• Show
Clear All
  • burning dog
    • Dec 2010

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post

I love Henry Lowthers tone and style. I remember the North Circular from that era - IKEA induced traffic jams and "M Khan is Bent" painted on a bridge
      Perhaps the graffitist meant "Brent"!!!

Comment

• burning dog
        • Dec 2010

From the same period a favourite of mine

Tracklist:A1 Flare-Up 0:00 A2 Go West 4:01A3 Where Fortune Smiles 10:36 A4 Scarlet Mine 14:13A5 Third Road 18:07B1 Flow Stream Flow 23:37 B2 The Other Side...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
          From the same period a favourite of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reu3pFJ-vvY
          Tremendous period for British jazz, that was - so many recordings one can still listen to again and again, and find excitement, freshness, compatibility and astonishing creativity. Last night Soweto Kinch played a track from Alan Skidmore's Once Upon a Time (1969) - this one, I think. Look at the line-up!

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupOnce Upon A Time · The Alan Skidmore QuintetOnce Upon A Time....℗ 1969 Decca Music Group LimitedReleased on: 1970...

Comment

• burning dog
            • Dec 2010

SA - Tony Oxley is outstanding on that album

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Tremendous period for British jazz, that was - so many recordings one can still listen to again and again, and find excitement, freshness, compatibility and astonishing creativity. Last night Soweto Kinch played a track from Alan Skidmore's Once Upon a Time (1969) - this one, I think. Look at the line-up!

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupOnce Upon A Time · The Alan Skidmore QuintetOnce Upon A Time....℗ 1969 Decca Music Group LimitedReleased on: 1970...

Alan Skidmore talking about his album ‘After The Rain’:

Alan Skidmore talking about his CD 'After The Rain' released on Miles Music.

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                • Dec 2010

I have been listening to the late Vic Juris' album ' Let's cool one' which was essential listening during the pandemic. The album is largely a quartet date but with three duos and material associated with other guitarists such as Towner, Abercrombie and Burrell. I loved this album when I first heard it . A colleague of mine once described the Criss Cross label of being championship level of jazz artists. I think that was an apt description but albums like this belay just how good rhe mainstream jazz can be. Gary Versace is on piano.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

Dave Holland Quintet....2009 Les Pommiers....Never heard this before what a really tremendous 90 minutes - best I've heard in some time ....elegant....happy... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxZDxQqHdy8
                  bong ching

Comment

• burning dog
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                    Dave Holland Quintet....2009 Les Pommiers....Never heard this before what a really tremendous 90 minutes - best I've heard in some time ....elegant....happy... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxZDxQqHdy8
                    Excellent 😊

Quite recent here

Renowned bassist, composer and bandleader Dave Holand brought to Prague's Jazz Dock an amazing trio. The concert was sold out and offered an incredible exper...

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

Dayo....Daayo....too piercing man , too piercing....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXE1FPRP7nE
                      bong ching

Comment

• burning dog
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                        Dayo....Daayo....too piercing man , too piercing....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXE1FPRP7nE
                        Fair point. It's a power trio with acoustic bass. I have to be in the mood for it.

Comment

• burning dog
                          • Dec 2010

classic from 51 years ago

Album : Conference Of The Birds, ECM, 1973.Personnel :Dave Holland (bass)Sam Rivers (reeds & flute)Anthony Braxton (reeds & flute)Barry Altschul (percussions)

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

For those preferring something a little more relaxing, "Blues in the closet" by Arnette Cobb from the early 60s Prestige album "Party Time".

I've been listening to Cobb all afternoon and only really thought of him before as a "Flying Home" guy, but he was a superb ballad player and the series of albums he recorded for Prestige & Moodsville after a hellish road accident (crushed legs, flat on his back for a year) are exceptional.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                              • Dec 2010

Arnette Cobb was one of my Dad's favourite saxophonists and was someone whose music I grew up with although more frequently as a member of some of Lionel Hampton's bands. I quite like players like Cobb, Illinois Jacquet and Lock Jaw Davis. They all played with character and I feel there musicianship is overlooked these days. The late 40s boppish records Jacquet made with Joe Newman in the late forties are excellent.

It perplexs me that some of the traits of these musicians are so out of fashion yet the ability to swing like that is almost a lost art. The nearest I have witnessed to that in concert has been James Carter and although he was being hyped alot in the 1990s, I feel he is overlooked these days. I think jazz has become too polite in many respects.

Dave Holland is exceptional. I think he is amazingly consistent on record. Easily one of the best bandleaders in jazz over the last 40 years. He just does not seem to do average. He is also supposed to be a real gent.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

James Newton with Bobby Hutcherson, Ron Carter & Tony Williams playing Dolphy’s tribute to Monk, ‘Hat And Beard’ live at Town Hall, New York in 1985:

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupHat And Beard (Live At Town Hall, New York/1985) · James Newton · Ron Carter · Tony Williams · Bobby HutchersonOn...

JR

Comment

Working...
                                X