Verve Music Group, a Division of UMG Recordin...

JR
                Last edited by Jazzrook; 06-09-24, 21:09.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                  • Dec 2010

"Berimbau" by Sérgio Mendes (RIP) (nearly typed "RIO" instead...ahem) and Brasil '66.

Comment

• Mario
                    • Aug 2020

Jazzrook,

Thanks for your advice.

I hope you mean this “Best of Coltrane” CD, ‘cause I’ve just ordered it! I only ask because it seems there’s quite a few “Best of” compilations for him.

The Very Best Of (Impulse Master Sessions): Amazon.de: CDs & Vinyl

This is exactly the sort of music Jazz Radio plays (is this a good jazz station BTW?).

Currently listening to Bix Beiderbecke (another new name of course).

To you and SA, again thanks. I’ve sent you both a PM.

Comment

• Mario
                      • Aug 2020

And now onto another new name,

Louis van Dyke - Triste

All on Jazz Radio.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                        • Mar 2011

Jazzrook,

Thanks for your advice.

I hope you mean this “Best of Coltrane” CD, ‘cause I’ve just ordered it! I only ask because it seems there’s quite a few “Best of” compilations for him.

The Very Best Of (Impulse Master Sessions): Amazon.de: CDs & Vinyl

This is exactly the sort of music Jazz Radio plays (is this a good jazz station BTW?).

Currently listening to Bix Beiderbecke (another new name of course).

To you and SA, again thanks. I’ve sent you both a PM.
                        Yes, that’s the one, Mario.
                        You could also try an 11-track, 75-minute compilation of his Atlantic recordings - ‘The Very Best of John Coltrane’(Rhino/Atlantic 8122-79778-2).

Here’s the haunting ‘Equinox’ on that album with McCoy Tyner, Steve Davis & Elvin Jones recorded in 1960:

Provided to YouTube by Rhino AtlanticEquinox · John ColtraneColtrane's Sound℗ 1964 Atlantic Recording Corporation for the United States and WEA International...

JR
                        Last edited by Jazzrook; 07-09-24, 21:15.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                          • Dec 2010

I don't think you can go wrong with Herbie Hancock. He might have made some slightly dubious artistic decisions around the late 1970s and early 1980s, but you will definitely find something in his back catalogue that will tick all the boxes. He can swing like crazy on blues or funk, acoustic or electric, straight-ahead or abstract music.

For example here is a compo of his Blue Note albums as a leader - incidentally the first CD I bought:

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupWatermelon Man · Herbie HancockThe Best Of Herbie Hancock℗ A Blue Notes Records release; ℗ 1962 Capitol Records, ...

His most popular is probably his 1970s funk phase: Headhunters, Thrust, Secrets are the top ones but a lot of us also like his Sextet from the late '60s-early '70s, in my case the Mwandishi album is worthy of anyone's time; it's a bit difficult to get into but rewards repeated listening. I also love the LP Sunlight.

Provided to YouTube by Columbia/LegacyGentle Thoughts · Herbie HancockSecrets℗ 1976 Columbia Records, a division of Sony Music EntertainmentReleased on: 1976...

Provided to YouTube by Columbia/LegacySly · Herbie HancockHead Hunters℗ 1973 Columbia Records, a division of Sony Music EntertainmentReleased on: 1973-10-26C...

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                            • Dec 2010

Seems to be a link limit here so here are some more:

Provided to YouTube by Rhino/Warner RecordsOstinato (Suite for Angela) · Herbie HancockMwandishi: The Complete Warner Bros. Recordings℗ 1971 Warner Records I...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cUMuj26zz4&list=OLAK5uy_kaWlfavcF4IAt7mXq5YnptEJhn UOMIMJA&index=2

Comment

• Mario
                              • Aug 2020

Thanks to all.

I must again thank Jazzrook particularly who has helped me start my journey into Jazz at the ripe old age of 72!

My head is spinning (see what I did there?) with all the names recommended.

May I please ask again, without taking over the thread, is www.jazzradio.com a good jazz station?

I love it!

I promise not to personise this thread any further. Enough about me, I think.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

John Coltrane with Red Garland, Paul Chambers & Art Taylor playing guitarist Fred Lacey’s ‘Theme For Ernie’ recorded on February 7, 1958.
                                It was dedicated to alto saxophonist Ernie Henry who died aged 31 on December 29, 1957.

Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, t...

JR
                                Last edited by Jazzrook; 11-09-24, 18:16.

Comment

Working...
                                X